PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Vonage or other Broadband phones?

txtaz
12-19-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm curious to see what others think about broadband phone service. Also, what other fees are tacked on to the bill. My $15 service is $25 with all the fees, taxes and extra charges for just a basic phone.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Da Taz <<<--- Can you hear me now?

txtaz
12-19-2005, 10:09 AM
If anyone wants to test their connection and lines try:
www.testyourvoip.com
I rated 4.4
Da Taz

txtaz
12-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Ohhhh George, How to wire your whole office or home for Vonage
http://www.vonage.com/help_knowledgeBase_article.php?category=45&article=649
Da Taz

Tidbart
12-19-2005, 11:40 AM
My ATT Callvantage line is 29.99 + 3.71 taxes. That is for unlimited calling in US, Canada, and maybe Mexico(not sure).

My local service is almost as much through the local bell, just LOCAL.

Bob

Trueser
12-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Vonage 24.99 a month works great.

txtaz
12-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Mike, Any other fees taxes etc to bump the bill up?
Da Taz

mattyboy
12-19-2005, 01:32 PM
I have used optimumvoice for 8 months now
I paid an extra one time fee to keep my number
you need to have optimum online which is 49$ a month then for 34.95 a month you get unlimited calling to the us canada and PR. plus all the other features of VOIP voice mail call fwd caller id all of which get taxed or surcharged on a normal POTS line
I have had a few latency problems but too few too mention and if you are prone to long black outs in your area you'll need to get the broad band router modem on a UPS

I really like it and i am saving 50 bucks a month over my down and dirty cheapo verizon calling package

roadtrip se
12-19-2005, 02:52 PM
runs about $22 per month for unlimited LD, local service, and 911.

I get some complaints once in awhile about sound quality, but it's usually from someone on the other side on the Nextel cell network, so I'll keep blaming them!

Love it...

Trueser
12-19-2005, 04:28 PM
None, the only down side is they pull it from Credit card only.

They kept my same number for free. I guess that depends on your carrier.

Mike

gcarter
12-19-2005, 07:24 PM
This subject is timely....
We just wired our new office this weekend for Cat 5, phone and cable. Vonage isn't available in our area so we sill probably be using Packet8 for $19.99/month. I think we'll keep our three incoming lines w/Sprint, partly because of lack of experience, but mainly I don't know of a way to have rollover on those lines with VOIP.
Anyone have any ideas?

synack
12-19-2005, 07:29 PM
I had them for several months and will never go back to them due to a "customer service issue".

Anyway, the downsides to it are:

Service goes out when power goes out
No modem support
Fax support is extra
Can be choppy if someone else is using the net
They have/had a $40 fee for closing the acct
911 is up for grabs

Pros:
Can get any number
Easy number portability
Cheaper than telcos

YoAnthony
12-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Using Verizon for local and ATT for long distance. Our bill is $150 a month and we do not call outside of the continental USA. If Vonage works it would save us enough money to run the Donzi at full throttle all summer!!!!!!!!!

Trueser
12-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Anthony,

Whats your email?

LKSD
12-19-2005, 10:58 PM
vonage works well, we have been using it for about a year for outgoing calls only with our business. The rate is cheap. The only problem we occasionally encounter is once in awhile it times out & you cant use if for 5 minutes or so. It also once in a blue moon if you are on for over a 1/2 hr or more it will drop the call, although it could just be the battery in the phone we are using with it too I guess.. Hope my 2 cents helps.. Jamie :)

txtaz
12-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I think we are going to give it a try and wire it fir whole house. Should be a piece of cake.
Geaorge, The telco hadles rollover for lines so you will need to call the telco and let them know the primary number, secondary etc.
Da Taz <<-- I'm getting the first month free.