PDA

View Full Version : Where are the BIG Z DONZI'S...?

Dons_Donzi
12-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Dont get me wrong... i love a good lake boat. Slick water is fun...
But where are all the post on big twins...? Offshore Racing... launching off the big swells and catching some air...?
Salt water problems and seas strainers and stuff...?

( hey.. a guy has to learn from his peers right..?)

:confused:

T and D

p729lws
12-14-2005, 02:17 PM
www.offshoreonly.com

Last Real Texan
12-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Again www.offshoreonly.com , Some serious hardware over there.

Donzigo
12-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Where in Florida?

What type of Donzi do you have or wish to have?

RedDog
12-14-2005, 07:18 PM
This board trends more toward the Classics. While the big guys do participate here, they represent a minority of the board population. While I have a Classic, I'd love to see more discussion here relating to the bigger Donzis - ya gotta dream...

goatee
12-14-2005, 10:16 PM
ok,, i have a question. what about the cruisers? is donzi still making any with the flying bridge?

Digger
12-15-2005, 06:20 AM
we're out here. The open ocean boating is a thrill and I've had a good dose of it here around VA beach, as well as in SoCal waters off Newport and San Diego. My ZX is a tremendously capable sea boat, but I will be honest with you, I do not wring her out much when the swell and chop gets over 4'-5'. Extended air time and re-entry, no matter how talented you are with the sticks, while thrilling, is tough on equipment, particularly when you consider it's everything x 2. Two drives, two motors. Freedom's like a powerful horse on which I keep a tight reign... I marvel at the guys who can laugh about blowing drives and busting engine mounts... if your pockets are deep, what the heck go for it. But if you're like me you want the stuff to last.
I have a couple massive sea strainers from Stainless Marine but as of yet are uninstalled, I am scratching my head on where to fit 'em that they will be accessible. In my model years, engine room accessibility is NOT a ZX strong point.
I dont have salt water problems (knock on wood) because I am anal about post fun washdown and flush. It takes Darcy and I 2 1/2-3 hrs back at home to clean her up, every time. Flush and clean, stem to stern...

Donzigo
12-15-2005, 08:25 AM
I have a 1989 Z-33 that has been restored from front to the transom, every wire, piece of plywood, as well as upholstry replaced. She's my Donzi "mistress on the water"......but not to be fooled, she's got lot's of open water capabilites. I so some minor wave jumping; but, only if conditions are just right and never for long. I, too, aim for longivity.

Digger, I mounted the strainers on both sides of the center stringer just in front of the engines. It seems to work well. there. I can see it and have easy access.

Richard

Digger
12-15-2005, 09:12 AM
thats a good spot for them Richard, not sure if they will fit in my case. How many inches do you have from the front of your motors to the firewall? I've got very little space there :(

Dons_Donzi
12-15-2005, 10:08 AM
it was a dream boat, till i stopped and checked her out..
i own a 98 28ZX... twin 350 magnums... 600 hp at the prop.

we have caught some air, a few good times... perfect conditions most of the time... she lands sooo sweet... not a rattle... just sweet as can be.

she was abused as a child... someone took her as a project, dropped 2 new crate motors in her... and painted the sides, got new graphics that are a perfect factory match... she had 28 hours on the new motors...
and some custom seat covers on the captain and nav seats...

very little wear on the rest of her... but the owners wife was ready to get her gone... so i picked it up for $42k... with a new trailer.. so

i cant beat it... she booked WAY more than that.

i dont beat her... we just like to cruise about 50mph... its awesome..!!!
:biggrin.: