PDA

View Full Version : Debbie loves her boat!

Cuda
01-01-2006, 03:43 PM
We took the 22 out for the first time today. We launched at the park on the St John's at Hwy 44. I ran it north to about Hontoon Island to be sure it was going to behave ok, then I turned it over to Debbie, since it's her boat. She loved driving it. You should have seen the look on her face.:)

It ran great, we went about six miles downriver then turned around to como back. As we got to the idle zone just before the boat launch, it started missing, then died. It wouldn't crank, the battery was dead. :(

I got someone to pull us the quarter mile to the boat launch, and we got her home, with just minor cussing and screaming at that trailer. :) I hate trailers with those pivot type bow stops, they never want to go on right.

Other than that, it was a fantastic ride, we both couldn't be happier with the way it ran. I think I need some more prop, we were running over 4000 with quite a bit of throttle left. I had a 21 cleaver on it. I have a 23 cleaver, a 23 Mirage+, and a 24 Turbo. What should I try next?

I've got it on the charger right now, I'm not sure if it's a bad battery, or the alternator is not charging. I'm leaning towards the alternator. I think I have a spare around here somewhere.

Cuda
01-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Video.
1-1-2006 011.avi (http://www.zippyvideos.com/4482783682966956/1-1-2006_011/*cuda)

DonziJon
01-01-2006, 05:13 PM
I had a friend who had a 1979 Ferrari 308 GTS. He kept in my garage. The alternator was caput. Gettinng the alternator out of the car was a Real Problem. The car wasn't driven that often.. SO the solution was to drive the car on the battery. Fresh charge,..The car would run ALL Day..Say 150 miles?? No lights of course. There were no hickups. Just to be safe I carried an extra battery. Never had to use it. Food for thought. :confused: DJ

Edit: Is that a fine Avatar..or what??

Cuda
01-01-2006, 05:22 PM
It just so happens, I have a spare alternator. I'll see tomorrow if it's the same one. It came off my Minx. One time I tried to take it out, and the alternator was making a squalling sound. Gcarter had an extra at his place, so we ran and I bought it. I found out later, it wasn't the alternator, it was a loose bracket.:banghead:

gcarter
01-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Joe, I'm glad the weather forecast changed and it didn't rain.
Yep I remember the alternator. Nice new single wire. Really easy to hook up.:smash: You, sorry, Debbie should be able to change it easily.:jestera:
Elaine and I went bicycling.

Cuda
01-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Joe, I'm glad the weather forecast changed and it didn't rain.
Yep I remember the alternator. Nice new single wire. Really easy to hook up.:smash: You, sorry, Debbie should be able to change it easily.:jestera:
Elaine and I went bicycling.
G, we may run the river again tomorrow, if I get things sorted out, or maybe run your way towards the lakes. How long do you plan on having the Minx down for repair?

catch 22
01-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Debbie, You did'nt have Joe slapping the dash did you. Glad to here everything went well ( For the most part). Try the 23 mirage +. It worked good on my boat. Seeya Jim :wavey:

Cuda
01-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Debbie, You did'nt have Joe slapping the dash did you. Glad to here everything went well ( For the most part). Try the 23 mirage +. It worked good on my boat. Seeya Jim :wavey:
I did point out to her that I didn't grab the Oh **** bar like I did on your boat!:D

When are you going to drag your boat up this way? We can run with gcarter and your dad in the lakes.

catch 22
01-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Joe, Please don't tell me that a TOON boat pulled you in. :biggrin:

gcarter
01-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Jim, that only happens to me!!!!!:jestera:

Cuda
01-01-2006, 07:20 PM
No, it was some pos bowrider with four rednecks from Ocala. I was damn glad to see them though! :)

Cuda
01-01-2006, 07:25 PM
We saw this Donzi several times today. We saw it this morning when we were going to Home Depot to buy the numbers, then we saw it while we were running down the river, then we saw it at the ramp, pulling out. I never did get a chance to talk to them.

gcarter
01-01-2006, 07:39 PM
There's a Hornet somewhere around here that we have passed in Dead River, the guy won't even acknowledge there's another boat on the water, much less another Donzi.
Joe, I won't get started on it till we move. That may be as late as the 15th.

If you get over here, give me a call...my cell # is 352-267-9801.

BUIZILLA
01-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Joe, if it started good and you only went 6 miles...... then it started *missing and shut off*...

I'm not sooooo sure it's the battery..... try the Minx battery, or one from the F boat.....

if you still have a problem, i'll take a stab at what I think it really is..... get a spark plug wrench handy, I know you hate bilges though...

JH

Cuda
01-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Joe, if it started good and you only went 6 miles...... then it started *missing and shut off*...
I'm not sooooo sure it's the battery..... try the Minx battery, or one from the F boat.....
if you still have a problem, i'll take a stab at what I think it really is..... get a spark plug wrench handy, I know you hate bilges though...
JH
Jim, it had a couple of misses at idle. I think it needs new plugs, plug wires, and for me to change to that new distributor. I also should point out that I had the blower on the whole trip, and somehow, the running lights got turned on too. I'm thinking the alternator, because the engine should still run with a bad battery if the alternator is working. The battery is taking a good charge for quite a while.