PDA

View Full Version : Some advice and questions on Selling 1993 18' Classic w/ Trailer

danielv
12-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Okay, for starters, I'm a newbie and am unsure if I've posted this in the proper section. I definitely didn't want to place it in the classifieds section and get flamed for being a "feeler ad" without a price. I'm just seeking infomation at this point due to my limited knowledge on these boats.

My neighbor has been storing his 18' Classic Donzi in my shop for a number of months, since moving out of the state. He just called me and asked me to sell it for him and I have no knowledge of these boats.

I believe he is the original owner and it is white with a tiel blue stripe. We are located in the Seattle Area and lived next door to him on a fresh water lake that is ony available for recreational use 4 months of the year. I doubt the boat has accumulated more than 10 hours per year he's owned it. The boat is all original and in perfect shape--he spent over $3K having everything serviced, including going through the drive unit, and winterizing just before dropping it off at my house.

I'm trying get a feel for the best venue to sell this boat, ebay, boat trader, the classifieds on this forum, etc. I am wondering if our local market would be strong for this type of boat. I'm also wondering whether these boats came with hour meters. I pulled the covers off and looked at the dash and was surprised that it appears no hour meter exists.

The boat has the 350? engine I believe and runs perfectly. I went for a ride in it shortly before he pulled it out of the water and remember how amazing it ran--doing something like 65 MPH on what we woud consider very rough water.

Lastly, I'm unsure what options or other things I need to determine about the boat to sell it and where to price it.

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated. The owner has a lot of toys that he uses very infrequently and are all in immaculate condition. I'm sure this boat is as nice as any for the year.

Cheers,
Daniel

Lenny
12-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Daniel.

Boattrader will get your largest audience, as well as list it in your local rag for a couple of weekends and also on http://www.nwoffshore.com .

The motor is most likely a 351 Ford. The "dial" hour meter is on the side of the engine if you look in there. It probably has an OMC King Cobra drive on the back.

The Pacific Northwest is a tough place to sell these things and the market is very small. Spring would be a better time to sell it, but unless the price is ridiculously low you will probably have to hang onto it for some time.

Pricewise, without seeing it, I would think you would be lucky to get much more than $12K for it complete with all of the things listed next. Does it have the windshield? Teal hullsides? trim tabs, thru transom exhaust, cover, etc?

MOP
12-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Look at the engine data tag and get the info on the drive, some of the market value depends on what it has. We can get a better idea iwth good info. I sell holes in the water for a living I will research it for you, then post it in the for sale section with a few pics.

Phil

danielv
12-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Phil/Lenny:
Thank you both for your input. I'll go out to the shop right now and check the engine data tag and the hour meter. The boats I've had didn't have this located on the block so I didn't think to look there!:lookaroun

Phil, I really appreciate the help. I'll post it up soon!

danielv
12-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Here is a picture of the engine and the only engine serial plate I could find. If there is another one with more information, I have no clue where it would be located.

The hours were higher than I thought at 275.

http://pages.prodigy.net/frederickvh1/Current/Engine.jpg

http://pages.prodigy.net/frederickvh1/Current/Engine_Info.jpg

Lenny
12-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Daniel, I see it has tabs but NO thru hull exhaust. That is a 351 FORD motor.

That boat is identical to one I looked at on Lake Union at a boat sales place in 2000. It was $15k then and had been for sale for over a year. It finally sold, but took a while longer and I do not know for how much. Now it is 6 years later...that boat had a teal cover and looked identical to what you have shown me so far. Teal deck stripe was very faded on the one i looked at.

MOP
12-18-2005, 10:12 AM
It looks to be in nice condition, 275 is not high just over 20 hours a year. Being an OMC package there is a little stigma, that is pretty much unfounded. That setup is a darn good package it has a standard Cobra drive very simliar to the Merc Alpha drive but the Cobra is stronger and a lot easier to service, parts for the drive if you break it are getting harder to find. The only real weak point is the ignition, the pack is just about non exsistant. It will make someone a damn good boat, your guy can try for 12K but like Lenny says wait for spring now is not the time to sell.

Phil