PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in a Donzi Cookbook?

txtaz
12-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Since it's winter I thought it might be fun to compile a list of the board members favorite recipes. I'll start.

Da Taz's stroganoff
(2) Fillet mignon - no bacon, sliced 1/4"
(1) Onion - diced
(2) cans cream of mushroom
(1) pint soure cream
(1) bad extra wide egg noodles

In a 4qt pot saute the fillet mignon and diced onions until the meat is brown on all sides. Add as much onion as you like with salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce. You can add red or white wine for a little extra flavor.
If you want extra mushrooms, get the bulk and slice them thin. Saute them with the meat and onions.
Once the meat is brown, put it both cans of cream and mushrooms. Stir until it is hot. Add water to get the consistency you like, cover and cook on low for an hour stirring occasionally. The sauce needs to slow boil for 30 mins to ensure the meat is cooked. The longer you cook meats in a sauce, the more tender it will be.
When you are ready to eat:
Prepare the noodles - Use olive oil, no salt (healthy)
Put the sour cream in the sauce, stir and cover.

Obviously, strain the noodles and put the sauce over it.:yes:

Now pour a glass off wine for your honey, make a fire and turn on Sirrus Jazz.
There your set.
Da Chef Taz

Richard Rees
12-20-2005, 06:03 PM
WES, YOU have lost it!!!

Schnook
12-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Here's my entry:
SCHNOOK'S WORLD FAMOUS BABY-BACK RIBS

1. Take the wife to Chili's
2. Order El Presidente Margarita's and Chip and Queso
3. Order Full Rack of Baby Backs (wife gets mushroom swiss)
4. Repeat El Presidente as necessary
5. The End

mattyboy
12-20-2005, 10:14 PM
there's an old saying
I taught him everything he knows, not everything I know ;)
a good recipe is never given out in exact measurements a lil of this a touch of that a tad here a pinch there

:pretzel: :wink:

txtaz
12-21-2005, 06:50 AM
WES, YOU have lost it!!!
Richard, Everyone I work with is out for Christams/New years and Jenn works till Thursday. I don't have anything to do. I've already cleaned the garage, re-organized my closet and cleaned out the third bedroom.
Now hush up and get to work on that bathroom. I'm sure Laurie would like to take a shower. Besides you're coming up on a year buddy.
Da Taz

gcarter
12-21-2005, 07:09 AM
I don't have anything to do. I've already cleaned the garage, re-organized my closet and cleaned out the third bedroom.
Da Taz
LOL......Hey Wes, get a job!!!:biggrin: :biggrin:

Donzigo
12-21-2005, 07:50 AM
................has it come to this? ............I can see it now the next gathering of Donzi fanatics...........recipe exchanges and perhaps a "bake-sale"................no a cookie exchange.........OMG, don't anybody tell the other boating websites about this.........

mattyboy
12-21-2005, 08:00 AM
hey wait a minute
someone might need a good quiche recipe to take to a baby shower in their miata without a windshield, a recipe that calls for the eggs to be beaten to a light FOAMY consistancy but you must use real oil no synthetic cooking spray

:eek: :rlol: :p

Rootsy
12-21-2005, 08:50 AM
The most expensive chili you'll ever eat...

Root's Venison Chili

makes about 6 bowls

2 lb Venison Burger (trimmed extremely well before grinding)
1/4 lb Sirloin Burger
2 Large Cans Blood Red Kidney Beans
2 Jalapenos, sliced (do not core)
2 Packaged of Fresh Mushrooms
1 Large Vadalia Onion
2 Large Cans of Tomato Sauce
pinch or so of Salt
Freshly Ground Course Pepper
1/4 cup or so of Sugar
Cumin
Red Pepper Flakes
Pinch of Oregano
Cayenne Pepper, ground
2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced

Fry Venison burger and Silroin together in large skillet to brown. Season with salt and Pepper and add one minced garlic clove. Do not overcook. The Sirloin is required in order to provide a bit of grease for the burger to cook in since Venison is EXTREMELY lean, drain liquid from pan after browning.

Place meat in a large sauce Pot or Crock pot. Add the Tomato Sauce and Kidney beans.. stir Together

Slice Onion to your liking and Slice shrooms also.. add to pot and stir

Slice into rings, the jalapenos and add along with the rest of the minced garlic

add 1/8th cup of sugar and stir in well, add the red pepper and cayenne a bit at a time.. I generally start off with half a tablespoon or so add a generous amount of Cumin about 1 table spoon worth to start. add a pinch of oregano.

Bring to a light boil for 2 hours watching to make sure that you don't boil off too much liquid. Stir Occasionally from bottom of pot to top.

After 2 hours reduce to a simmer and cover. Stir Occasionally for 2 more hours and add water as required to just make soupy Add the rest of the sugar in small increments, stirring well until the taste suits you. Season during this time to your liking (taste often) with the pepper and cumin. Cook overnight at a simmer covered for about 6 - 7 hours.

before the overnight cookdown session the spices will not be totally infused and will bite your throat more than your mouth... kinda hard to judge but if it burns your throat BADLY it'll be warm to hot in your mouth the next day :)

serve hot with your choice of grated cheese and crackers... and a good beer.

txtaz
12-21-2005, 09:29 AM
At least someone is taking this seriously. Thank you Rootsy. Your chili recipe is very close to mine. We have about 10lbs of Axis deer that I'm planning on making some chili out of.
I figure since our ranch community has a cookbook why can't the Donzi community. Besides we all have to eat.
HEY George, Just wait till summer.....Besides, I'm sure I will be getting calls in the next few weeks..."WES!!!!, I can't this or that". HEHEHE
Da Taz

mattyboy
12-21-2005, 10:19 AM
well if ya want to be serious about it the book should only consist of recipes that have been served at a donzi event and need to be endorsed by the people attending the event ;)

Rootsy
12-21-2005, 10:21 AM
in that case we need toona and her 3 bean salad... :yes:

mattyboy
12-21-2005, 10:23 AM
speaking of beans why no beans in your chili ???

never mind my pc is freaking out

yeah I'll give you guys my chili and rib recipe, or my clam chowda or lobster bisque

WMFOOMA

txtaz
12-21-2005, 10:25 AM
Now Matty, when have you ever know me to be too serious?:wavey:
I'd like to have Farmers brisket recipe (yes served at an event).
Da Taz

pmreed
12-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Matty, the Texans will have an answer to the bean thing, but here's the truth...IT'S AGAINST THE LAW!! :wink: See rule 1 of the ICS.
1. Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats,cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden.
See http://www.chilicookoff.com/Event/Event_Rules.asp for the rest of the rules.

Actually, I use beans myself:D

Phil

Schnook
12-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Since I put the smart-ass answer earlier, here's the recipe for Schnook's World Famous Cajun Shrimp Pasta:

1/2 red onion chopped fine 1 shallot chopped fine
1 clove garlic chopped fine 1tsp paprika
1tsp cayenne pepper (plus extra to taste) 1tsp salt (plus extra to taste)
1/2tsp oregano 1/2tsp thyme
8 shakes worcestershire 2tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup white wine 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
1.5 lb fresh shrimp (I use 41-60's) Your choice of pasta (I use Angel Hair)
In a skillet heat the oil add shallots and onion, cook until transluscent 2-3 min
Add garlic, paprika, cayenne, salt, oregano,and thyme cook for 1 min
add wine and boil down to 1/4,stirring constantly. add worcestershire and shrimp and cook till shrimp are clear to pinkish. (not long 1-2 min)
add lemon juice and cream and bring to a boil, stirring. Season with cayenne, salt and black pepper to taste (some like it hot, some don't)
If you want the sauce thicker, dissolve 1tsp corn starch or 2tsp flour in a little cold water and add to pan, bring back to a boil while stirring constantly.
Remember to cook the pasta before you ladle sauce over it. Bon Apetit!

farmer tx
12-21-2005, 06:50 PM
pmreed is correct, but I use beans anyway. I try to get them in there before PJ notices, then she has to pick them out:chilipepp

farmer tx
12-21-2005, 06:58 PM
1 1/4 cup Canola Oil
2 Tbl Garlic Powder
2 Tbl Crushed Red Pepper (or more to taste) - I add Texas Gunpowder :chilipepp
1 Pkg Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing - (not the dip)

4 Sleeves Premium Crackers

Stand crackers up in Tupperware container that seals tight, Pour mixture over crackers. Let settle about 5 minutes, flip container, let settle another 5 minutes. Keep flipping until soaked, about 35 minutes

DonziJon
12-21-2005, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=Rootsy]The most expensive chili you'll ever eat...
Root's Venison Chili
makes about 6 bowls
2 lb Venison Burger (trimmed extremely well before grinding)
1/4 lb Sirloin Burger
2 Large Cans Blood Red Kidney Beans
2 Jalapenos, sliced (do not core)
2 Packaged of Fresh Mushrooms
1 Large Vadalia Onion
2 Large Cans of Tomato Sauce
pinch or so of Salt
Freshly Ground Course Pepper
1/4 cup or so of Sugar
Cumin
Red Pepper Flakes
Pinch of Oregano
Cayenne Pepper, ground
2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
Fry Venison burger and Silroin together in large skillet to brown. Season with salt and Pepper and add one minced garlic clove. Do not overcook. The Sirloin is required in order to provide a bit of grease for the burger to cook in since Venison is EXTREMELY lean, drain liquid from pan after browning.
Place meat in a large sauce Pot or Crock pot. Add the Tomato Sauce and Kidney beans.. stir Together
Slice Onion to your liking and Slice shrooms also.. add to pot and stir
Slice into rings, the jalapenos and add along with the rest of the minced garlic
add 1/8th cup of sugar and stir in well, add the red pepper and cayenne a bit at a time.. I generally start off with half a tablespoon or so add a generous amount of Cumin about 1 table spoon worth to start. add a pinch of oregano.
Bring to a light boil for 2 hours watching to make sure that you don't boil off too much liquid. Stir Occasionally from bottom of pot to top.
After 2 hours reduce to a simmer and cover. Stir Occasionally for 2 more hours and add water as required to just make soupy Add the rest of the sugar in small increments, stirring well until the taste suits you. Season during this time to your liking (taste often) with the pepper and cumin. Cook overnight at a simmer covered for about 6 - 7 hours.
before the overnight cookdown session the spices will not be totally infused and will bite your throat more than your mouth... kinda hard to judge but if it burns your throat BADLY it'll be warm to hot in your mouth the next day :)
serve hot with your choice of grated cheese and crackers... and a good beer.[/QUOT

TWO Tablespoons of CUMIN?????? DJ

gcarter
12-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Well, I have to side w/ the no bean folks. Not because I don't like them, but for a number of years I get gout because the beans are so high in purines.
What a shame!!!!
Ditto for shellfish........
But doing w/o beans and shellfish beats not being able to walk!!:bonk: :cussball:

txtaz
12-21-2005, 10:02 PM
George....TMI....
BTW, We had a very nice dinner of crab cakes and salmon cakes (fresh from Alaska...It's nice having a retired Dad who loves to travel and fish). Sorry, but I have to say it beat Russian King crab.
AND I always do beans in my chilli. It's the Northern influence I grew up with and I hide them as well Mark.
Da Taz <<--- Keep them coming

Rootsy
12-22-2005, 06:15 AM
now now children... beans add something to chew on, gotta have em where i'm from eh... and though i said 1 TSp of Cumin i generally end up with significantly more... in the neighborhood of 3+ for a large pot... as i said... spice to suit your taste... happy eating :)
my venison jerky is just way too simple to even waste time posting about :yes:

roadtrip se
12-22-2005, 08:53 AM
This one has been requested by two different Donzi-philes that we are going to see over the holidays and OF COURSE, it is done on the barbeque where all great food comes from!

Ingredients: 1/2 pound of 10-20 count shrimp per person, fresh jalapeno peppers, chunk of monterrey jack cheese, bacon, toothpicks

Preheat your grill to medium heat, not too hot
Microwave your bacon until partially done, but still soft
Slice peppers into slivers
Slice slot in back of shrimp
Place pepper slice on back of shrimp and wrap with bacon
Hold together with toothpick
Grill gently, don't overcook, or your shrimp will get tough
Melt chunks of monterrey jack cheese on shrimp on grill or in oven under low heat to finish

This one rocks!

txtaz
12-22-2005, 09:04 AM
Nice. I bet I can get fresh shrimp from the gulf coast for the Powell trip. Do we have a grill coming? Thriller...Mark? Are there grills there?
Da Taz

mattyboy
12-22-2005, 09:56 AM
now a cocktail drink recipe book would be killer
a bloody car bomb
sandy sex on the beach

now your talking
food is way over rated :spit:

CHACHI
12-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Well, I have to side w/ the no bean folks. Not because I don't like them, but for a number of years I get gout because the beans are so high in purines.
What a shame!!!!
Ditto for shellfish........
But doing w/o beans and shellfish beats not being able to walk!!:bonk: :cussball:George, my gout doc says eat what you want ...just stay away from alcohol, who do you belive. I guess thats why they call doctorin' a practice. Ken

smokediver
12-22-2005, 01:54 PM
a different way to finish chili .... place chili in a casserole dish , mix up some cornbread mix and place it on top of the chili , spread it evenly over the top .. some of it will sink a little but it's ok ... bake per cornbread instuctions but five minutes prior to coming out , put 2 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese on the top ... corn bread chili , firehouse favorite:biggrin.:

Schnook
12-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Roadtrip, Your shrimp camarones recipe sounds great. I had something similar to it years ago, we had a christmas lunch at work and one person brought a similar appetizer- except it was supposed to be chilled. It got put in the oven for a couple of minutes before we realized our mistake, but sometimes mistakes are a good thing! I think I'll pirate your recipe for a party we're going to and take all the credit!

gcarter
12-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Isn't that redundant?:bonk: ;) :biggrin.:

Schnook
12-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Maybe it means the camarones are small

roadtrip se
12-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Isn't that redundant?:bonk: ;) :biggrin.:

It's actually Camarones Diablo, but unfortunately most folks haven't had the blessing to spend a chunk of their lives in Texas like us George!