PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable payments when selling

senna
12-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Merry Christmas all,

I am in the process of selling my boat (not a Donzi). And was wondering, other than cash, what is an acceptable form af payment to accept? I think taking a personal check and signing over the title and watching them drive away sounds a little risky. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Patrick

Rootsy
12-15-2005, 01:02 PM
certified bank (cashiers) check... if you take a personal check you best give it a week or so to clear the bank before you turn over the boat.

senna
12-15-2005, 01:49 PM
That's what I thought. Just getting more cynical as I age and making sure I don't get snowed.

Thanks

Patrick

Schnook
12-15-2005, 04:04 PM
There are also third party escrow services, but I'd go with a cashiers check, nothing left to chance there.

Carl C
12-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Patrick, do not accept a cashiers check there are new scams involving them. I would only accept cash and check the money carefully. A cashiers check may clear innitially but then they can tell you that it is a clone and demand the money back.

joseph m. hahnl
12-15-2005, 05:31 PM
yah what he said!!!!!!!!!!! what ever method of payment allow the funds to reach your account before you pass title.

joe

mattyboy
12-15-2005, 06:02 PM
there's a difference between a cashiers check and a certifed check one is written by the bank cashier usually after getting cash the other is written on your personal account and the bank certifies that the funds are available (frozen so to speak)to cover the check usually they charge for that service
If you take cash make sure you have someone who knows what fake bills look like or how to test them

Carl C
12-15-2005, 06:11 PM
If you take cash make sure you have someone who knows what fake bills look like or how to test them Very true, Matty. One new scam is to bleach a five and reprint it as a twenty. You must read the numbers on the security strip and check the color shifting ink. Do not rely on the testing pens as newsprint tests OK! No check is safe anymore IMO.

Lenny
12-16-2005, 01:48 AM
Patrick, it is customary to accept a couple o' boxes of Cuban Cigars from Canadians as a straight trade. It used to be Beaver pelts, but now, we, as the rest of the WORLD, have established new trading partners... :D

Seriously,..
Cash, real, recieved and RUN through a machine at the bank, or a Bank Draft, from the BANK, drawn against a personal account. All you see is the MAJOR BANK paying you from THEIR chequing account. That is fairly safe. Forget the "Certified" thing if you are leary... VISA works everytime, call it in, Mastercard, American Express etc, call the number on the back of his/her card if you are or have a business. Do your transaction at a BANK and have it Authorized, end of story. If I was buying from you, and I was legit, would I care where we made the deal???.. of course NOT.

It is pretty creepy when some go OUT OF THEIR WAY to help people, most definately here as well, and "WE" create this "Global Village", encompassing trust, respect, and goodwill, and others see this as a way in, to undermine all of the above attributes, as well as financially, and ultimately promote chaos and mistrust and thus,.. the reason for your Post. :mad:

Carl C
12-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Patrick, it is customary to accept a couple o' boxes of Cuban Cigars from Canadians as a straight trade. You don't think those cigars really come from Cuba do you?:jestera:

boxy
12-16-2005, 07:26 AM
The ones we buy legally up here do, the junk you guys buy at a swap meet usually come from some third world manure pile.... :D :D

MOP
12-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Wire transfer is the very best way to get secured funds.

Phil

Schnook
12-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Patrick, it is customary to accept a couple o' boxes of Cuban Cigars from Canadians as a straight trade. It used to be Beaver pelts, but now, we, as the rest of the WORLD, have established new trading partners... :D
Seriously,..
Cash, real, recieved and RUN through a machine at the bank, or a Bank Draft, from the BANK, drawn against a personal account. All you see is the MAJOR BANK paying you from THEIR chequing account. That is fairly safe. Forget the "Certified" thing if you are leary... VISA works everytime, call it in, Mastercard, American Express etc, call the number on the back of his/her card if you are or have a business. Do your transaction at a BANK and have it Authorized, end of story. If I was buying from you, and I was legit, would I care where we made the deal???.. of course NOT.
It is pretty creepy when some go OUT OF THEIR WAY to help people, most definately here as well, and "WE" create this "Global Village", encompassing trust, respect, and goodwill, and others see this as a way in, to undermine all of the above attributes, as well as financially, and ultimately promote chaos and mistrust and thus,.. the reason for your Post. :mad:
Wow Lenny, you're good.

senna
12-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Thank you everyone for your wisdom.

It sure is a scary thought that even cash is not safe. A wire transfer sure would be painless. It is sure a sad state of affairs that I even needed to ask. Unfortunately, it is no longer someones word and a hand shake, like it should be.

Patrick

Moody Blu'
12-19-2005, 12:04 AM
paypal works great

Rootsy
12-19-2005, 06:12 AM
paypal works great

minus 3% of course :rolleyes:

Moody Blu'
12-19-2005, 12:10 PM
minus 3% of course :rolleyes:

nope, if you setup a paypal account for bank transfers ONLY there IS NO 3% the minute you start to accept credit cards through pay pal they take 3% from even bank funds!

there pretty sneaky. I know akid who did a few transactions with CC and most through bank funds and when i told him that he was like oh my god. hes done over 30,000 through pay pal 50, here 400 there etc..

I set up 2 seaparate accounts, one for CC and one for banks
i needed two separate bank accounts though.