PDA

View Full Version : Telephone text messaging

TuxedoPk
12-23-2005, 03:12 PM
Does anyone have a good background in the area of SMS (short message service) security?

I'm trying to help out in a legal case challenging the authenticity of SMS messages (cell phone text messages). I'm looking for information that shows SMS messages have been spoofed, could be spoofed, etc. Specifically, that a series of messages didn't originate or terminate in a particular pair of telephones.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

txtaz
12-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Rich, All you have to do is prove that cell phone #'s can be highjacked which is pretty easy to do. Once a number and DID is know, a "spoof" phone can be programmed and used as if it were the original. Trust me, It happened to me. Fortunately for me, when they called 911 with prank calls, the sherriff called me asking what's going on. I went to school with him otherwise I would have some explaining to do.
Highjackers get #'s and DID's by "sniffing" around cell towers. A sniffer is a device that intercepts cell signals. In a cell signal the calling number and DID is tranmitted to the tower then land lined to the telco.
If you have a date and time for the SMS message, you can contact the provider and find the tower it originated from. If you get lucky, the person who jacked the phone would have traveled to another cell which is trackable. Just place your guy in a different cell location as the spoofed phone at the time a call or msg was made using that number/DID.
You do know that SMS msg's can be made by computer also right?
If you need more give me a call. 210-681-3557
Da Taz <<-- I don't need no stinkin cell phone, leave a message, I'll call back

TuxedoPk
12-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Wes- I sent you a detailed PM. Yes I know that, but the need for information refuting the authenticity of these messages is REALLY unique.

Rich

txtaz
12-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Rich, With what you explained it is a no brainer. One or two SMS's can be understood to be jacked, but continued over a period of time...Not likely.
Da Taz