PDA

View Full Version : Help name my puppy

Carl C
12-16-2005, 07:13 AM
What should I name this little guy? He's a purebred German Shepherd. He will be a companion and a guard dog for my home. Should I go with a name like Petey or Sammy or a tough name like Bruiser or Spike? Please help!:confused:

Kirk
12-16-2005, 07:40 AM
How does ELVIS sound?

it's early and I have not had any coffee yet

KJ

86fxst
12-16-2005, 07:41 AM
What should I name this little guy? He's a purebred German Shepherd. He will be a companion and a guard dog for my home. Should I go with a name like Petey or Sammy or a tough name like Bruiser or Spike? Please help!:confused:
Give him a unique name - one that holds special meaning to you (a loved long gone uncle or grand father). By the way he is precious.
Remember what Frederick the Great, Emperor of Prussia said: "The more I know of man, the more I love my dogs":odie:

Morgan's Cloud
12-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Why don't you call him 'Carpenter' .. I'm sure he'll be doing all sorts of 'odd jobs' around the house :biggrin.:
He's lovely ..... I can't resist doggies... especially puppies !

Lenny
12-16-2005, 09:08 AM
Have you considered "Spot" :D

I am on my fifth German Shepard now. I love these animals. My neighbour has one much like yours (and a puppy) and he named his "Tyson".

I prefer human names for Dogs. Mine is named Fred. (2 years old now)

mattyboy
12-16-2005, 09:15 AM
schultz like in hogan's heroes
cause when you come home and he has torn the house apart
he'll look at you like
"i know nuthin,i see nuthin, i hear nuthin"

Patti
12-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Aww, what a cute pup! :)
I agree with Lenny, I prefer dogs with human names.
Jamie & I have a mini-dachshund named Frankie .. short for Frankfurter :tongue:

Donzi Angel
12-16-2005, 09:28 AM
Give him a name that fits his personality. Jefe and I named our destructo-twins Butch and Sundance after Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. Personalities fit the duo perfect.

MrsDigger
12-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Digger's folks used to always have German Shepherds, and the ones I've heard of seem to have had German names...Rommel, Schotzy, etc. which I thought was kind of cool.

In that vein:
Panzer? Fritz? Franz? Heinz? Baron? Otto? Wolfgang? Kaiser? Maximilian? Bismarck? Gunther? Dietrich? Orkan (means hurricane)? Odin? Bruno?

Or you could look here: http://www.puppydogweb.com/names/single.htm

p729lws
12-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Aww, what a cute pup! :)
I agree with Lenny, I prefer dogs with human names.
Jamie & I have a mini-dachshund named Frankie .. short for Frankfurter :tongue:

We did the family name also. This is my wife's mini-doxin Birdie short for Birdie May.

Dan

BUIZILLA
12-16-2005, 11:18 AM
You can always name it after your Avatar...

:kyle:

BERTRAM BOY
12-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Here's another pic of Jamie and Patty's Frank. He's pictured with one of his girlfriends, Roxy.

The 2nd and 3rd ones are of Baxter the Beagle. He's our 6 month old pup.

BTW, I think Wolfgang or Heinz would be an great name for a German Shepard

Patti
12-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Cliff! :biggrin.:
I remember that! I have pics of Frank & Roxy from when you guys came in June..and of Roxy's first swim! :)
Frank really wanted Roxy to be his girlfriend..but Roxy decided to take the lead and showed Frank who was boss..very funny :jestera:
Baxter is adorable! I wanna new puppy :tongue:

Patti
12-16-2005, 12:04 PM
We did the family name also. This is my wife's mini-doxin Birdie short for Birdie May.
Dan

Oh Dan how adorable :)

They are great dogs..Frankie is 8 now..and he's getting older..i'd love another Dachsie pup! :)

How old is she?

Carl C
12-16-2005, 12:16 PM
You can always name it after your Avatar...
:kyle: You noticed that huh? I'm afraid Dick is out of the question I like some of the other suggestions though. Especially the German ones. I'm off to work now, no hurry on a decision.:moped:

Footloose
12-16-2005, 12:21 PM
All dogs are bi-polar so gofor SMEAGLE

Donzi Kat
12-16-2005, 03:07 PM
I could care less about the name, but could you all keep posting puppy pics. I want one and Fester won't let me.....:bawling: Ok now that I got that out of the way, how bout FRED or GEORGE....:biggrin.:

mattyboy
12-16-2005, 03:34 PM
I had a few dogs when I was little in the city
I had a deaf mutt didn't matter what we called him he wasn't gonna come anyway
and we had another mutt who lost all his legs in an accident we called him lucky but he still din't come when we called him :P actually his full name was lucky strike cause we always took him for a drag :p :) :rlol: rimshot

Carl C
12-16-2005, 08:39 PM
and we had another mutt who lost all his legs in an accident we called him lucky You could have laid him in front of the door and named him Matt.:shocking:

mattyboy
12-16-2005, 09:28 PM
You could have laid him in front of the door and named him Matt.:shocking:
no it would be mat

mrfixxall
12-17-2005, 12:02 PM
come on guys,,,,,,i havn't heard of a dog named DONZI..........

Patti
12-17-2005, 03:30 PM
no it would be mat
:spit: :biggrin:
Btw.got the card..SO cute! Thanks to you and Marie for thanking of us! :)
Be on the lookout this week for one from us :)

BERTRAM BOY
12-17-2005, 04:05 PM
come on guys,,,,,,i havn't heard of a dog named DONZI..........

Actually, Donzigo has a dog named Donzi..........

p729lws
12-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Oh Dan how adorable :)
They are great dogs..Frankie is 8 now..and he's getting older..i'd love another Dachsie pup! :)
How old is she?

Thanks, Bird's almost two now. Laura had a doxin growing up but she's my first puppy. They're great dogs. Here's Bird's serious look, she was a flasher for halloween. :jestera:

Patti
12-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Thanks, Bird's almost two now. Laura had a doxin growing up but she's my first puppy. They're great dogs. Here's Bird's serious look, she was a flasher for halloween. :jestera:
DAN! :jestera:

I LOVE it! lol..they are wonderful dogs :)

When I got Frank he fit in the palm of my hand..I fell in love with him when I saw him :biggrin.:

Does Bird sleep with you guys? Frank cannot wait to get into bed with us..he crawls up next to his daddy and he is out lol..I call Frank my long low shadow..wherever I go I feel his nose on the back of my leg ..he's my lil' buddy :)

I'd love another dacshie pup..but Jamie has his heart set on a either a lab or weimaraner pup..who knows..we might need one of each :rolleyes: :wink:

Ed Donnelly
12-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Mr. Fixxall; We have the following Havaneese
Don,Donzi,Doral,and Spirit, to go along with,Jack,Snowball,Angie,Crystal,Vicky.
Harley....Criterion,Spitfire,and Minx, were nixed by the wife.........Ed

boxy
12-18-2005, 06:47 AM
You noticed that huh? I'm afraid Dick is out of the question I like some of the other suggestions though. Especially the German ones. I'm off to work now, no hurry on a decision.:moped:

Hey, I haven't seen that BullDog in a long time........ :D

Carl C
12-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Right now I'm leaning toward Frankenstein or Satan!:eek: Actually I'd like a good German name. Wolfgang is cool but is a mouthfull. I'm a retailer and very busy this time of year so I haven't been able to research a name. If I don't find a German name I'll probably go with Bruiser. I can't keep calling him Puppy. Anyway, I'm back off to work.:moped:

p729lws
12-19-2005, 07:52 AM
DAN! :jestera:
I LOVE it! lol..they are wonderful dogs :)
When I got Frank he fit in the palm of my hand..I fell in love with him when I saw him :biggrin.:
Does Bird sleep with you guys? Frank cannot wait to get into bed with us..he crawls up next to his daddy and he is out lol..I call Frank my long low shadow..wherever I go I feel his nose on the back of my leg ..he's my lil' buddy :)
I'd love another dacshie pup..but Jamie has his heart set on a either a lab or weimaraner pup..who knows..we might need one of each :rolleyes: :wink:
Patti,
How big is Frank now? We got Bird when she was about 8 weeks. She's about 12 weeks in the photo below. Not much more than a handfull.
We tried the crate thing but she was having none of it! She cried all night for the first week and then somehow managed to get her nose caught in the metal wire door trying to get out. I was in the process of cutting the door to free her when she worked loose but there was enough trauma for the wife that Bird got a free pass to the bed that night and hasn’t seen a crate since. Anyone need a low mileage crate with a slightly damaged door? Isn’t it amazing how much room a 10lb dog can take up in a bed???
Does Frank ever eat carrots? Bird can go through a small bag in one sitting if you don’t cut her off.
Weimaraners are also neat dogs. Our warehouse guy has one that comes to work every day and helps make deliveries. He adopted her when the folks the lived across from our office moved out and left her. We collect around the office for vet bills etc.
Dan

Patti
12-19-2005, 08:23 AM
Dan, Frankie is about 17 pounds..the vet said his weight is fine, but I think he could lose a couple of pounds.

He is a GOOD eater..terrible beggar is more like it lol..I try to not give him table food but my vet always did encourage fresh fruits and veggies for him..he LOVES carrots..in fact there isn't much he doesnt like ;)

Frank likes his sleep..he can tell when we're getting ready for bed and races us to the bedroom and cannot wait to get up into bed..he instantly burrows down under the covers and finds Jamie and plops down lol..he always slept in a crate, from when I first got him..but not for awhile now..he got a taste of sleeping in the bed and well that was it :jestera:

Frank is 8 now..and quite gray..but I remember the puppy days fondly..he was and still is way too cute! ..they definitely are full of personality for little dogs :)

I'd love a puppy..my son is off to college next year..so i'd like a baby to take care of! lol ..Only time will tell what kind of puppy we get though..i'm gonna let Jamie pick ')

Frank is a red dapple..red with black spots..I love Dapples..I think they're adorable :)

p729lws
12-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Dan, Frankie is about 17 pounds..the vet said his weight is fine, but I think he could lose a couple of pounds.

He is a GOOD eater..terrible beggar is more like it lol..I try to not give him table food but my vet always did encourage fresh fruits and veggies for him..he LOVES carrots..in fact there isn't much he doesnt like ;)

Frank likes his sleep..he can tell when we're getting ready for bed and races us to the bedroom and cannot wait to get up into bed..he instantly burrows down under the covers and finds Jamie and plops down lol..he always slept in a crate, from when I first got him..but not for awhile now..he got a taste of sleeping in the bed and well that was it :jestera:

Frank is 8 now..and quite gray..but I remember the puppy days fondly..he was and still is way too cute! ..they definitely are full of personality for little dogs :)

I'd love a puppy..my son is off to college next year..so i'd like a baby to take care of! lol ..Only time will tell what kind of puppy we get though..i'm gonna let Jamie pick ')

Frank is a red dapple..red with black spots..I love Dapples..I think they're adorable :)

Bird hasn't found anything she won't eat besides Science Diet! :shocking: When she was a puppy she got into a bowl of habanera chili which was pretty funny and I thought would turn her off people food but no luck. Frank looks like he’s a good weight. We worry about Bird putting on weight as much as she eats.

Bird would often to put herself to bed pre-Ivan. If you couldn’t find her she was usually in bed already. The post-Ivan bed is much taller so she’s a little pissed.:bawling: She’s a burrower also but I hear they all are. Sometimes she’s a momma’s girl and sometimes a daddy’s girl so we usually both get the cold nose at some point during the night.

No other kids here which explains why we have so many photos of our dog.:eek!: LOL. Laura’s growing up was solid red. The local Doxin rescue society holds annual wiener-dog races as a fund raiser. It’s cool to see all the different colorings and hair lengths The dapple-wire hairs are neat.

Dan

Carl C
12-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Buizilla, Dick is actually a German name meaning "strong leader"! Adolf means "noble wolf", to bad it also means insane madman. I'm down to four choices. Bruno Bruiser Toby Wolfgang (thanks to BERTRAM BOY, means "advancing wolf") Any input??????????

joseph m. hahnl
12-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Carl: Klaus. Hans, Helmut, I think Shep is a great name for a German Shepard.

joe

Schnook
12-19-2005, 07:47 PM
While I think that 'Hans" is a most excellent name, I'd go with Klaus or Hermann.
This is Zach.

Barry Eller
12-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Well, we have dogs too. Both are 8 years old. They are inseparatable and spoiled. The wife and I have never had children, so the dogs are "our babies".
The Cocker's name is "Sir Spotsalot". The Chihuahua's name is "Chico". The have their own lifejackets.

Patti
12-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Barry, very cute!

Jamie's sister has a cocker..Stewart..lemme tell you..he is a handful! :jestera: but so so cute!

All these doggie pics makes me want a puppy..

NOW I know what I want for Christmas ;) lol

Carl C
12-20-2005, 09:50 AM
OK his name is...........................drumroll............. .................................................. ...Toby Von Wolfgang (Toby) Thanks for the great response.:smile:

Schnook
12-20-2005, 10:39 AM
What! What happened to Hans? I demand a recount, I feel disenfranchised! I want FEMA to pay for my hurt feelings! I bet Bush and the NSA told you not to use it! :bawling: Waaaaaaaaahhhhh :bawling:

p.s. That a nice choice;)

Carl C
07-14-2007, 08:00 AM
What should I name this little guy? He's a purebred German Shepherd. He will be a companion and a guard dog for my home. Should I go with a name like Petey or Sammy or a tough name like Bruiser or Spike? Please help!:confused: My cute little German Shepherd has grown into a big, beautiful, smart dog. Very protective too! I fry hamburger every day to mix with my dog's food; no more Chinese food for me or my dogs!

Patti
07-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Wow, he IS grown!

Beautiful pup Carl..he looks like a sweetie :)