PDA

View Full Version : Black Hawk Steering

gero1
12-19-2005, 11:38 AM
been talking to the guys at marine machine in miami about duel ram ex. steering for black hawk drives, they have the wing plate in stock. they say to measure from the center of the drive to where the plate for the ram mounts i need 19 9/16 plus 1 1/4 for the plate. from the center of the drive to the edge of the trim tab i show around 13 in. are the tabs on a black hawk l.e located in a different spot than a normal 22?? do i really need the tabs as they look kinda heavy, less weight means i could go faster!!! could some one please send me the mesurements off your boat, maybe i am looking at it wrong??

boldts
12-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Look up Bad - Tat here on the boards. Bill Bateman put a full hydraulic steering system on his BlackHawk 22. I believe the install is documented here also. I also believe because of the tabs, a shorter ram is used to accomedate clearences.

M&M jr.
12-20-2005, 03:03 PM
been talking to the guys at marine machine in miami about duel ram ex. steering for black hawk drives, they have the wing plate in stock. they say to measure from the center of the drive to where the plate for the ram mounts i need 19 9/16 plus 1 1/4 for the plate. from the center of the drive to the edge of the trim tab i show around 13 in. are the tabs on a black hawk l.e located in a different spot than a normal 22?? do i really need the tabs as they look kinda heavy, less weight means i could go faster!!! could some one please send me the mesurements off your boat, maybe i am looking at it wrong??
Gero1...you for got to leave me your #

Call me in the morning..(afeter 10 am)I got it all mocked up and I can do it from stock off the shelf stuff. I'll bring in my camera and send you some pictures.
Talk to ya....

Bad-Tat
12-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Robert,
Just sent you an E-mail on this. You can't drive that thing without the tabs!!!

gero1
12-21-2005, 03:35 AM
tat got your pics, i owe you 1 or 2. after 2.5 years of searching and phone calls only to hear this "a black hawk drive, no no no" click. i am not warming up the drill yet but hopefully i am getting alittle closer. mop you have mail. i still think those tab thingys look pretty darn heavey

roadtrip se
12-21-2005, 08:14 AM
tat got your pics, i owe you 1 or 2. after 2.5 years of searching and phone calls only to hear this "a black hawk drive, no no no" click. i am not warming up the drill yet but hopefully i am getting alittle closer. mop you have mail. i still think those tab thingys look pretty darn heavey

Somebody get this man some rams!

roadtrip se
12-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Mock ups from MM...

roadtrip se
12-21-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm on the record stating that if Bateman can get the rams inside the tabs, so can Gerometta...

Bad-Tat
12-21-2005, 04:44 PM
For inside just need 5" rams and a wider wing plate to allow for the swing with the inboard end of the rams being so close to the gimbal. Once you have the wing plate figured out any set up for Cats should do it. That's what Mayfair for their space saver steering.

MOP
12-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Todd mounting the rams outboard may or may not be a visually pleasing but will reduce the overall pressure in the system needed to move the drive due to the lesser angle. I worked in the hydraulics shop in the service steep angle rams required more frequent servicing then long throw low angled ones, a steep angled ram has to work much harder to do its job.

Phil

gero1
12-22-2005, 01:31 PM
the time and effort, hours of computer research(i hate computers) the trouble with hillsinger in ohio, i am getting closer to getting this done. a couple of phone calls to pedro at m.m and with in a few days i had pics of a mock up!!! i have to give marine machine 5 gold stars. where are all the other black hawk people??? i guess ya'll have never heard road trip tell the no ram, 1 ram, 2 ram story, it's scary camp fire stuff!!!

blackhawk
12-22-2005, 07:56 PM
I bought a complete system from WPM and it worked great!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5533&d=1092966588

thriller
12-22-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm waiting in the wings to see if this works out..If so? Great.....Hey Alan Hilsinger is a straight up guy, Not so sure you should be bashing him..Explain or PM me if you so choose...My experiences with Alan have been nothing short of down right awesome!

gero1
12-23-2005, 04:08 AM
thiller you have mail. didnt think i was bashing but facts are facts!!!

roadtrip se
01-14-2006, 11:35 AM
OK, curious minds (yes, both of mine) want to know: Where ya at on this project??

Yeh, what he said!

gero1
01-14-2006, 03:48 PM
marine machine is currently building a mock up foe me , 8" rams in between the k-planes!!! lots of geometry in this set up. should have some pics to post next week or so. I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

M&M jr.
01-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Gero1
I went ahead and made a quick mock-up to make sure I'd be happy with the results...no problems on my end. I'm burning a new plate this week and will tack it together so that I can take pictures to post up for all to see. Like I told you on the phone....not a big deal really....should be done by Friday.

gero1
01-18-2006, 12:35 PM
sounds like there could be a hole drilling party at my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!

farmer tx
01-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Pedro, Thanks for your very quick email response to the questions I had on the steering systems. It's customer service like this that keep people coming back.

Mark

thriller
01-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Sounds like progress to me. Kudos to M&M:biggrin:

M&M jr.
01-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Gero1......
Here ya go, 8" stroke big shaft on extended wing to fit your application. 13" from centerline of drive to outside of cylinder pad. This layout has the cyl. mounted on top of the wing for more clearence because we have more turning radius ie..stroke. Hope this helps....
Talk to you soon(better get that hammer ready to break open the piggy bank)

gero1
01-27-2006, 11:26 AM
:smile: :jestera: :smile: after 2 1/2 years and the jokes, short drive, little gimbals e.c.t... look at the girth of those rams baby!!!! hey has anyone seen my piggy bank?????

gero1
01-27-2006, 11:27 AM
:smile: :jestera: :smile: after 2 1/2 years and the jokes, short drive, little gimbals e.c.t... look at the girth of those rams baby!!!! hey has anyone seen my piggy bank?????

gero1
02-04-2006, 03:32 AM
saw this done by someone else on here and thought it was cool, BUMP!!