PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Phonebook

txtaz
12-27-2005, 05:18 PM
I have the Donzi Phonebook available for Beta testing. Some features have yet to be added such as storing DB graphics, email functions and dynamic tab creation for other books. But they will be added soon.
If you would like to be a tester email me. Wes.Wilhour@sbcglobal.net
I have decided to ship it with a blank database since only two people responded to being pre-loaded.
Also, you need to have a broadband internet connection since the installation file is 5.2Meg.

Da Taz

DonCig
12-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Send it on this way.

Don

txtaz
12-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Updates to the phone book can be found here
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/wes.wilhour@sbcglobal.net/lst?.dir=/My+Documents&.view=l
I know, I know...The reports need work. They are my pet peeves. BUT I will struggle through them. Please report any bugs, errors or enhancments to wes.wilhour@sbcglobal.net
Things to do still include the graphics programming for individuals boat, envelope printing and emailing. Plus anything else you guys/girls can come up with. I have free time till next Tuesday so let's get suggestions in.
Da Taz

Team Jefe
12-29-2005, 03:24 PM
shoot me a copy...if I can work it, anybody can.

txtaz
12-29-2005, 03:42 PM
It's official...Yahoo sucks. Sometimes I can get to the shared folders on it and sometimes I can't. I appologize to those who have tried to get it. I will find a new hosting location.
Da Taz <<--Look for new Boat Registry integration soon

txtaz
12-29-2005, 03:52 PM
OK, Let's try this site...
www.donziphonebook.com
The domain takes a few hours to set up.
Da Taz

txtaz
12-29-2005, 05:32 PM
www.donziphonebook.com will be up tomorrow with updates and notes.

Notes on the Donzi phone book.

The first time you install it, you need the full installation package. 5.2Mgs. After a full install, you can update the program by downloading the .exe or dbf files depending on what has changed.

NOTE: This program is in BETA testing. Do not put too much information in it until all changes have been made. If the data structure changes, you will lose your records unless you know how to manipulate DB4 data files.

To use the auto dial feature you must have a modem and have it connected to a working phone line. The Com port must be set correctly in the setup screen. To find the correct com port go to control panel, Phones and modems, click the modem tab and it will say which com port it is on.

If you are using a calling card, in the setup screen click the check box and enter the telco (i.ei 1-800-Something) and card number. When entering phone numbers in the phone book do not place a “1” before the number if using calling cards.
If you are dialing direct, place a “1” before the area code.
If the number is local, DO not put the area code in.

The E Mail buttons next to email fields pull up the default installed email program on your computer. You know the rest.

You can create as many phone books as you like. Each one will show up on it’s separate tab. Each tab is limited to 25 characters. I had to pick some limit.

You can move or copy records to any phone book. You can also delete individual records or an entire phone book. You can rename an entire phone book also.

The printing is pretty basic stuff. The envelope print is for a 4.5x9.5” business envelope. Go to WalMart and get the security peel and seal, No licking and they don’t get stuck together in a laser printer. Your printer should have an envelope alignment picture on the feed. The list printing is just names and phone numbers. I might write more based on feedback. REMEMBER I do not like writing reports so don’t go all nuts on me.

BE CAREFUL that the correct tab and/or record is selected prior to deleting. There is no way to undelete a record in a DB4 table.

You can also have several tables but the tabs in the program will be the same. This is because I used a configuration file for program setup and some database population and a separate database for record storage. I may rethink this in the future. In order to use several separate tables you need a tool that copies DB4 tables including the BLOB table (.DBT) and indexes (.MDX).

Give me ideas on reports that would be useful and indexing you would like to see. Or anything else for that matter.

Features yet to be added:
1. Individual boat pictures for each record
2. Various indexing methods
3. Anything else people come up with

EMAIL suggestions, gripes or homage to txtaz@donzi.net.

txtaz
12-31-2005, 11:11 AM
OK, So the www.DonziPhoneBook.com will not be up for a few days. Hey, they promissed 24 hour setup for the domain and I believed them. Color me a sucker. BUT I will email people with the latest build. Just shoot me an email with the subject "Beta Tester" and I will email it to you.
I would really like to get feedback over the next three days so changes can be made and Version 1 can be finalized and released. I may be working full time starting on Wednesday which would leave little time to make changes.
Please help get this out for all our friends to use.
Thank you.
Da Taz

txtaz
12-31-2005, 01:43 PM
The www.donziphonebook.com is now online. Nothing fansy but it gets the job done. Everything you need is located there.
Da Taz

boxy
01-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Wes, thanks for all of your support.

txtaz
01-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Boxy it was a combination.
New updates for the program at www.donziphonebook.com

Added sorting and searching plus some small stuff.
Da Taz

txtaz
01-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Final release should be ready today or tomorrow. I'm coding new features like pushing out data fields and field definitions, table maintenace, saving tables to a new name, web updater (if I have time) and maybe a messaging feature so you can chat with your buddies who have the program open. It will be like the popups on the board that says you have a new message, except it will have the message your buddy wrote to you and you can reply.
We'll see, I have to take MrsTxTaz' kitten to the vet. Who knows how long that will take.
Be sure to visit the forum at http://www.donziphonebook.com//cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl
Da Taz

txtaz
01-06-2006, 03:55 PM
OK, It's almost done. I've decided to wait on pushing out table fields and definitions. I'm also waiting on the web updater. I think I can make the web updater push out and correct any table discrepancies. This way the user doesn't need to do anything. If I allow a dynamic table push (adding or deleting of fields) there will be lost data and problems. I just keep thinking of my Dad trying to do this and cringing. No offense to anyone here (or Dad), but I program for a user like my Dad.
Table mainenance is done as well as saving to a new file (great for backups). I added some speed keys and getting ready to do mouse over help (talk about rote programming).
The last thing to do is the graphics programming. I'm debating between a new window to show the current records boat, display in the main window or an option for both. Knowing me, I'll go for both.
Hope you guys have a big screen because this thing is getting bigger and bigger.
The webupdate will come after the initial release. I want time to work on it.
IF you have data in the tables and want to save it. Send the 3 database files to me and I will manually push your tables and send them back. Information can be found on www.donziphonebook.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl
Of course powered by Taz
Da Taz