PDA

View Full Version : 2003 496 ho flush??

Krazy1
12-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Looking to buy the 03 22c 496ho 425hp from the guy in mia. Since this boat has a closed water cooling system on it does it need to be flushed? How is the p/s cooled, exhaust cooled, should I be concerned if it was never flushed?:wrench: :wrench: :wrench: :wrench: :confused:

Thanks guys

MOP
12-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Does it have the original iron manifolds? And check the heat exchanger for electrolisis. That is about the only things that can be going bad, the PS cooler should be fine. Look at the heat exchanger if you can pull the cap off the side where the sea water enters, look at the surface of the metal inside the main tube. It should look very smooth, if it looks grainy sort of a sand blasted in appearance it is showing signs of the zinc not being kept up.

Phil

Dave_N
12-17-2005, 07:31 PM
The 496HO has aluminum manifolds that are raw water cooled. Not the best setup for salt water and has to flushed after each use. Also check the hose fitting on the bottom of the manifold for corrosion.

Dave

Krazy1
12-17-2005, 09:21 PM
K,
Ive seen the boat in the water, its a good looking ride. If you need a set of close up eyes, let me know..

Do you know this gentelman?
Do you know if he flushed it every time?
He had it at a in and out service and I dont know if they do this service everytime or not.

Thanks for your time and yes, if all goes right with my boat on ebay, I will be buying this boat. It would be great if you could check out the salt damage for me. I f I buy, I think I might just have it shipped up.

Thanks, Rich

Krazy1
12-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Does it have the original iron manifolds? And check the heat exchanger for electrolisis. That is about the only things that can be going bad, the PS cooler should be fine. Look at the heat exchanger if you can pull the cap off the side where the sea water enters, look at the surface of the metal inside the main tube. It should look very smooth, if it looks grainy sort of a sand blasted in appearance it is showing signs of the zinc not being kept up.
Phil

I dont know if it has aloy or steel manifolds.
Zink not bieng kept up ?, do you need to flush this thing with a solvent or something?

Thanks for all your help guys. You think if no flushing was done that bieng it is only 2 years old something could be eaten up already?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-18-2005, 07:38 AM
That picture looks rough! I have 2003 496HO's.

Yes, I recommend flushing after every use wit an additive like Salt Away.

I will say if that fitting looks that way, the inside of the exhaust loop probably looks pretty rough too...

Bryan

MOP
12-18-2005, 10:48 AM
The look of the fittings is a bummer, they show of weeping and the corrosion will continue to creep along under the coating. It looks as if they do little to protect the thread area, after cutting threads in aluminum they need to be coated well with sealer it is obvious Merc does not do it. For 496 owners that should be a fix it now!

Phil

donzi182003
12-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Krazy,
Mario is one of my best friends. I have driven the boat many times and have been in it for 85 % of its time on the water. I just detailed it thoroughly recently. He has flushed it religiously despite the fact that it is water cooled. If you want more info on it and have detailed questions I would be happy to answer them for you. My number is 305-796-0651. I personally know this boat up and down. Marios boat DOES NOT have that corrosion in that location. It has always been sprayed with corrosion block after each use.

Ed

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-18-2005, 01:42 PM
I do not believe the threaded fitting is the culprit, just above with the clamp is.
Plus any leak to bilge that is salt water, i.e. splashes on everything.

I have some bilge grime from all the projects this winter (spotless soon), but if that was my boat I would have a serious look at the outer loop. The cooling module might be in jeporday of clogging. Per the book, at winter it needs to be unhooked, inspected and drained.

Bryan

Krazy1
12-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Krazy,
Mario is one of my best friends. I have driven the boat many times and have been in it for 85 % of its time on the water. I just detailed it thoroughly recently. He has flushed it religiously despite the fact that it is water cooled. If you want more info on it and have detailed questions I would be happy to answer them for you. My number is 305-796-0651. I personally know this boat up and down. Marios boat DOES NOT have that corrosion in that location. It has always been sprayed with corrosion block after each use.
Ed

whats up ED,
So did he spray it or flush it. You wording is kind of sketchy. Spraying it seams to just keep the look of the engine like new. Is this a service the marina did for him after every use or is there some kind of hose to do it on the wash rack. Also, someone mentioned some sort of solvent flush that is recommended. Was this used?? Just real sketchy buying a salt boat.

Thanks for all info guys:cards: :cards: :cards: :cards: :beer:

Krazy1
12-18-2005, 05:17 PM
The look of the fittings is a bummer, they show of weeping and the corrosion will continue to creep along under the coating. It looks as if they do little to protect the thread area, after cutting threads in aluminum they need to be coated well with sealer it is obvious Merc does not do it. For 496 owners that should be a fix it now!
Phil

No joke man, thats horrible!

BUIZILLA
12-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Is this the white boat or the yellow boat?

JH

Krazy1
12-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Is this the white boat or the yellow boat?
JH

The white 04 split stripes on decks.

donzi182003
12-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Krazy,
He would put it on a rack after use. Hook up a hose to the outdrive with the nose cone stopper on the back of the drive (because bravo one x has low water pickup) and run fresh water through it for 15-20 minutes. Thats about as unsketchy as I can get . It has been out of marina for a while now as Im sure he told you. But the conditions of the boat speak for themselves.

Johntrip
12-19-2005, 08:58 AM
I have the same motors and run them in salt water.....flushed everytime with soap and water (use a fertilizer kit on the hose). I've seen what fresh water can do to these manifolds when not flushed so it's not an option....