PDA

View Full Version : Motor mounts and more..

need for speed
12-12-2005, 06:28 PM
funny thing is... i just got home from Jupiter fl ,, i went looking at a 2004 22... with 11 hrs... hummm yeah right , going to get this one scanned....

but what i am getting at is the motor mounts on this 496 --the nylon nuts were over 2 inches from even being close to tight... not right i don't think.. ... so i dont know. kind of scared of this buy.... boat is like new, but block has a lot of rust on the bottom , and bottom pully is totally rusted paint is all gone and motor mounts are total rust,, not sure what i am going to do, super price but might have to get someone to go look at it for a second opinion and sales guy is a total ass xxx.... anyone in Jupiter wanna go have some fun and give her a lookover.....:bonk:

boat is on hold for today!

onesubdrvr
12-12-2005, 06:45 PM
funny thing is... i just got home from Jupiter fl ,, i went looking at a 2004 22... with 11 hrs... hummm yeah right , going to get this one scanned....
but what i am getting at is the motor mounts on this 496 --the nylon nuts were over 2 inches from even being close to tight... not right i don't think.. ... so i dont know. kind of scared of this buy.... boat is like new, but block has a lot of rust on the bottom , and bottom pully is totally rusted paint is all gone and motor mounts are total rust,, not sure what i am going to do, super price but might have to get someone to go look at it for a second opinion and sales guy is a total ass xxx.... anyone in Jupiter wanna go have some fun and give her a lookover.....:bonk:
boat is on hold for today!
Is this the one at Jupiter Yacht Sales on US Hwy 1 on the North end of Jupiter,....white with blue stripe (if I remember correctly)?

I'm in Melbourne all day tomorrow, but would be happy to take a second look at it for you Wednesday morning (baring something coming up with work) if you'd like.

Also, there was a 2004 anniv. edition with the 496 ho in Stuart, I think it's gone, but I'll check for 'ya tomorrow, it was priced pretty good to if I remember right.

Wayne

cigarette30
12-13-2005, 10:27 PM
"boat is like new, but block has a lot of rust on the bottom , and bottom pully is totally rusted paint is all gone and motor mounts are total rust"

Something is not right. Mine is a 04, with 50 hours, and yes used in the dreaded salt water. However, being flushed each time, regular CRC coverage, dry bilges, and lift kept, the block and everthing is still brand new. Yes, even the lifting ring mounts that seem to rust so quick are perfect.

Possibly a hose came off, or other means to get salt water on the block, and failure to clean at that time?

MOP
12-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Not to hurt anyone's feeling just in case this is a members boat but I would be pretty leery!
A lot of rust with super low hours is just not a good, what was the problem and has it been cured?
What ever the cause it was obviously not attended to properly, should have been hosed down with fresh water dried and WD40'ed. So many things can be damaged from a salt leak left unattended.

You are right to be concerned, the question is how much will go bad.

Besides the obvious was the oil pan, flywheel, coupler, and tin parts attached to the engine affected?
The mounts being as loose you describe is bad, it means it was run seriously out of alignment more then likely fatiguing the rubber in the coupling making for early failure. There is a good chance some poor soul will get stuck dumping some bucks into this one!!!

Phil

need for speed
12-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Yeah...Wayne is going to check it out again for me In the AM..:yes:

I know lot's about boats but when it s only got 11 hrs and its all rust something is up.. So i will see what he tells us... Well for a 3 hour drive it was not what i was hoping for.. The sale guy said it was new! Yeah boat looked good but nasty dirty. If i was a sales guy and had a guy driving 3 hours to come and see this boat would n't you wash it ,, or do somthing .. right!!!.. drive looks great but engine room ooo boy... everything was so good till i got in to the engine room and looked under block.. woww.... and the sales guy said what's the problem it's under warranty... i am thinking yeah right they don't cover water damaged stuff we all know that.. price is super but ---we will see---- i can sand and paint the rusted stuff but i want to make sure nothing big is up!.:propeller

RickSE
12-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Hurricane Survivor?? Who knows. It definitely sounds like someone left salt water sitting in the bilge and it rusted the bottom of the motor.

MOP
12-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Charlie the bugger might be having to pull the engine to do it right. It has always amused me how many salesman BS people, the guys that worked for me were told it should look better then your discription or you will loose your credibility and the possibility of showing other boats to them. IE: Tell The Friggen Truth!!!!

Phil

need for speed
12-14-2005, 10:33 AM
yeah .. !! truth is the best way to go... now i drove 3 hours and even had the funds in my truck,,, ,, :fire: so..... we will wait on the second look over in the AM !!! A big thanks to Wayne!!!!

cigarette30
12-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Hurricane Survivor?? Who knows. It definitely sounds like someone left salt water sitting in the bilge and it rusted the bottom of the motor.

Very good point Rick, no doubt there are some out there. What a shame to those unsuspecting buyers when they hit the maket. This is supposed to be a fun sport right ? LOL

need for speed
12-15-2005, 08:27 AM
BIG THANKS AGAIN TO WAYNE!!!he just got done looking the boat over!!

thank you!!!:)

joseph m. hahnl
12-15-2005, 04:22 PM
you know: a possibility could be some one swapped the engine and thats why the nuts were so far away or they were going to pull it. 2" wher you exagerating or wher they really that far away? the other possibility is the boat sunk. if it did water may have entered the block.Check the oil, peak inside the oil filler cap in the valve/rocker cover with a flash light , look for rust inside. Maybe even drain some oil out to check for water.

Pulling an engine is not that difficult it can be done in as little as 4 hrs.
rebuilding on the other hand consumes a lot of time and money.

There is a rule of thumb for when a boat sinks. leave it sunk until your ready to rebuild and dry the motors from the inside out. oxidation occurs slower in water then in air. I didn't make that up. i have seen plenty of old woody's sitting on the bottom waiting for months till the owner has funds before they raise them.

"gives poor bastard a whole new meaning

joe

RickSE
12-15-2005, 04:41 PM
The mounts issue could be the same as Bryan's ordeal. Hard to think they'd come loose though with only 11-hrs.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42879

onesubdrvr
12-15-2005, 05:10 PM
BIG THANKS AGAIN TO WAYNE!!!he just got done looking the boat over!!
thank you!!!:)
No problem! Anytime.

Wayne

MOP
12-15-2005, 06:52 PM
OK OK we got Thank You & No Problem! So what was the VERDICT???

need for speed
12-15-2005, 09:03 PM
well well...VERDICT... the 496 did get salt water on it somehow, it was never cleaned off and wd-40 as it should have…:kaioken: .. The motor mounts are in the same shape as the other most resent thread about them backing off or never getting tightened.. The mounts need some help.. the block needs to be cleaned up aswell pulleys cleaned up or replaced. ,, and a few fittings need tlc.. But with a little work and a little paint and a few new parts it should be ok.. and check out everything for leaks! ! This might have been caused by a hoses or something like that!! it never got submerged that’s for sure.
now I just have to make up my mind :confused:
Thought I had my boat sold to a nice home in Canada but buyer has vanished,:rolleyes: But a few people are stopping by this weekend to look her over...Its looking like I might have more then one Donzi very soon....:anchor:

Donzigo
12-16-2005, 04:06 AM
Need for Speed,

If it seems wrong, it probably IS wrong.

I once bought a Proline for my kid; and, I looked it over thoroughly. Except for a water line in the bilge, it looked good. The owner told me that it had been left out in the rain, etc. etc. He even said he was coming from Ft. Myers up to St. Pete on business; and, would drive it to my house. So, I met him for breakfast and he seemed OK. Then, he took the boat off the trailer and took me for a very short ride. Then he wanted me to put it back on the trailer, which seemed weird to me. So, he took his money and took off. I took it home, polished it, then took it off the trailer and put it on the davits behind my house. The first time my 12 yr old took it out, he came back after 1 hour of fishing and the thing was actually sinking, water coming up fast above the floor. It went back on the trailer to have my fiberglass guy take a look & $950 later, to rebuild the bottom. You see, the crack, which I couldn't see, was directly under the trailer bunks. I'm quite sure that the seller knew it. That'a why he wouldn't put the boat back on the trailer and also wanted to bring the boat to me the very next day, getting rid of it fast.

The bravado of the seller or of the saleman, in your case, can sometimes be a tip off. I experienced that just recently, myself. Seller wanted me to drive to Miami to buy a, according to him, "perfect" Hobie Cat and got mad when I asked for pictures. I finally got those pictures, after a month. What a freaking train-wreck of a boat.

You never loose on a deal you turn down.............

BUIZILLA
12-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Richard, a guy that works for me bought a slightly used 21 Mako OF that had the same kinda cracking at the strake joint on one side, right under the trailer bunk. His also almost sank the first day he used it, after a short sea trial... seller knew it too. He called Mako, and was told it *was common* on that specific model, due to someone on the mold line screwing up on quite a few boats, but they wouldn't do nuthin about it, since he wasn't the original owner. Cost my buddy some $$$ to get it fixed.

JH