PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat-Awlgrip-Imron poll

Blue Bullet
12-20-2005, 08:50 PM
I am refinishing a '67 2+3, should I Gel-Coat (Original) or go
with todays Awlgrip or Imron. Boat is fresh water only, stored
in a tarp covered garage summer and winter. Price is no object.

DAULEY
12-20-2005, 08:54 PM
gel if you want it to last

mattyboy
12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
what colors are we talking???

Morgan's Cloud
12-21-2005, 07:09 AM
There is a certain desireability to having an old boat re-gelled....indeed around here there are certain folks who feel you have ruined your boat if you paint it ! !
I can't afford to have a re-gell and then have to fight buffing it forever again after a year or two.
I have restored a few and have used Awlgrip exclusively . It's not cheap either and some won't work with it as it's so lethal but it lasts forever under the conditions that you describe for your boat.
Steve

gcarter
12-21-2005, 07:13 AM
IMHO, paint dark colors, gel light colors.

MOP
12-21-2005, 07:36 AM
George is right light colors survive the sun dark fade and make for a lot of work.

Phil

kjly63
12-21-2005, 09:31 AM
I used Awlgrip Allcraft 2000 on mine 2 yrs ago. This you can wet sand and buff. I was told the regular Awlgrip does not have the color pigment all the way thru and that you can't buff it. They had recommended clear over Awlgrip but not neccesary over Awlcraft 2000.

2000 is not as tough and scratches easily......but easy to fix. Then again, mine was refinished in gloss black and shows everything.

Good luck and keep your wallet open:party:

Ken

Chili 18
12-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Had mine done in Awlgrip. Red white with red stripe.

It is tuffer than anything you can use above the waterline. Looks so deep and glossy you can "reach into it".

Proper prep and spraying conditions are crucial. Repairs are difficult.

Its a trade off I favor.

Perhaps not for a "vintage collectable". But really.... Few models are all that...

It needs to be done by an experienced "master" to get the full bennefits. Kids, dont try this at home.

Three years out and no maintnance. Looks as good as day 1.

Forrest
12-21-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm sold on Awlgrip. When properyly applied its tough as nails, looks great, never needs buffing, and will not fade.

Also, don't rule out some of the good PPG coatings. They are probably as tough as Awlgrip, and may even produce a deeper richer finish than Awlgrip. Pearson is the man to talk with about PPG products.

gcarter
12-21-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm sold on Awlgrip. When properyly applied its tough as nails, looks great, never needs buffing, and will not fade.
Also, don't rule out some of the good PPG coatings. They are probably as tough as Awlgrip, and may even produce a deeper richer finish than Awlgrip. Pearson is the man to talk with about PPG products.
I've used R-M products on my boat. It will NOT chip. Very tough.
PPG and R-M both are owned by BASF.

smokediver
12-21-2005, 04:10 PM
awl grip never needs buffing ????? i got about 20 Hinckleys down here and i beg to differ !!!!! awl grip looks great , no doubt and is tough as nails but it does need to be taken care of .... If I were painting a boat I would use PPG Concept. So much easier to work with and it is so much easier to buff and repair ... I have to wet sand down to 2500 before i can even begin to compound. awl grip that is ... it chalks down here like everything else . The reds turn pink in about 6 months... and it is factory applied awl-grip. concept on the other hand is a little "softer" instead of chipping like the others it has a little give and I am able to buff out 1500. that is using white 3m waffle foam pads and 3m 5933 perfect-it 3 compound, followed by perfect-it 2 machine glaze for dark colors (if applicable) using a black waffle pad. the super duty compound and wool pads are exclusively for dock boxes:uzi: There is just no way to get a true mirror finish with that stuff ... good for gel cote , not for paint . IMHO gel is the way to go but short of that , concept is probably the newest single stage paint and awl-grip / imron are the oldest around ... kinda like the first computers , wow 512k of memory !!!

Chili 18
12-21-2005, 04:32 PM
awl grip never needs buffing ????? i got about 20 Hinckleys down here and i beg to differ !!!!!

I guess anything left in the salt and sun too long will fade and worse. Just like us...:-)

MOP
12-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Something I have seen a few times was where boats that were badly faded or chalked were prep sanded and clear Alwgriped, the results were exceptionaly good.

Phil

Morgan's Cloud
12-23-2005, 07:04 AM
awl grip never needs buffing ????? i got about 20 Hinckleys down here and i beg to differ !!!!! awl grip looks great , no doubt and is tough as nails but it does need to be taken care of ......
Oh well , I guess nothing lasts forever except .. oh.. you know the rest ... :biggrin.:
I have noticed this as well on one of the Hinkleys that is out here as well .. the other boats don't seem to be as affected ...hmmm ?
Of course the decks take licks wherever you are and will fade and get burnt .. albiet eventually !
I wonder if it has something to do with the shape of the Hinkley hulls ? They have so many surfaces that face the sun .. you know .. those transoms etc.
My hull never faded after 17 years and that was overboard 8 months of the year.
As for clearcoating .. I made that mistake the first time on the hull .. The clear does'nt seem to have any solids and will eventually craze and have to be re-done. I'm not clearcoating this time !
Kjly63 ... Is'nt Awlcraft 2000 the waterbased version ? I seem to remember that it's the new environmentally friendly version , but it's not avbl out here .

LKSD
12-23-2005, 07:54 PM
I am refinishing a '67 2+3, should I Gel-Coat (Original) or go
with todays Awlgrip or Imron. Boat is fresh water only, stored
in a tarp covered garage summer and winter. Price is no object.

Money aside, If you want it original do gel it's easier to wetsand repairs, also its a wisse way to go if the boat stays in the drink for long period of time. Its less likely to blister. On the other hand if originality isn't an issue and you handle stuff with kid gloves & want a little bit more of a glossy permanent "we look" without as much wetsand leway for future "oops scenarios" I would suggest a new hig end paint. The new Donzis use a high end resin with painted graphics. Usually a high end BASF base clear. We have done a lot of both. Whats used usually depends on how & where the boat is used. If you want paint, Im not super keen on Awl or Imron. I would prefer to see PPG or BASF used. If you need the boat done we can do it for you & are only a few hours away. We have done several jobs in the past including Donzis. Feel free to call me during the week if you want to discuss it further.. Thanks & happy Holidays..
Jamie / http://www.LaksideRestorations.com :)

Blue Bullet
01-06-2006, 09:49 PM
My Brother and I have decided to keep her original...Gel-coat...Royal Blue w/White Stripe. Thanks for all the input. Blue Bullet:checkered

kjly63
01-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Kjly63 ... Is'nt Awlcraft 2000 the waterbased version ? I seem to remember that it's the new environmentally friendly version , but it's not avbl out here .

Morgan,

Not envirement friendly at all. It mixes the same as Awlgrip with the same Catalyst hardener. The guy I had paint it said if there were runs or dust that they could be fixed/repaired easily. We had plenty of them:( Not sure if it was the conditions of our make-shift spray booth or his lack of expertise.

All in all..........it turned out great. Very expensive product....not sure if the Imron I had would have been better or not.

good luck.

Ken

Morgan's Cloud
01-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Ken ,
Maybe I'm confusing 'repairability' with 'environmentally friendly'.
Interlux makes a series 900 and 800 'Interspray' systems which they compare to Awlgrip. The 800 is reportedly 'repairable' so I guess that's their version of Awlcraft 2000 maybe.
Expensive is no exageration .... you don't want to make mistakes when it comes to the colour coat. We're having a ball priming the St T right now. Started in early November , but I'm more than likely going to hand it over to a high end finisher (Hah what a joke) to do the colour coat).
Years ago I had my car (when I had one) done in Imron and it was an excellent automotive finish but I don't think its anywhere as tough as Awlgrip.
Certainly not in this environment anyway.
Can't figure out why the Awlcraft 2000 still is'nt avbl out here yet.
Thanks for the info.
Steve

Rootsy
01-10-2006, 09:30 AM
with the PPG Concept you can mix it WITH Clearcoat or you can clear over the base... either way... PPG also makes a catalyst for the Clear that makes it some super duper tough stuff... you literally have to wetsand and buff within 24- 36 hours or you'll be living with the orange peel...

i've been using DCC Concept on engines and drives and some of my better tractor paint jobs as well as a ocuple of vehicles.. it is pretty user friendly, cept the fumes... BUT acrylic urethanes such as DCC have a tendancy, like clearcoat, to orange peel, therfore if you want ti glass smooth you have to wetsand and buff it... which equals a LOT of work... or wetsand and over reduce and apply a "flow coat"

but it is fairly easy to repair if you need to...

and it isn't exactly cheap... especially red at 300+ / gallon + catalyst, just for the solid / base coat... plan to spend 2500 - 2800 on sealer, primer, color and clear as well as sandpaper and such by the time it is all said and done... to do an 18ish foot boat... if you have to pay retail prices...

vrod02
01-10-2006, 09:36 AM
I was told that the PPG Fleet was the same as emron just a little cheaper. Dupont owns PPG right?