PDA

View Full Version : Picture Question

DonziJon
01-01-2006, 07:04 PM
What is the largest picture (Kb) you can upload to this board as a thumbnail, that will Just Fill your screen?? Small pictures ..say 49 kb don't fill the screen when opened. I'm looking for the max size (Kb) that will JUST fill the screen without having to pan around to see the whole picture. :banghead:

I have two pictures (historic) that most on this board have probably not seen that I think some would enjoy. (I NOW know how to resize.) I have a Dial Up so that's my perspective. George has probably seen at least one. DJ :wavey:

EDIT: One of the pictures I have is 1.6 Mb and it fits my screen perfect.

gcarter
01-01-2006, 07:24 PM
If you look at the pics I posted under "Good boating today", they were shot with a 5 MP camera. I resized all of them to 8.25" X 11", but the are anywhere from 140 kb to 250 kb.

DonziJon
01-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks George. I didn't go on line yesterday so I'm late with a response. I'm going to fool around with various re-sizing methods today. My camera is also 5.0 Mp. One of the pictures I was working with was 3.4 Mb before I cropped it. Now that one is just under 1.0 Mb. Cropping the other one would be a crime. (I always like to start out thinking big.) :smash: DJ

pmreed
01-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Cropping and resizing are not always the same thing. Resizing as we're talking about it is keeping the same picture composition, but reducing the resolution. Look at my avatar...it's 1.69 KB. The original cropped image I started with was 70KB. Exact same picture, but much more detail in the original.

I use ArcSoft Photostudio that came with my camera to do the job.

Phil

DonziJon
01-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks George, Phil. I've since learned (actually veered into) a way to get pictures to go out "Big" in Emails. I have sent my wife pictures at work, via Email that were quite big. Say 1.6 Mb. After they are sent (Email) I check the send size and they are something like...less than 200 Kb. They arrive at her address full screen.

I tried different size pictures, and they all arrive full size and NOT requiring panning around to see them. The size of the original doesn't seem to matter. One was 3.1 Mb. They arrive full size but NOT requiring panning around to see the whole picture. By the way, over my Dial Up this doesn't take more than 20 seconds to go out. SO: I must still be missing something. How does a 1.6 Mb picture go out at less than 200Kb??? Maybe I should just accept the fact that they ARE getting there.

I looked at a recent For Sale boat on this board with pictures at 1.2 Mb and "Panning" around WAS required. Maybe I need a NAP. ;)

RedDog
01-04-2006, 10:10 AM
File size as in MB does not necessarily correspond to picture size as in the size on your screen.

Screen size correlates to the image pixels. A good size for posting is 480 x 640. Another factor that affects screen size is the resolution your monitor is set to in dpi (dots per inch).

Some e-mail programs will resize your picture automatically when you sena a picture.

Yes, all this will make your head hurt.

DonziJon
01-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks RedDog. I just wrote that number down..480 X 640. I've seen numbers similar to that somewhere. I'm going to try that. While I was busy sending picture Emails to my wife at work yesterday, using different "settings", she Emailed me back with some numbers...similar to the ones you mention above..but about half the value. The "other" numbers she mentioned were clearly recognized by myself as the "Screen Resolution" of her monitor. She didn't know what that meant, so I, ..being the computer expert, and always on top of the latest info, told her; Hey Hun: Don't worry about that, that's just your screen resolution. "That's got nuthin to do with this picture problem." :bonk:
As long as I learn somthing new every day or so.....DJ :wink: