PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic suggestions....

ospreyproduction
12-14-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm new to this site and I don't know that much about IO's. I have however thought that the 22 Classic has always been a cool rig.
I'm looking for a 22 Classic and I'm coming from a 27 Cougar MTR Catamaran with twin 300X's. I've been an outboard guy forever and I thought that I'd try something different. I don't know squat about what is a good IO motor and I'm looking for some input. What should I avoid????
What motor would you suggest?
What is considered high hours?
What outdrive?
(I have some concerns about the King Cobra drive.....should I?)
What about the Blackhawk?
Is silent choice exhaust common on a 22?

Lenny
12-14-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm new to this site and I don't know that much about IO's. I have however thought that the 22 Classic has always been a cool rig.
I'm looking for a 22 Classic and I'm coming from a 27 Cougar MTR Catamaran with twin 300X's. I've been an outboard guy forever and I thought that I'd try something different. I don't know squat about what is a good IO motor and I'm looking for some input. What should I avoid????

What motor would you suggest? 496 MAG HO or 502 MAG MPI

What is considered high hours? More than a few hundred to me

What outdrive? Bravo X or Bravo One if an older boat

I have some concerns about the King Cobra drive.....should I? no, other than parts and get the later version of one

What about the Blackhawk? The Blackhawk Hull and drive are a blast, BUT a handful and do not like big water and going fast, WOT. Waaayyy different boat than a 22 Classic

Is silent choice exhaust common on a 22? YES

These are "MY" opinions only

ospreyproduction
12-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Is there are preference on the 496HO or a 502?

Cuda
12-14-2005, 07:09 PM
A 496 will be a newer engine. I know a guy with twin 502's in a Fountain that he ran the piss out of, he got over 600 hours before he finally blew one. It wasn't from lack of effort. The 496 will be closed cooling too.

Would this change to I/O have anything to do with the exit of a piston when you were at the Jungle Run? :)

RedDog
12-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Is there are preference on the 496HO or a 502?
I have a 502 Mag MPI in a '98 Classic. I would think there are several pluses for the 496 HO. Newer, fresh water cooled, a little more HP out of the factory, Bravo X drive(?)

need for speed
12-14-2005, 07:28 PM
And there is always a... 454 ... that's even for sale...:umbrella:

onesubdrvr
12-14-2005, 07:38 PM
I've always like the 454 for some reason, seems to be a pretty tough block.

As far as the King Cobra drive, I don't see that as an issue, there are some guys here running 600 +/- hp through a KC drive with no issues. They are actually as durable or more durable than a Bravo drive. And, as with everything, maintainence is the key to longevity.

Wayne

ospreyproduction
12-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Would this change to I/O have anything to do with the exit of a piston when you were at the Jungle Run? :)

LOL....LOL....

I had the Cougar up for sale before I went on the Jungle Run. I had to buy a new powerhead for the right side. I really want to get something a little smaller than the 27 and I have always liked the 22 Classic. I've thought about going back to a 21 Skater, 22 Talon, a STV Euro or just a simple deck boat and not worry about any of this.

I've never even had a ride in a 22 Classic!!! Will I be dissapointed???

roadtrip se
12-15-2005, 07:47 AM
LOL....LOL....

Doubt it. I had several big offshore boats, before the Classic, and about the only time I miss the big boats is in the really big water. Then, I start doing the chainsaw math in my head, and quickly sober up.

Of course, I've added a little spice to mine over the years that makes it a complete hoot to drive.

This is standard advice. Go to a Sea Dog rally in your area or come on up to the AOTH at Cumberland in the spring. Happy to take you for a ride, you'll meet some great people, and the decison on what to do will be easy!

Cuda
12-15-2005, 07:56 AM
I had my first ride in a 22 in October. I bought one in November.

You should come to the Seadog get together at the Mt Dora Antique Boat Show. There will be several Donzi's to check out.

BUIZILLA
12-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Why wait for Dora weekend.... just visit with us during the Miami Boat Show weekend, if your not sold on a 22 by then, your looking at the wrong boat anyways.

JH

undertaker
12-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Owned a 28ZX & 33ZX went for a ride in Dr. Dans 22 classic (King Cobra Drive:biggrin.: ) and now own a 2005 22 classic w/ 496 MAG HO love it, and like roadtrip said do NOT miss the bigger boats at all. Once you go for a ride in a 22 you are hooked its a awesome ride. Good luck. Need for speeds boat is real NICE:cool!: you might want to check it out.:yes:

Undertaker :propeller

p729lws
12-15-2005, 10:09 PM
LOL....LOL....
I had the Cougar up for sale before I went on the Jungle Run. I had to buy a new powerhead for the right side. I really want to get something a little smaller than the 27 and I have always liked the 22 Classic. I've thought about going back to a 21 Skater, 22 Talon, a STV Euro or just a simple deck boat and not worry about any of this.

What speeds were you running with the 300X's?

Lenny
12-15-2005, 11:20 PM
What speeds were you running with the 300X's?

My "guess" is 110. Get used to 35 less mph if you buy a 22 :) but you will love it. Deneen has run in Roadtrips a couple times, as have I, HP500 at sea level in that boat is FUN. :yes: ...oh, and add 5-7 mph to that last 22 Classic MPH number if that is how it ends up :D

dclassic
12-16-2005, 02:16 AM
If you are up for a roadtrip to Atlanta, I will be more than happy to take you for a spin accross Lanier in the legendary Tomahawk 22 classic. Tom took great care of it for me and even though it only has a 454 mag, it do run strong. Donzi's are lots of fun, give it a go.

I can't thank all the local Donzi guys enough for doing the same for me. Of course, now I have one too...

ospreyproduction
12-16-2005, 07:32 AM
That may part of my problem here. I'm not sure I'll be too happy running 40MPH all the time. Normal cruise speed for us is between 75 and 85 in the Cougar. It runs right at 100 wide open.