PDA

View Full Version : Top cap and tie bar bracket on a VOLVO ???

Lenny
12-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Does anyone have time and brains to G-code a Billet top cap for the Volvos, c/w dip stick etc and four holes to replace the top of the VOLVO drive with something that you could add hydraulic steering to AND be safe? In talking to my VOLVO mechanic, he stated that it only has the O-ring and keeps the bearing and shim(s) in place and is relatively thick BUT, cast Aluminum and not that strong. Yes, it could be welded onto if perfectly clean, but is there a better alternative WITHOUT hanging something Black out back?

BRIAN73
12-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Lenny,

This setup is crude, but has worked just fine for me.

Brian

GEOO
12-19-2005, 03:44 PM
I had a Latham system on mine. You could make one of these.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8362&d=1103059705

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8361&d=1103059705

Lenny
12-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Brian73, thanks for the pic.
Geoo, that Latham Version looks like it will work for me. Just curious, that looks like a 290 transom shield. Did you add tilt and trim to the boat at some point? E-lower sure would be nice.

I want it to be SECURE, as I don't want to think of what would happen if the top cap and/or bolt scenario was to give way.

Did you have to re-drill the Latham part or did it come as a blank? Can I get away with a single ram? as I have incredibly "tiny" horsepower but incredibly horrible torque steerat the wheel.?

MOP
12-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Lenny I have seen a couple of setups like the ones above, me I would like 4 bolts. But look at it this way we do not hesitate to pull an engine using just 2 bolts, 3 is plenty stong enough. Wonder if Latham still has the plate and attaching kit, the rest is off the shelf stuff. The plate & spacers could be easily made.

Phil

GEOO
12-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Lenny, It is a 290 drive which I attached an E-Drive to, so yes it has trim. I purchased the whole kit from Lathem. They don't take chances or cut corners. They send every thing to their engineering department and design for the proper stresses. The added steering cap part came pre drilled.

boldts
12-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Lenny,

You might talk to Bob Dean. He has twin Volvos on his Magnum tied together with hydraulic steering.

Bob & Marlene Dean - bigbroadjumper@aol.com
10545 Chicory Ridge Way
Roscoe, IL 61073
(815) 623-5888 Cell: (815) 342-2714
1974 28' Maltese Magnum - Twin SB Chevy 350s with Volvo 290s

MOP
12-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Lenny also give Jamie from Lakeside a call he seems to come through on a lot of the scarce stuff.

Phil

Danny
12-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Lenny aka Bubbles
I had a plate very similar to Brian's made up.
I am using a cylinder very similar to this http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/OUTBOARD/oboard.htm

Danny

maddad
12-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Lenny,I know this won't have the same WOW look at that effect as external,but if you just want to get rid of the hard to impossible steering,put the cylinder inside.I used an unbalanced hynautic with a 9" stroke and got one hand steering at any speed for cheap.Use the greater volume side to push against the torque.

Danny
12-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Lenny
use this link http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/OUTBOARD/oboard.htm
and then click on splashwell mount systems.

Danny

Lenny
12-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanx fellas. I just talked to Ted at Latham and he is going to go look around in the Engineering Depatment as see what he can come up with as well.

I would really like Deneen to be able to drive the boat (AKA "be strong enough to hold the wheel) and not have us both end up in the water :(

I have to get this fixed before spring/summer as it is going to be goin a bit faster by then and WITH this drive for now.

EricG
12-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Lenny,

I know you looked at my setup last year...I agree that it doesn't have the same "bling" factor as external - but I can drive for miles with my hands off the wheel (I actually GPS'd myself over 2 miles at Chelan). The steering is probably my favorite feature on my boat. Just something to think about. I know there are some old Posts where Al Vickers talked about how he set it up...

-EG

Lenny
12-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Brian, Danny,...MOP... WHAT feeds the hydraulic pressure to the ram? A helm mounted, bled "pump" or power steering on the motor or what...

Lack of intelligence really starting to show as well as the "Cuckoos Nest scar... "

GEOO
12-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Lenny,
My Latham set-up was a Capilano helm it was about 4-5 turns lock to lock and it was not powered. Or you can use a Charlyn helm and run a power steering pump off your engine. This set up you can have any ratio you want. You just match the cc's of the helm to the cc's of the rams to set the lock to lock turns. ie 50cc ram with a 25 cc helm would be a 2 turn lock to lock. or some thing like that.

Lenny
12-20-2005, 08:06 PM
WOW !!! :D I just learnt me sumpin. Thanks Geoo. And they said it couldn't be done. ;)

Thanx again

Danny
12-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Lenny
The Teleflex site http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/ under overview helped me to a better understanding of hydraulic steering.
Go to helms under select a category and this gives you an idea of pump options.
I bought my cylinder, helm and hoses last winter on ebay, had a local shop that does a lot of marine stuff make up my thru hull fittings and short external hoses.
I have my 280t transom plate in, the hydraulic trim pump mounted and my motor back in the 16, have all the major compenents to complete it. Got sided tracked buildng a new shop/garage and now I now have to focus on a new gas tank in the GT so it will be a while before I get to assemble my steering and let you know how it works.

Danny

joem
12-21-2005, 07:15 PM
I had a Latham system on mine. You could make one of these.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8362&d=1103059705
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8361&d=1103059705
Hey Geoo what model outdrive and what is that prop setup i have a 250 volvo on my 69....16 looking to put on a ss prop if possible thanks joem

Rob
12-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Lenny-If you have a lot of helm pressure and still have the original Volvo aluminum prop, the problem is your prop. The blades are really big and generate a lot of torque, plus the original combo exhaust port/trim tab is not very effective at balancing the steering. Find an Ultra and replace the exhaust port with a fin trim tab and the problem will go away.

Lenny
12-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Lenny-If you have a lot of helm pressure and still have the original Volvo aluminum prop, the problem is your prop. The blades are really big and generate a lot of torque, plus the original combo exhaust port/trim tab is not very effective at balancing the steering. Find an Ultra and replace the exhaust port with a fin trim tab and the problem will go away.

Rob, I have more props than socks. :D I have Ultras as well. I have that "silly design" on the port manifold for anchoring the steering you describe. It is useless. BUT, I don't have the one BIG bolt head hanging out on the transom :) That would probably be a far better set-up but still lacking in soo many ways. Thanx for the help. That leg on Geoos boat is a 290, he changed it out and got trim and tilt, and that is an ultra rare Volvo Speedmaster (E lower) underneath it hanging onto that prop.

Danny
12-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Geoo
What prop was on your edrive?
I was told that the prop mine came with mine
was a merc racing prop. No markings other than size 12x26.
Did edrives come with different prop shafts?
Danny

GEOO
12-22-2005, 03:00 PM
That prop was off a friends 20 cigarette with an E:drive (Volvo Speed Master)I think it was an old record prop. My Volvo 290 / E:drive took Merc. OB props. I think some did have different prop shafts.

BRIAN73
12-23-2005, 07:32 AM
Danny,

My E came with this tiny little prop that looked like it belonged on inboard hydro. It ran way to many r's and did not bit very well. I was never able to determine what the make was.

Merc chopper, bullet, mazco re3 are the (3) best wheels to run on your rig.

I have 24's 26's

Brian

PS, the pic is my original prop