PDA

View Full Version : Trim: How much?

synack
12-26-2005, 02:15 PM
I was going through some old posts and saw that people were saying to trim the 22ZX drive up 1/4 to 1/2. I normally just stopped at 1/4 when I trimmed up.

What's the difference ride wise between 1/4 and 1/2? What do you gain by going to 1/2 and when would you go to 1/2 as opposed to 1/4?

Chili 18
12-26-2005, 08:02 PM
For my lake, it depends on the wave action and how mush I want to fly vs using the bow to break waves \/\/\/ vs a cozy cruise with the tabs holding bow down but the prop giving lift. At some point........ Its art. not science.

Oh... mine is "just" an 18... The zx must have its own wants and needs...

Cheers

Uncle Fester
12-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Too many factors to figure into the equation. Volvo or Merc, trim tabs or no trim tabs, size of trim tabs, empty boat or loaded, do you want to go faster and porpoise or slower and crush the waves?

My ZX has a bad porpoise problem. I have a Volvo and run about 1/4 most of the time. However I have to counter act the trim by dropping the tabs to keep the porpoise down. This seems to lift the whole arse of the boat out of the water and she really flies. Just got to remember to pull the tabs back up before turning or it will spin you 180 so fast you'll be cleaning your underwear for a month.

joseph m. hahnl
12-29-2005, 04:56 PM
I was going through some old posts and saw that people were saying to trim the 22ZX drive up 1/4 to 1/2. I normally just stopped at 1/4 when I trimmed up.
What's the difference ride wise between 1/4 and 1/2? What do you gain by going to 1/2 and when would you go to 1/2 as opposed to 1/4?

you get more cavitation at the prop and it will raise the hull further out of the water reducing drag and friction. The more you go the faster you go.
the adverse affect is you loose some of the drivabilty as less of the boat is in the water. when turning you bring the trim down so as not to over cavitate in the turn. porpoising will also occur at lower speeds and less at top speed.

There is so much cause and effect to explain all of it is very pain staking to put into words .

so to sum it up: you'll get more rpm, less drag ,but more porpoising and less drivabilty.

joe

mattyboy
12-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Joe,
if this zx is a step boat normal triming rules don't apply especially in turns
as uncle fester said