PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to be included in a phonebook?

txtaz
12-24-2005, 10:15 AM
I am writing a custom phone book just for our Donzi friends. The database will include pictures of the members boat and you can customize the main picture with your own.
If you would like your contact information pre-loaded in the database email me at wes.wilhour@sbcglobal.net. In the subject line put "phone book" so I can sort the info coming in.
This information will only be used for the Donzi Phonebook and only downloadable here.
Have a Merry Christmas.
Da Taz <<-- Hymm, I should add a auto dialer and email feature
Here is a screen shot and yes that is Air Man Mike.

Lenny
12-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a great idea Wes... :yes:

TuxedoPk
12-24-2005, 02:56 PM
I agree- sounds like a great idea. I'd probably run the idea past Harbormaster of incorporating the Registry which is sorely outdated and could use a good clean up. Doesn't make much sense to me to have two sets of people and boats on the board.

The price for the idea- 1 rep point. The benefit to the board, priceless :)

txtaz
12-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Rich, I had discussed this with the HarborMaster. He agrees that it should be an opt in option. So only those who wish to have their contact info known to other registry members should email me.
Ummm, Pissy Fuzzy one. Don't worry, I will not let out any information for people who do not wish it. BTW, You can add only the inforamtion you would like to have other people know from the board only...such as email addy, etc.
Da Taz <<--- Mad computer scientist

TuxedoPk
12-24-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm also in agreement that it should be totally opt-in as to the extent a person wishes to disclose their actual first or surname, email, phone, or address

BUT-

I still think that if we have a database of registry boats, and a database of registered board members, then the fields your are talking about having people opt-in on should be tied to the other databases rather than being yet another unique database.

Am I missing a reason why this would not be an approriate approach?

RedDog
12-24-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm also in agreement that it should be totally opt-in as to the extent a person wishes to disclose their actual first or surname, email, phone, or address
BUT-
I still think that if we have a database of registry boats, and a database of registered board members, then the fields your are talking about having people opt-in on should be tied to the other databases rather than being yet another unique database.
Am I missing a reason why this would not be an approriate approach?
Tux - haven't you been checking the news lately? We - umm - I mean THEY already know about you.... :lookaroun

txtaz
12-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Rich, It is only one database. There are tags in it to decern what tab the program will use for which page. For example you create a new tab for your christmas mailing list, whomever is in that Tag list shows on that tab or whatever tag list you choose to create. If people choose not to add their contact info in the pre-loaded database, that's fine. They just need to add who they want manually. No biggy. I was just trying to save some people time.
I already have the auto dial feature working. It's cool, go to the person you want to talk to and press dial. I'm going to set it up for calling cards also. Some of us have had it with cell phones. I think I called DonCig 20 times today just testing the feature.:jestera:
Have a good christmas.
Da Taz

mattyboy
12-27-2005, 08:21 AM
It would make those 3 am drunk calls from the events a whole hell of alot easier :spit: :p

penbroke
12-27-2005, 08:16 PM
How would it be distributed? What would be required to access it? How do we keep the information out of the "wrong hands"? Just wondering. I never got a single piece of spam till I signed up on OSO. It was less than 4 hours and I was getting a dozen a day...

Frank

gcarter
12-27-2005, 09:12 PM
How would it be distributed? What would be required to access it? How do we keep the information out of the "wrong hands"? Just wondering. I never got a single piece of spam till I signed up on OSO. It was less than 4 hours and I was getting a dozen a day...
Frank
I post my addy on my signature.....I haven't knowingly received any spam from board members.
It could be a page with the pass word distributed via a particular person.

boxy
12-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Frank
Me too Frank, it sure is a pain in the ass, I was pretty sure that was where the spam was coming from........

txtaz
12-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Just so everyone knows...This is a stand alone program that resides on your puter. It does not do anything with the net. Your information is yours and only resides on your computer. There is no spam, no adds and it's free. I would however like people who use it on a regular basis to make a donation to the registry.
I have nothing to gain by making this software available other than giving my Donzi friends a cool and useful program (I hope) and helping the registry.
Da Taz <<-- Beta testers wanted

BUIZILLA
12-28-2005, 07:08 AM
funny you mention that about OSO...

I thought it was just me or something wierd, but man O man, do I get junk now that i'm on OSO all the time.

JH

txtaz
12-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Check out this thread http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43012 to get rid of the garbage some web sites put on your puter.
Also the google toolbar is pretty cool also. It blocks popups and spell checks for you.
Da Taz

harbormaster
12-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Wes. and everyone.

As far as a "Phone book" is concerned, I do not endorse any phonebook as a until I see a design document in greater detail. There is code that I am in the process of adding, that is not totally engraved in stone. I would want to create one database table.

txtaz
12-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Well Scot, I was trying to help you as we have discussed in the past about doing a phone book.
But no biggy, No need to endorse it and you are welcome to use it. I will post a link to it for others to download.
Da Taz <<-- Donations not required