PDA

View Full Version : "Old Boat" owners - I need Insurance

myfinancialadviser
12-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Re-doing insurance on my 1977 27 Magnum. Majority of insurance compnaies will not take the boat because it's "old"
For those of you with older boats who do you use for insurance? What kind price as well if you dont mind.
thanks for the help and recommendations.

txtaz
12-27-2005, 12:16 PM
I only insure my home, auto and storage unit with Farmers. If anything happenes to it on the truck, at the house or storage unit it's covered. Otherwise be safe.
Da Taz

Carl C
12-27-2005, 12:26 PM
I only insure my home, auto and storage unit with Farmers. If anything happenes to it on the truck, at the house or storage unit it's covered. Otherwise be safe.
Da Taz Wes, most homeowner policies exclude coverage for any type of motor vehicle. I would try BoatU.S. Call 800-283-2883 for a quotation.

txtaz
12-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Carl, My agent swears the boat is covered while here at the house. Maybe I should actually read the policy.
Thanks for the heads up.
Da Taz

Schnook
12-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Taz, I'm sure you can get countless stories like this, but a friend had his 64 vette parked in his shop and his agent (allstate) swore it was covered - until the fire. Sometimes they don't know, or don't want to risk losing business by telling you something you don't want to hear. I've got mine listed on my auto policy right along with the cars. The premium wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either.

gcarter
12-27-2005, 06:46 PM
The Minx is covered by State Farm, not particularly cheap, but then I have six other vehicles insured through them.

penbroke
12-27-2005, 07:59 PM
I only insure my home, auto and storage unit with Farmers. If anything happenes to it on the truck, at the house or storage unit it's covered.
Da Taz

I expect you'll be in for an unpleasent suprise if there was a problem...

Frank
Covered.

penbroke
12-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Back to the original question: My '66 18 is insured with National Marine Underwriters (NMU.com). Price is about the same as my '86 Sea Ray 250 with Progressive. Both (each) at about $350/yr. with 300K liability.

Frank
Covered and carefull.

harbormaster
12-28-2005, 05:41 AM
Hey Wes,

As far as I am concerned, to hell with the boat. I would be more concerned with liability and losing everything I own due to a bad event that happens on the water. No matter how careful you are, there is always some braindead loser out there ready to complicate things.

One example would if you mix it up with an idiotic PWC (jetski) driver.
In alot of cases the high perrformance boat would be accused of being the bad guy.

As far as insurance companies go, Progressive Insurance down here has been pretty good to folks.

Walt. H.
12-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Yes i'm more worried/concerned about liability too!!!

A swimmer
A kayak you just didn't see in time etc, $hit happens every now & then we can screw up or its a mechanical related event. At least with insurance you'll sleep better, it won't help the emotional pain but at least the financial consequences are covered so your not paying for it out of your salery for the next twenty years.

Some people call their "lawyer" before calling a doctor..:banghead::bonk:

MOP
12-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Adding to Scot's thing about liability, my brother was head of security for Robins Island. On day while running back to the main land a wind surfer jumped the wake of his patrol boat, the guy lost it and fell against the boat. Yup the idiot got a good attorney and sued the very wealthy owner of the island. Even though witnesses said he jumped the wake and the operator (my brother) more then likely did not see him coming the guy won a 7 digit amount.

Phil