PDA

View Full Version : Dolly for 16

Danny
12-23-2005, 09:01 AM
I plan on fabricating a dolly/cradle on casters to make moving the boat around in the shop easier.
Anyone got plans, pictures, measurements, ideas.
I have seen store bought, perchance a website where I might get some ideas.
Would like it to be adjustable so it can handle the 16 as well as an 18 or maybe even the GT.
Possibly two seperate adjustable dollies, one for for the bow and one for the stern.

Thanks Danny

Reedy
12-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Check these out:

http://www.1stdirectproducts.com/boatdollies.html

I think someone makes one with a small electric motor to help push or pull it around easier, but I can't find them now. I bet you could sell quite a few if you made them.

Danny
12-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Reedy
I like those but I was looking for was a cradle on casters that the boat sits on so I can eliminate the trailer. I hate tripping over my tongue(trailer tongue).
Danny

Rootsy
12-23-2005, 04:05 PM
you mean something like this? granted this is an 18 but a 16 isn't a whole lot different....

Danny
12-23-2005, 07:52 PM
The 7 meter from Williams looks interesting.
Rootsy I like the concept and it may come to that.
Thanks Danny

Greg Maier
12-24-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm also thinking of putting my boat on a dolly so that I can get it in my garage. What would be the best way, short of a crane or 20 men to get the boat from the trailer to the dolly? Can the boat be slid from the trailer to the dolly by attaching the transom to an immovable object and simply driving the trailer out from under the boat and positioning the dolly underneath to catch it?

Also, here is another resource for the dollys. My brother is a dealer for these, so if anybody is interested, I can get dealer pricing.
http://yardarm.com/marine_products/mj_boat_dolly_system.htm

rustnrot
12-25-2005, 06:26 PM
I've ordered over a dozen of the Continental dollies for myself and several other wooden boaters around here. The fact they are galvanized is fantastic what with all the hosing down of the shop, leaving them outside, etc. We also welded up a U-Shaped Thing about 3 feet high with legs that fit into where the carpeted bunks go. Allows putting a hull upside down over two dollies. You can kinda see what I mean in this pic. We are flipping the boat off the dollies, each dolly having had that U-Shaped Thing up against the stringers.