PDA

View Full Version : Alternator

Cuda
01-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Will these two alternators interchange?

mrfixxall
01-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Do you have dual batterys? if so check the battery switch to see if it has the alternator wire cut out wire going to it.Their should be a 10ga wirre going to it for the alternator.if their is jump the wires together and see if your volt or amp guage goes up......good luck..

That alternator should work...

Cuda
01-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Single battery. I took the unistalled one to Auto Zone to be checked, but they didn't have the proper jumper for the machine. I guess one of these days I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and by multitester that checks amp dc. Those are the expensive ones. :(

txtaz
01-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Joe, You can test it with a voltmeter. Put the postitive lead on the alt output and the black to a ground. With the motor off look at the voltage (about 12volts or so). Start the motor and rev to 1000-1200 test again in the same place. If it's 13-14.5 your alternator is working.
Hope this helps,
Da Taz

Cuda
01-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Joe, You can test it with a voltmeter. Put the postitive lead on the alt output and the black to a ground. With the motor off look at the voltage (about 12volts or so). Start the motor and rev to 1000-1200 test again in the same place. If it's 13-14.5 your alternator is working.
Hope this helps,
Da Taz
I did basically the same test this morning. I measured the voltage with the engine off, then measured it with the engine running. I didn't see any difference. I called my dad to see if I was doing it right, and he said I was. I was measuring across the battery. He said if the battery was completely charged, it wouldn't show much difference. I had it on the charger all night. I was using an analog meter, I have a digital somewhere around here that I can't find. :(

MOP
01-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Joe just for S&G hook the meter to ground then hook it the hot terminal on the alternator should read full bat volts, I just went throught this with a bud. Everything pointed to a bad Alt, turned out the hot lead had been crimp connected along the way and way it was corroded and not making contact. It had no juice at the hot terminal which we found out AFTER we put a new Alt on that still did not work!

Phil

BUIZILLA
01-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Cuda, I just happen to have that exact voltage regulator out here in the garage... that's all that goes bad with them.

JH

DAULEY
01-06-2006, 08:57 AM
hopfully you got the problem fixed and you are enjoying your new toy[or should i say DEBS new toy]

Cuda
01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
All this week, I've been enjoying this flu Deb gave me.:mad:

DON N.
01-06-2006, 06:50 PM
I Remember A Trick Some One Showed Me. You Take A 1/2 Inch Wrench, A Box And Open End, Place The Box End Between Your Thumb And Fore Finger ( Loosely) Then Hold The Open End Part About An Inch And 1/2 Behind The Rear ( Center ) Of The Altenator. If The Wrench Pulls To The Center ( Needle Bearing Cap ) The Altenator Is Charging If It Didn't Magnetically Pull The Diodes Were Bad. ( The Engine Has To Be Running So Be Careful With Shirt Sleeves ).