PDA

View Full Version : Family St. Tropez circa 1970

Islander
12-12-2005, 06:55 PM
These are a couple of images my cousin just emailed me of his family's St. Tropez, with him at the helm, and my brother and me alongside. The pictures were taken around 1970 in Nassau Harbour.
Thought the group might like them.

Lenny
12-12-2005, 07:16 PM
NIIIICE... :yes:

Reminds me of the PHOTO BOAT (Brochure Boat) from the era with the float-plane out back and a few "pretty broads" :D I think from the Bahamas as well.

gold-n-rod
12-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Three lucky boys right there.

Looks like some big fun being had. A few bikini-clad females and you boys would have been in heaven on earth.

Cool pics, thanks for sharing.

Morgan's Cloud
12-13-2005, 06:51 AM
:biggrin: You KNOW I like those :biggrin:
Thanks for posting them .. I love the sense of action/speed in the second photo
Maybe one day I'll experience it again .....
Steve

Islander
12-13-2005, 02:00 PM
:biggrin: You KNOW I like those :biggrin:
Steve

Knew you would. Any forward movement on yours?

Craig S
12-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Great PIC!

Lenny
12-14-2005, 12:00 AM
Something I posted a while back, thanks to Steve... :D

Morgan's Cloud
12-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Knew you would. Any forward movement on yours?
Well , after 3 years of good steady progress things came to a screeching halt as soon as I had to turn to 'outsiders' for assistance.
It took 4 months to get the transom cut for the new setup and I wasted 5 months on two different painters who continually made promises that they could'nt keep.
Finally the 3rd one accepted the job but wanted the boat at his (inconveinient) location .. not mine.
So he gave me his permission to go ahead and do all the primeing work myself.
I wish I had a crystall ball back in August ! !
The hull is now fully primed and I am on the deck and interior pieces, first coat of primer and glazing. It is a LOT of tedious work but is coming out well. Besides , as we all know , the key to a great finish is all in the prepwork. If the guy who does the final (colour) coat charges his time only , I should have a great job for about $400 . Yah ! I can see that now :rolleyes: :bonk:
For the last three years , the uninitiated have been asking "Will you have it ready for the sunmmer ?"
I have now rescheduled it's launch date to "Sometime" :biggrin:

Islander
12-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Well , after 3 years of good steady progress things came to a screeching halt as soon as I had to turn to 'outsiders' for assistance.
It took 4 months to get the transom cut for the new setup and I wasted 5 months on two different painters who continually made promises that they could'nt keep.
Finally the 3rd one accepted the job but wanted the boat at his (inconveinient) location .. not mine.
So he gave me his permission to go ahead and do all the primeing work myself.
I wish I had a crystall ball back in August ! !
The hull is now fully primed and I am on the deck and interior pieces, first coat of primer and glazing. It is a LOT of tedious work but is coming out well. Besides , as we all know , the key to a great finish is all in the prepwork. If the guy who does the final (colour) coat charges his time only , I should have a great job for about $400 . Yah ! I can see that now :rolleyes: :bonk:
For the last three years , the uninitiated have been asking "Will you have it ready for the sunmmer ?"
I have now rescheduled it's launch date to "Sometime" :biggrin:

Steve,
I'm sure your stamina and persistance will pay off. It's a tremendous job to get anything done in the islands, and much more so in a reasonable amount of time. That's the price of living in paradise I suppose.

Morgan's Cloud
12-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Steve,
I'm sure your stamina and persistance will pay off. It's a tremendous job to get anything done in the islands, and much more so in a reasonable amount of time. That's the price of living in paradise I suppose.
SO true , not just in an acceptable time frame but a reasonable cost too !
Unfortunately we are no longer a 'paradise' ,, That's why I need to get the boats back on the water again so I can get away from this mayhem ...
It's been 2 years and 4 months so far without anything that floats.... I need my fix ! !
Steve

Islander
12-14-2005, 10:04 AM
SO true , not just in an acceptable time frame but a reasonable cost too !
Unfortunately we are no longer a 'paradise' ,, That's why I need to get the boats back on the water again so I can get away from this mayhem ...
It's been 2 years and 4 months so far without anything that floats.... I need my fix ! !
Steve

I hear ya brother. I've had spurts without a boat, and I felt something missing. Even if you don't use them half as much as you would like, they're pretty to look at, and it's nice knowing the escape route isn't far away.

JimG
12-15-2005, 06:55 AM
Wow! Great old pics! What a beautiful boat.

JimG