PDA

View Full Version : Lifting with Davits

MarkB2000
12-17-2005, 01:02 PM
I have a 1995 Donzi Medallion 212 inboard boat. I had it on a dock but now must move it back to my house. I have davits that have not been used for 4 years and the cables which are 1/4" have never been replaced (the davits are 15 years old) and are very rusty.

The weight limit is missing off the label due to weathering. All they say are Capacity: 0 0

I attemtped to lift the boat and got it about 2 feet out of the water and the cable snapped.

Is this boat too heavy to lift with davits? Is it safe to replace the cable myself? What size/type cable should I get if the davits will support the weight of this boat?

need for speed
12-17-2005, 01:46 PM
new cables is a must....2.....................:cistineb:

MOP
12-17-2005, 04:18 PM
If you can ID the davit and feel like it will do the job let me know how much cable you need, I will measure what is left on a spool I have. It is 1X 19 HT S/S good quality.

Phil

Sport
12-19-2005, 07:19 AM
Mark,

Yes, I work for the Davit Master Corp. I'll be glad to help. First, look for any serial numbers on the davit arm or the davit base. If they are ours that's where you'll find them, even if they are not ours and they are an Ace or Hi-Tide brand I'll probably still be able to identify them. Second, is this a manual or electric winch system. Third, post a photo of the davit base and of the davit arms if possible. If you are using a spreader bar as well I would recomend changing the cable drops also. I'll give you a discount on any parts you may need. We recomend chaning out your cables on davits and boat lifts every 2-3 years for safety. Let me know.

(Sport)
Tony Czubernat
Davit Master Corp
800-878-5560