PDA

View Full Version : Drive Maintenance

Schnook
12-13-2005, 10:55 PM
First I need to say thanks for all the advice on removing my outdrive. It was so easy a caveman could do it! Now that it's off, is there any maintenance I should think about?

p.s. I already did a search and I'm not looking through 20 pages of threads!

MOP
12-14-2005, 12:15 AM
First I need to say thanks for all the advice on removing my outdrive. It was so easy a caveman could do it! Now that it's off, is there any maintenance I should think about?
p.s. I already did a search and I'm not looking through 20 pages of threads!

Good idea to drain it, check the magnet on the drain screw. It may well have a small wad of junk on it. I usually clean the magnet with my fingers so I can feel for any grittiness or sharp particles. Oil should not have a grey to whitish look, it should not be to dark that shows of poor maintenance. While I have them off vacuum/pressure check them. Grease all fittings, U joints, gimble bearing, steering/tilt pivots where it has fittings, "some of the later stuff" only have a gimble bearing fitting. A little messy but stick your hand in through the bellows to get a feel of the gimble bearing, you can usual jam 3 fingers into the bore or the bearing, turn it, it should feel very smooth but it is normal for it to be a bit hard to turn due to size and grease.

Phil

MOP
12-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Added note clean the drive shaft splines and coat them and the area where the Orings are with Merc spline grease to have it ready for next season and protect it over the lay up period.

Phil