PDA

View Full Version : OK: Lets Talk Classics..CARS

DonziJon
12-15-2005, 05:28 PM
The time period is 1963 thru 1970. There was the GTO. There was the SS 396Chevelle. There was the Ford Fairlane GT. There was the Olds 442. Which one was the fastest..out of the box??? That means STOCK. Anyone??? Details Please. DJ

RickSE
12-15-2005, 06:14 PM
You talking regular production cars or are you including the 50-build factory race cars like the COPO ZL1 Camaro, Super Stock Dodge and Thunderbolt Ford?

mattyboy
12-15-2005, 06:16 PM
1/4 mile time?? 1/4 mile speed?? wot top end??

mattyboy
12-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Rick
I would say if you could walk into a dealer with money and drive out in it like the yenko's
or order it thru a dealer and have it delivered

Craig S
12-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Well, since I own a '67 Ranchero XL, I would be shocked if the Fairlane GT (except for those 50 or so 427 side oilers) was anywhere but at the...end. :frown: And I'm a "Ford Guy." I think Car and Driver even made one puke a rod out the side in a comparison test.

The rest would depend on lots of stuff. Geez, there must have been 4 or 5 flavors of Chevelle SS396s in '69. 325/350/375/375hp alum head... Wide and close ratios. 2 speed powerglides, turbohydros, Lots of rear end ratios. All the GM cars were like that. You really could custom order a car. Straight from the factory.

Impossible in these days of emissions warranties and such.

gcarter
12-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Chrysler had at least three levels of performance available to anyone. They really didn't care who bought them.....except for the few they built w/o undercoating and acid dipped front end sheet metal.
Now while I make this statement.....you still had to be on the good side of a dealer somewhere.
At the time I had a '63 plymouth Belvedere two door sedan w/ a 426 stage III wedge, you know the score...push button Torqueflite, factory headers, short cross ram manifold, twin Carter AFB's, pretty radical cam...I don't remember the specs.
Anyway, with the manditory 7" tires, it ran high 12's, nowhere near competitive times, but it was fun.

Lenny
12-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Neat post, and I want to add, there is a big block Cougar here, in pale blue, the 428 or whatever you were talking about, under a tarp outside for the last 20+ years. Lots of "funny" emblems and strange stuff I never saw on other older Cougars, also says "Eliminator" on the side as well. I drive by it EVERYDAY.

And there is a medium green Torino, older fella, (late 60's, early seventies now) with the wild badges and stuff on the side and I guess the 429 or 427, whatever. He has owned it since new. Neither car has ever been seen by the likes of you guys being waay up here. Good thing. :D

Wouldn't mind seeing pics of the stuff you guys own (used to own).

dclassic
12-15-2005, 11:54 PM
George,
Any chance you still have the Plymouth? I would love to see the 63. As far as specs, all very conservative hp numbers from the factory I suspect, but I do recall 13.5:1 compression! My father has restored several Max Wedge cars, nothing quite as unique as an early mopar IMO. I am still hunting a nice early Dart (63-65) to turn into a SCCA car / driver if anyone spies one. He just finished up this nice numbers matching 68 Dart GTS 383 4 speed car. I plan on getting it down here in the spring. Can't wait to take it for a spin. The motor is not quite stock.:wink:
Where is the mopar muscle guys? I believe the Max Wedge and Hemi cars are what muscle cars are all about.

Lenny
12-16-2005, 01:27 AM
Dclassic, we have a couple of early Darts here, but I believe are labeled simply, GTX.. What does that mean??? Is this a big block Canadian thing or was "GTX" International?

How come you have a hood prop and no hood springs? Was that a factory thing or a "you" thing?

NICE car.

dclassic
12-16-2005, 02:04 AM
Lenny,

I have never heard of a Dart or 'A' body labeled GTX. Typically a GTX is a dressed out 'B' body like a Roadrunner or Super Bee. Big block 'A' body's are rare, where a true 'B' body GTX, a big block would be standard. It may be something unusual I am not aware of... I am not the brightest spark. Some strange things were made like a few 65 Dart 'Chargers', which were a small west coast only production run of trim and badging upgrades to a Dart. You just never know what was made.

As far as the hood, it is not stock. My father chose to put on a superstock fiberglass hood and leave off the stock hood with the 383 callouts. My father did all the beautiful work on the car, unfortunately I can take no credit for the result. If it were me, I would have left the stock hood for more of a sleeper look, but that is just me. The hood, motor work, 4 wheel disc brake conversion, and the wheels are about all that is not stock. I will pass along your compliments.

Magicallbill
12-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Lenny;
From 72-83 I owned a Roadrunner/GTX with a 440..
Earlier than my 72, there were Roadrunners AND GTX's..Mine was the only year that I know of that combined the two names.
The last year of the real performance machines was '71. Apparently they dropped the compression of the engines so they could run on reg. fuel. That was the beginning of the end. What followed was 55MPH speed limits, unleaded gas, catalytic converters that caught on fire,and on and on....
My good friend from way back had a Challenger T/A with a 340 Six-Pak;Pistol-Grip shifter, the works..Talk about a singularly beautiful machine. Only a few made in '70, I believe.
He sold it in the mid-80's for $6,000.00 in pieces.(He was rustproofing the thing,and got rid of it.) The buyer came and got it on a trailer. I talked to a guy a few years ago at a car show that had one,and he said they're worth around 60-Grand nowadays. He said my friend shouldn't have sold it...obviously..

gcarter
12-16-2005, 07:25 AM
George,
Any chance you still have the Plymouth? I would love to see the 63. As far as specs, all very conservative hp numbers from the factory I suspect, but I do recall 13.5:1 compression! My father has restored several Max Wedge cars, nothing quite as unique as an early mopar IMO. I am still hunting a nice early Dart (63-65) to turn into a SCCA car / driver if anyone spies one. He just finished up this nice numbers matching 68 Dart GTS 383 4 speed car. I plan on getting it down here in the spring. Can't wait to take it for a spin. The motor is not quite stock.:wink:
Where is the mopar muscle guys? I believe the Max Wedge and Hemi cars are what muscle cars are all about.
No, I sold it in '68. It had 13.5 CR, which really wasn't sustainable on my budget. I lowered it to 11:1. Somewhere around there, I got married. I ended up changing the rear end ratio to something more streetable.....that's how those things happen......
Does anyone remember Grand Spalding Dodge in Chicago? They were always advertising 426 hemis for $2800.00, but you would call them and they were never in stock. They would always offer a 440 instead. As I said before, you had to know someone at a dealership. They weren't exactly unavailable, but you had to be diligent.

mattyboy
12-16-2005, 09:06 AM
some interesting reading

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/general/musclecars-50fast.shtml

DonziJon
12-16-2005, 09:40 AM
It was Feb 7, 1966. I'm looking at the original Bill of Sale from the SS-396 Chevelle Convertable that I bought new that day. Th sale price was $3498.68, including Connecticut Sales Tax of $36.05. It had a four speed, $104.56; Positraction Rear End; $36.60, and the rest of the usual stuff, like Power top; $52.28, PB Radio; $56.99, etc. The only thing I added was a Hurst "Competition Plus" shifter after the first couple of weeks driving with the stock shifter.
The engine was 325 HP with a "Holley" 4 bbl. I think most of the convertables had the 325..the smallest engine for the SS-396. The most common engine was 360 HP in the coupe. They always seemed to be blue. Then there was a 375 HP and I think maybe even a 395.
It was a great car once I got all the warrenty problems fixed. Up until about 1970, when the car had over 100K miles on it, the only thing that could take me was the 1964 GTO. ( I didn't run other '66 Chevelles because all of them had 360 HP). I DID get whomped bad by a 426 ..I think it was a Roadrunner. THAT run was embarrassing. I never "bothered" drag racing again after that.
It seemed that every year when the New models came out they were slower and slower. The older cars were the ones to watch out for. DJ
PS: I traded in a perfectly good 1963 Jaguar XKE Roadster for the Chevelle. The dealer gave me $1800. for it. If only I'd known. :banghead:

turbo2256
12-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Dont forget the Buicks I think there Stage I was the fastest off the show room floor as ordered. There was my friend who ordered a Ramchargers Stage III wedge.

Craig S
12-16-2005, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=turbo2256]Dont forget the Buicks I think there Stage I was the fastest off the show room floor as ordered. QUOTE]

that's what this month's Hemmings Muscle Monthly says...
low 13's out of the box...probably as quick as they got.

mattyboy
12-16-2005, 11:24 AM
pretty surprising to see that the only GTO placed in 47 out of 50 a 67 gto with a 400 ram air . gto that is the first name that pops to mind when the word muscle car is used??

turbo2256
12-16-2005, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=turbo2256]Dont forget the Buicks I think there Stage I was the fastest off the show room floor as ordered. QUOTE]
that's what this month's Hemmings Muscle Monthly says...
low 13's out of the box...probably as quick as they got.
I believe they had one that busted into the 12s and better but some of the parts came in the trunk Stage II

mattyboy
12-16-2005, 11:34 AM
buick stage 1 number 9 on the list
the only buick

mattyboy
12-16-2005, 11:49 AM
The time period is 1963 thru 1970. There was the GTO. There was the SS 396Chevelle. There was the Ford Fairlane GT. There was the Olds 442. Which one was the fastest..out of the box??? That means STOCK. Anyone??? Details Please. DJ
the only 396 was a nova ss to make the list
a cyclone gt made the list
most of the cars on the list are over 400 ci , the 327 fuelie and 351 did make the list tho

Craig S
12-16-2005, 11:57 AM
some of those mags...llike SS&DI and HiPerf CARS tested "tuned" cars. Road &Track and Car Life tried to test them in "off the lot" state to replicate what we would buy.

Headers/drag gears, dyno tune with recallibrated carb and distributer made major differences. Thats the reason legends like the Boss 9 and ZL-1 Camaros were such duds in real life, yet the tuner mags could get low 13s/high 12s. And some cars always delivered the stuff...CJ equipped anything, Buicks, 6 pack anythings. Gawd I feel old...

Rootsy
12-16-2005, 11:58 AM
ya know i watched a tv show a while back on what the first muscle car was and of course they go and break out the 64 GTO... i want to know what happened to the 63 and 64 galaxie 500 427, the 409/ 425 belairs and the max wedge hemi's that predated the Goat...
had Ford offered the T-bolt and the mercury Cyclone (with 427) to the public in 64, things might have been just a bit different in the 60's... but unlike chevrolet and chrysler ford pussed out and didn't just let the ball keep rolling...
I have a mid January (production began in Jan) 1964 Mercury Comet Cyclone 2D HT stuffed way back in the corner of the barn somewhere... she needs to be reassembled and painted... originally equipped with a 210 HP "super cyclone V8" 289 and C4 auto, P/S and P/B... with a 3.00:1 open diff.. *yawn*... you COULD get a 289/271hp Hi-po but only 1 or 2 has ever been "verified" seems FoMoCo never bothered to change the K vin for the hi-po's... K was for my motor... unlike the mustang where K was the 271 motor... in 65 FoMoCo used D for the hi-po cyclone...
most radical and single purpose minded of all of the muscle cars ever produced? probably the ZL1 Camaro.

http://my.tdi.net/~jaroot/Pictures/Cyclone/h_m3.gif

mattyboy
12-16-2005, 12:02 PM
this is all you than Jamie ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-HIPO-HOLMAN-MOODY-2-4V-INTAKE-DUAL-QUAD-NEW-289_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34198QQitemZ4597579 256QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

RickSE
12-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Since you guys are talking about window stickers, check out this one from my dad's car. Not real fast but still a fun car. Man 4-speeds and AC seemed expensive compared to the other options. I've surprised a few new Camaro guys in this sleeper.

Good, at least my car is still quicker then any on the top 50 list and I can drive it on the street.

Anyone see Hot Rod Magazine's Drag Week?

Rootsy
12-16-2005, 12:09 PM
actually matty here is the motor i ran in the Cyclone... 12.83 @ 108 something or other was the best i ever clicked off...

http://my.tdi.net/~jaroot/Pictures/Cyclone/bwengine1.jpg
http://my.tdi.net/~jaroot/Pictures/Cyclone/bwengine2.jpg

but eventually i overfueled the poor girl with an edelbrock XF-8 crossram.. thought i had photos of it here but i guess they are at home on the laptop...

BUIZILLA
12-16-2005, 12:09 PM
My 1972 red Stage 1 went 13.20's in Pure Stock trim at the Pomona World Finals in late 1972, and won the World's that year. Then it went 11.70's with the Stage 2 stuff added in 1973 and ran C/SA class, but no port work allowed. Tuning this combo took it to 11.20's. It has since gone 9.90 @136, worked over, new generation parts, 3800#, now that I have it. The amount of torque these engines make is very surprising... My earlier white bone stock '70 Stage 1 with just slicks, GOOD tuning, and open headers went 12.50's w/ a/c. It went 12.70's capped up. I also had a numbers match purple 440-6 4 speed RR that REALLY surprised the hell out of me, now THAT's a sleeper combo with the right tuning. There is a Certified Stock 440-6 auto Super Bee (Jim Specht) that recently went 11.90's on red line tires, yes, I said showroom stock on factory tires...

JH

turbo2256
12-16-2005, 12:16 PM
So what is number one the Shelby Cobra 427

mattyboy
12-16-2005, 12:22 PM
check out the link I posted see where your favorite came in??

and Jim you know how motor challenged I am , numbers make my head hurt and yes I am the one and only guy who looks at the pics in playboy let's see a pic of that buick ;) :) I don't want to tell ya but in 72 Iwas running tom seaver rookie cards thru the spokes on my schwinn ;)

DonziJon
12-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Anyone ever hear of Griffith?? It was supposed to be a sports car. (British Chassis and body..really ugly looking). Had 72 spoke wire wheels and a 289 Ford stuffed under the hood. It was sold by Dodge dealers. Fiberglass body, rather spartan inside. Had a friend from Greenwood Lake had one. He added some "stuff" under the hood and went drag racing with it. Turned LOW Elevens. Ever see a sports car with wire wheels AND Slicks? I was with him when he stayed with the first 427..425 HP Vette. What year was that?.."65?? We took the Vette by a car length from a standing start and lost by a car length from a roll. The Vette was brand new That DAY and had street tires. After we got off it, we pulled over into a car dealer that was closed for the night to look at the Vette. Before we even got out of the cars, 3 Squad Cars roared in behind us. Everyone was impressed by the Vette. NO ONE got any tickets. Those were the days!

Matty boy: There was a Drive In Restaurant on the west side of Route 17 (4 lane divided hwy) a few miles south of Mahwah where you went if you wanted some street action. Pull out onto the highway and stop traffic until you were staged..then drop the hanky. Famous in Northern NJ in the Sixties.

turbo2256
12-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Had a friend with a 440 6 pack with 3.23 rear gears turn 12.3 stock. Rolled it at 3 months old. I purchased it from his inshurance co. for 250 dollars and put the drive train in my mom's 63 Plymouth passenger waggon. Had a dealer ready to back me back in the Titrack and Morgan days waggons had become popular. Parents moved the family from York Pa to Indianapolis. Lots of stories from that era. Strickler lived down the street from me and cut his grass or was it Stall. Ran some of Moroso's stuff and beat him. Had a Doge Polara Sport for a while with 426 wedge. Sister was in a accedent that totaled the waggon

BERTRAM BOY
12-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Anyone ever hear of Griffith?? It was supposed to be a sports car. (British Chassis and body..really ugly looking). Had 72 spoke wire wheels and a 289 Ford stuffed under the hood.

Do you mean TVR-Griffith like this one?

DonziJon
12-16-2005, 03:40 PM

Yup: That's the one. After awhile they ran out of their initial batch of Ford engines and I believe they used a few Dodges or some such. Then they stopped making them for awhile. Someone else bought them out and maybe reverted to TVR. It's a little unclear to me now. I seem to think I've seen TVRs much more recently, with "KAMM" type rear ends. I think the original TVR had a four banger. The Griffith had an E Type Jaguar fully independent rear end but couldn't handle all the horsepower my friends was making, so he got very good at changing out gears..through a hatch behind the seats. The E Type was only 265 HP, and the little 289 (non stock) was making a lot more than that. :lookaroun DJ

mattyboy
12-16-2005, 03:46 PM
DJ,
you have me an that one in the 60's the mahwah ford plant was still around, there are 2 trucks stops in mahwah still and well my office park might be occupying that space now???
I'll have to check into that and see what I can find out

gcarter
12-16-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm always amazed that some of you have cars you've owned for 20-40 years. How have you managed that?
When I think of three marriages, four or five career changes, constant travel for years at a time while job shopping, how can anyone do it?
I only wish I still had the.........

gcarter
12-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Yup: That's the one. After awhile they ran out of their initial batch of Ford engines and I believe they used a few Dodges or some such. Then they stopped making them for awhile. Someone else bought them out and maybe reverted to TVR. It's a little unclear to me now. I seem to think I've seen TVRs much more recently, with "KAMM" type rear ends. I think the original TVR had a four banger. The Griffith had an E Type Jaguar fully independent rear end but couldn't handle all the horsepower my friends was making, so he got very good at changing out gears..through a hatch behind the seats. The E Type was only 265 HP, and the little 289 (non stock) was making a lot more than that. :lookaroun DJ
TVR has gone through so many iterations. It's had more lives than a cat.
They also used a bunch of 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. Fords. I think they also used the Buick derived V8 that Rover provided.
Lately they are building their own V8 and are producing cars in very small quantities with all the usual quality problems associated with hand built cars. I think they are priced at about $100,000.00, but of course aren't and haven't been imported.

MOP
12-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Out of the box like said above they needed some massaging, I bought 67-1/2 Firebird R/A. It had factory traction bars and what ever, it ran 14.3 stock rubber until Joel from Motion played with to the tune of $1,800. Though still stock;) (really) it turned 13.5 with a set of Micky Max trax, some of the time was wiped by the rubber but most by Joel. The Camaros did me in not by a bunch but I liked the look of the Fire Chicken better.

Phil

gold-n-rod
12-16-2005, 06:32 PM
I don't want to tell ya but in 72 Iwas running tom seaver rookie cards thru the spokes on my schwinn ;)

You're forgiven if it was a Schwinn Orange Krate or a 5 speed, stick shifted StingRay.

I still have one of each of these. :yippie:

Voodoocanoe
12-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Since you guys are talking about window stickers, check out this one from my dad's car. Not real fast but still a fun car. Man 4-speeds and AC seemed expensive compared to the other options. I've surprised a few new Camaro guys in this sleeper.
Good, at least my car is still quicker then any on the top 50 list and I can drive it on the street.
Anyone see Hot Rod Magazine's Drag Week?

WoW, 4spd Olds Wagon and you still have this? Please post some pictures if you do.

DonziJon
12-16-2005, 06:57 PM
TVR has gone through so many iterations. It's had more lives than a cat.
They also used a bunch of 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. Fords. I think they also used the Buick derived V8 that Rover provided.
Lately they are building their own V8 and are producing cars in very small quantities with all the usual quality problems associated with hand built cars. I think they are priced at about $100,000.00, but of course aren't and haven't been imported.

I think the retail price for a Griffith in 1965 was about $5600. My friend was a salesman for Dodge at the time. At the same time, an XKE was about the same price. I sometimes wondered why he bought such an ugly car....without a pedigree...Or looks..for the same money. The answer was simple. He was ONLY interested in "Strait Line" performance. He went on to drive "Funny Cars" professionally. By the way, that SOB would go around corners with slicks as good as any sports car I ever drove....we were being persued by the cops at the time I became aware of this.

One of the funny things about putting "Slicks" under that fiberglass body ...with the sharp transition between sidewalls and road surface rubber....When you stomped on it, the tires would BURN through the wheelwell bodywork and fill the cabin with smoke. Keep the windows open. I think there was a video on this board where someone did a Driveway Burnout with some car with similar results. "Those were the days"!! :wavey:

DonziJon
12-16-2005, 07:17 PM
DJ,
you have me an that one in the 60's the mahwah ford plant was still around, there are 2 trucks stops in mahwah still and well my office park might be occupying that space now???
I'll have to check into that and see what I can find out

That Drive In might have been as far south as Paramus. I'm not sure. I am Trying to remember the NAME. You need to ask your dad. I'm sure he has been there. Hit me with the name and I will remember.

There was another place down on Rt 10 near Whippany..The "Other Place." There was a guy who would come in there with a Corvette with a trailer..with a Vincent Black Shadow on the trailer. The challenge was: Which one do you want to run?

Lenny
12-16-2005, 07:34 PM

A fella here in town with a Muffler/front end shop has two TVR's. One has a twin Gale Banks Turbo 350. It doesn't even sound like something you would want to "sit in". Must be a ride. Years ago, I watched him matt it on a local road and do 2 360's at about 50 and carry on... :eek:

BERTRAM BOY
12-16-2005, 08:26 PM
For those of you interested in TVR cars.
http://www.tvrna.com/

DonziJon
12-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks Bertram Boy for the link. I just saved it and will check it out later. I looks like there will be some reading.

MattyBoy: The name of that Drive In on Route 17 was "Stewarts" and was in either Ridgewood or Paramus. It's hard to tell from the map OR real life. The young kids that just got their licences went to McDonalds....we called them hamburger bandits. They still had their first cars. The older crowd, that was us....in our twenties, went to Stewarts. "WE" had the real machines and were to be reckoned with. Stewarts had "Curb Girls" and of course McDonalds didn't because "that" was "family" restaurant. :beer:

DonziJon
12-17-2005, 07:08 PM
For those of you interested in TVR cars.
http://www.tvrna.com/
Hi BB: Just read the link you posted. Great reading. There was something in there about a problem with overheating. (289 Griffith) I had forgotten about that. There were two electric fans (maybe 3) to cool the radiator. Nothing mechanical. The engine ran hot at local speeds...BUT the thing that I noticed then, was that the fans drew over 20 Amps. Keep the revs up around town to keep the battery from depleting..and up went the heat. Rock and a hard place. Solution: Get back on the hyway. DJ

olredalert
12-17-2005, 07:45 PM
-----Bought a slightly used 1965 Griffith in 1969. It was one of four ever made with a 350hp/289 Cobra dual quad drivetrain by Jack Griffith. Its funny as the guy I bought it from was a drag racer too. Was the racers car you are talking about British Racing Green??? Most Griffiths had the standard 289 with a two-barrel (believe it or not). Most were then upgraded of course with all manor of aftermarket pieces. Mine weighed 1980lbs wet and would whip any Corvette in Lauderdale at the time. Im not saying that as a Corvtte hater, as I made my living for over 25 years selling and restoring 63 up Vettes, some of which were extremely fast. The Griffith was just one mean sumnabitch, with a power to weight ratio that hardly anything on the street could even come close to. You had to have a deft touch to even drive it in a straight line. Spun it out several times in the two years I had it. I always wondered about the reason for the low weight and found out years later that the frames were literally made from exhaust tubing. Even knowing that I wish I had the little bugger back!!!.........Bill S

---------DonziJon,,,,,I see your post now and overheating was a problem. I took those factory fans off and adapted a very large refrigertor fan to the front of the radiator. Never had a problem with cooling or ammps after that!!!

boldts
12-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Ahhh yes, if only I still had my early cars.

1st - 1969 Dodge Cornet 500 - 318 Auto - Didn't see very many of these around and still don't as I believe the 440 Cornet was the more popular car.

2nd - 1964 Chevelle SS - 327 SB with 3 2bls on top, Muncie 4 sp close and 4:10 posi. This very light because of first year car gave the big blocks a run for their money in the 1/4. Any longer than that though, I was cooked goose.

3rd - 1967 Chevelle Malibu - What can I say, I loved the tail lights and was a Chevy guy growing up.

4th - 1972 Chevy 1/2 ton - Towed the boat real well and nothing like that bench seat to let the gf sit close.

5th - 1999 Chevy Tahoe - 4 drs and towed the boat. No more being asked to help move friends other than the use of my arms.

Now - 1998 Honda Civic - No more boat and boy can I appreciate the gas mileage after all the previous vechicles.

Dream car would have to be a 32 Ford street rod or a 1965 GTO. I always liked the hood and grill over the 64. Amazing because on the Chevelle, I'm the exact opposite. I always liked the 64 Chevelle over the 65, however in 65 you could get the 396 engine. That had to be a kick a** ride.

pmreed
12-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Scott, I bought new a '66 SS 396, 360 HP. Color was Aztec Bronze; Muncie 4 spd and Positraction were the only options. I ordered it new in the summer of '65 and traded my '63 Corvair Monza on it. I loved it. Mid to high 13s in the 1/4 until I took it over to Smokey Yunic's shop in Daytona to have it blue-printed. Best after that was a 12.97. I never actually raced the car; I just paid to run it to see what it could do. It was faster than most of the cars around town, but there was a '62, 421 Catalina that was a killer. Rumor had it that it was an ex-Nascar motor with something like 550 HP. I recall getting about 15 MPG regardless of how I drove it. Not that I checked it often, mileage wasn't a prority:) .
A few months ago, I was talking to some friends down by the lake about 60s muscle cars. One of the guys is a Porsche-a-phile and asked how they handled and braked. I, and a few others, had to laugh. Handling, braking?? We told him it was all about tire smokin', neck snappin' acceleration back then!
Most embarrassing moment? Pulling out of the Steak n Shake in Winter Park the evening it was delivered, burning rubber out onto 17-92, and stalling it in the middle of the road:embarasse . It needed a somewhat lighter foot than the Corvair!!
Phil

DonziJon
12-18-2005, 10:13 AM
-----Bought a slightly used 1965 Griffith in 1969. It was one of four ever made with a 350hp/289 Cobra dual quad drivetrain by Jack Griffith. Its funny as the guy I bought it from was a drag racer too. Was the racers car you are talking about British Racing Green??? Most Griffiths had the standard 289 with a two-barrel (believe it or not). Most were then upgraded of course with all manor of aftermarket pieces. Mine weighed 1980lbs wet and would whip any Corvette in Lauderdale at the time. Im not saying that as a Corvtte hater, as I made my living for over 25 years selling and restoring 63 up Vettes, some of which were extremely fast. The Griffith was just one mean sumnabitch, with a power to weight ratio that hardly anything on the street could even come close to. You had to have a deft touch to even drive it in a straight line. Spun it out several times in the two years I had it. I always wondered about the reason for the low weight and found out years later that the frames were literally made from exhaust tubing. Even knowing that I wish I had the little bugger back!!!.........Bill S
---------DonziJon,,,,,I see your post now and overheating was a problem. I took those factory fans off and adapted a very large refrigertor fan to the front of the radiator. Never had a problem with cooling or ammps after that!!!
BILL: My friend got to the point where he wouldn't even bother running Vettes because it was a waste of rubber. That night we ran the 427/425 HP Vette out of Stewarts... I had to insult him every which way to get him to run that Vette. There had been a big article in Hot Rod the month before about the NEW 425 HP Vette turning in the elevens and I waved the Spectre of his Rep going to hell if he didn't. He was a very quiet guy when behind the wheel and I remember him repeating over and over during the run.."I can't believe this..I've NEVER had a Vette along side before".

I had thought the car was Black, but now that I think about it, it may have been Green. Coincidently, he moved to Lauderdale some time in the late sixties, although he spent a lot of time on the road with the Funny Car driving all night from one track to another in season. It was a 1971 Ford Maverick. (7.06 ET, 204 MPH) "East Coasts Fastest and Quickest Ford" so went the promo. DJ

olredalert
12-18-2005, 12:14 PM
DJ,

-------Bought that car in Woburn Mass. Then took it to Ft.Lauderdale. The most fun I ever had with it was when spring break came around. That thing was a chick magnet. They thought it was such a cute little car and then we would go for a "ride" and Id get into it a bit. Scare the livin bejesus out of them. Had one girl get out at the next stoplight and walk back to the bar!!! Those were the days..........Bill S

mrfixxall
12-18-2005, 02:21 PM
classics,,heres a couple i work on...some of you may have seen then on the nmce nastalga pro edlbroch series thet we run between pa and fl..the first is drived by barb sergis mom of 5 in her 67 camero powered by a 632 gene fulton nos that runs 7.69 and the second is driven by tony nesbitt in his
2001 corvette powered a 632 mike moran nos two stages that runs 7.29...

BUIZILLA
12-18-2005, 04:51 PM
It was faster than most of the cars around town, but there was a '62, 421 Catalina that was a killer. yeah baby, now we're talkin my language...

JH

Lenny
12-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Jim, a buddy here bought a used 421 Tri-power Gran-Prix back in the early 80's. All black, original, 2 door hardtop, and those 8 lug aluminum wheels. Neat car. He paid about $800.00 for it and sold it for about the same 5 years later. You can bet that this car is not available for that price anymore. 4 speed too if I remember right. It wasn't the 64-ish style, with the GTO type grill, it was earlier. In fact, after a Google or two, this IS what it was but with the Tri-power and black. Can't believe it. $23,500 for this now. I know the $800.00 dollar thing is true, in fact, no one wanted it. Plus I talk to him.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/20968.html

DonziJon
12-18-2005, 05:18 PM
DJ,
-------Bought that car in Woburn Mass. Then took it to Ft.Lauderdale. The most fun I ever had with it was when spring break came around. That thing was a chick magnet. They thought it was such a cute little car and then we would go for a "ride" and Id get into it a bit. Scare the livin bejesus out of them. Had one girl get out at the next stoplight and walk back to the bar!!! Those were the days..........Bill S

BILL: Those WERE the days. :cool:

BUIZILLA
12-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Dammmm, why is it tax time when I see a red, dual quad, 4 speed car, for sale, that i've wanted for YEARS !!!

dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

JH

did I mention, Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cuda
12-18-2005, 05:47 PM
I was a motorhead back in high school. My best buddy would be at my house every Saturday morning waking me up. We were either wrenching on one of our cars, or out car "shopping". When we first met, he had some big ole Chrysler a 63 I think, with a big V8 (383?). I had a 66 Ford Custom with a 289 that I paid $150 for. Someone had run the piss out of it, I had to rebuild the engine because I couldn't afford the three quarts of oil a day. :)
The guy before me had changed the three in the tree to a little bitty floor shift, that you had to lean down to shift. We had a ball in those cars, we ended up blowing both of them up. He then got a 65 Mustang 289 HiPo that was all original. Of course we couldn't stand that. He put in a 4:88 rear with the spider gears welded together. It would drag one tire around corners. We took it to the strip, and we had heard if we diconnected the front shocks, it would get better traction. I don't know if it was better traction or not, but it put two nice big buckles in the hood where the shocks hit it. :(
In stock form, it ran 14.7 or a tad quicker sometimes. He sold it because he never could beat my buddy that had a basically stock 70 Nova with a 327 auto. Pissed him off so bad, he sold the HiPo and bought a Boss 351 just to beat the Nova. It still didn't do it. The Boss was a dog! I outran it with my dad's 351 Torino! (Don't tell dad) We ended up about ruining my other buddy's Nova. Put in a 5:88 rear end and ran it on the road. Didn't take long to wear the engine out. I still marvel how fast that frickin Nova was. All it had was headers and a shift kit. I had a 351 Mach I then. The Nova couldn't leave me, but I would be about at the back of his door at the end of a quarter. What great times! :)

farmer tx
12-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Restored this in 1988. Found parked under a dead elm tree that could have fallen at any moment in 1982. #'s matching SS 454 LS5 version. A/T, P/B, no A/C. Originally purchased in Hollywood NM. (now Ruidoso Downs).

mrfixxall
12-18-2005, 10:25 PM
my dad bought me this car in 1981 and i still have it 1972 monte carlo allopt but pw ans pdl...dammmmmm.47000 org miles ls3 402bb....

Lenny
12-18-2005, 11:38 PM
Mrfixall, we still have a pair of Monte Carlo, 454 cars of this same style here in town. One is not restored, it is original. Might be a '70, I am not sure.

Like yours, gold, but more yellow.

They must be part of this 3800-ish number.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/chevrolet-montecarlo/chevrolet-montecarlo-history.shtml

Rootsy
12-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Been racing with these 3 brothers for about 8 years now... they bought the car brand new in December of 68, drove it for 2 weeks and been racing it NHRA and IHRA ever since. Originally a 69 Z28 302 4 speed car... but now races NHRA SS/IA claiming the 255 350 motor (small valve heads)... runs consistantly in the 9.90 - 9.92 @ 130 - 131 mph range... they did hold the SS/IA class record briefly last spring...

the white is the old paint job.. the ghost flames is the new scheme...

boldts
12-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Lenny, that "Cars- Onsite" website is tooooo awsume! Holy cow Chevelles, GTOs you name it, it's in there in just about any year, color or option package. Can't seem to shut it off :yes: Mark, Nice 454 Chevelle. Had a friend with a red one with black stripes, all options and 400 Turbo trans with some work done to it. Got to like those big block Monte Carlos from the 70 to 72 years. Jamie, can't imagine what the 69 Camaro in original condition would go for today with that 302 in it. I love watching Barrett Jackson! Funny, I got out of cars and bought the 1969 18' Classic because I was about to loose my license in PA. We moved and I still have dad to thank for that timely move. Anyway, at the time, there were no speed limits on the local lake and a Donzi Classic with-out a windshield feels like your flying with the wind hitting your face.

olredalert
12-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Jamie,

------Very cool Camaro. I just delivered my latest piece of artwork, a 69 Z28, to Texas and its new owner. He figures it would bring around 90/95 thousand at Barrett/Jackson. It looks like the three brothers have had about that much fun over all those years of racing. Its funny, my old SS/DA LS6 Chevelle held the world record in 1972 at 10.75/128. Shows you just how far technology has taken the sport. I stopped getting National Dragster a couple of years ago so am not sure what the SS/DA record is today. If SS/IA is where your car is at SS/DA must be pretty deep in the nines. I do know that the hot SS/DA car for the last several years is the COPO combo (427/425hp/auto) in a 69 Camaro. They factored 1970 LS6s out of the class due primarily to my old car (Red Alert) and others like it. Sometimes I miss the racing but then I think of all the time we spent between rounds yanking hot transmissions out for converter changes on our backs, and running down the St.Clair river at 60+ in a DONZI seems like alot more fun!!!............Bill S

Rootsy
12-19-2005, 09:02 AM
here you go Bill,

http://www.nhra.com/stats/ss_record.html

so just how well does the corsican run?

Lenny
12-19-2005, 09:16 AM

In the early 70's I think Jamie with no props played with yet.

Bill, why don't you email me "those" pics and I will upload 'em for you :D as well as that pic of something from Pennsylvania ;)

Lenny
12-19-2005, 09:17 AM

In the early 70's I think Jamie with no props played with yet.

Bill, why don't you email me "those" pics and I will upload 'em for you :D as well as that pic of something from Pennsylvania ;) http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/outtahere.gif