PDA

View Full Version : HYdrfaulic steering install

Last Real Texan
12-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Well just about finished with this install doing it myself, the thing is not to bad of an install other than drilling holes in the transom...
I have the whole thing done except for mounting the rams on the transom. I used an IMCO end cap and drilled out the extra holes for the end cap...not to scarry, drilled new holes in the dash for the new style IMCO helm , again not too bad...now lets get to pulling the 4 hydraulic lines...what a pain in the arse!, it is done now but what a pain. Mounted all the adel clips on the hydraulic lines and the securing of the filter... Now it was time to drill holes in the transom for the oil line tubes ....I put the fitting right above the outdrive and on fitting will feed both rams , nice and clean. That was kind of weird drilling holes in the transom but now .........
I still have to get the rams placed and bolted up. This is where it is getting scarry. I have yet to actually drill the holes....that is today. The rams I am using are Hynautic K-5 cylinders and have a big mounting bracket attacthed to the ram with a solid u joint type connector and I am having a time getting the propper dimension for the mounting location. I have the propper plane to the crank center line but the dimension ffrom the gimble housing is another story. What I have done at this point is connect the ram, put the drive full over and compress the ram all the way and mark on the transom, next extend the ram full over to the other side and mark the transom. I have done this on both side and the marks are equall on both =sides but they differ about 2.5 inches from full lock to full extension on each side make sense . I guess the only thing to do is make sure tha placement puts these rams when the port ram is fully compressed and the starboard ram fully extended , and the same on the other side, this is my turning radius and that is that. Am I correct? Just drill the holes !
Well it is all finished except getting the lines made for the rams outside. Measured , and measured until I thoght it was right and it is. Full lock extended = full lock compressed on the other side and Vice versa.... This is tough to do by yourself with no extra hands....and no guide to go by. The guys at IMCO said it was ok to be above the crank centerline by an inch....I am above it by 1/2 inch, this kept me out of the stringer support and allowed me to through bolt all 4 bolts on both sides.
I don't like drilling holes in my transom....Glad that part is over.
And here is where I put the feed tube for the hydraulic fluidjust above the gimble housing......Lts of silicone went into this hole as well as all the others
Sorry no pics but I cant get my pictures to upload to the galleries...
Thanks.
Bryan

DAULEY
12-29-2005, 06:37 PM
how about some pixs

mrfixxall
12-29-2005, 06:58 PM
brian,,check your measurements with the drive up before you drill the holes for the rams..If you put tape on the transm ware your drilling it will help keep the gel from chipping whyle your drilling..Good luck.
mike

Last Real Texan
12-29-2005, 07:02 PM
http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC03446.JPG
how about some pixs
Let me see if I can get them from OSOhttp://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC03443.JPG,http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC03431.JPG

Last Real Texan
12-29-2005, 07:07 PM
brian,,check your measurements with the drive up before you drill the holes for the rams..If you put tape on the transm ware your drilling it will help keep the gel from chipping whyle your drilling..Good luck.
mike
Taped off the whole area to do the measuring and such, was real nice to see sharpie on blue tape rather than white Gel. I measured 500 times and I think I got it. here is a pic with the drive up, no binding anywhere.http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC03457.JPG in the end one side fully extended and the other side fully compressed , it must be right. it is the same on both sides. Will have to wait and see when I can start it, and bleed the system out. I still do not have any low water pick up muffs. Any one have one they dont need anymore?
Bryan

MOP
12-29-2005, 07:23 PM
I have only been involved in two dual ram installs so I do stand to be corrected! We marked the rams fully colapsed then extended them measured and marked mid travel, we then carefully centered the drive and blocked so it could not move. We hooked the rams in place Moved them to the mid marks and then drilled the holes.

Phil

MOP
12-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Damn was typing while you put up the shots, looks like a nice solid setup. I have alway liked the K5's, super easy to rebuild.

Phil