PDA

View Full Version : Silent Choice...?

Dons_Donzi
12-11-2005, 09:26 AM
So, i dumped the Bayliner (slug that slept 6) for a beautiful Donzi 28ZX... best move of my life.
but i have a question... the "silent choice" is "in and out"... what if one wanted to take that out and just have thru hull..?
how does one cap off the lower unit baffles and such..?
any suggestions...?
thanks
Don... ( currently stuck in Iraq for the holidays...):uzi: :uzi:

MOP
12-11-2005, 10:18 AM
You can use the rubber plumbers pipe caps to close the Y pipe off, to do it like factory is a real job requiring removing the engine to install the block off plate. I recommend removing the exhaust bellows, cleaning and painting the hole in the transom shield then shooting foam into the hole. That will keep any corrosion to a minimum and also by removing the bellows relieve the suction behind the prop underway. Some feel there is a slight gain in performance relieving the suction, not sure if it helps or not.

Phil

Dons_Donzi
12-11-2005, 11:45 AM
the lower bellows seems easy enough, but for the whole Y pipe...? Just capping that off with a PVC type cover/clam... and i should be able to install a straight pipe section to the firewall?
she's got 350mags, they run sweet... she'll do 73mph in 3-4 foot swells, with a full tank and 6 adults ( plus 2 full icechest) thats not GPS, so it could be off by a few... its a hell of a ride.. "she leaps and lands smooth"
but still.... would i see much improvement from "performance" exhaust manifolds... or would i get into the whole backpressure/fuel management (EFI)issues... (back to my hot rod days...oh hell...)
and thanks for sharing your experiences...

no speed limit on the water... YET..!!!:fire:

Dons_Donzi
12-11-2005, 12:22 PM
yep... i got the thru hulls... sounds great, the solinoids for the "silent" (hub) part dont function propperly... (love that salt water)
why spend another $K on something i never use..
and loose the extra electronics, maybe boost a little more to the prop...?

we are down in Fort Walton Beach, Florida... nice bunch of powerboaters down there. looking to join the club this year.
:propeller "ass clowns" (what a name for a club)