PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous Web Surfing.. A Good Thing?

pmreed
01-01-2006, 01:43 PM
I've recently read that using an "anonymizer" is a good thing. First of all, you can apparently visit commercial sites and see all the deals, not just the ones tailored to your past buying history. In addition, you don't leave a trace for sites you visit to begin bombarding you with spam. At the same time, I guess that whatever service you use to "anonymize" would have all your surfing activity available for their own purposes, unless they guarantee deletion.

Is there any benefit to using one of these services; if so, who's good, and what are the pros and cons?

Phil

McGary911
01-03-2006, 05:30 PM
There are several sites like that out there that I am aware of. They all slow down your browsing from what I've seen. Your employer may not be thrilled if you access the sites from work (if they aren't blocked). They do have their place. For some reason, for the last year or so, I haven't been able to access Donzi.net due to my IP being blocked from home. That leaves me to either sign onto my work VPN, or use something like http://anonymouse.ws/anonwww.html . I like that one better than anonymizer. Anonymizer doesn't work well for bulleting boards, as it won't let you see images or multi page threads on the BBsoftware.

As for the anonymous sites tracking your movements \ browsing habits....It would be VERY easy for them to do.