PDA

View Full Version : Christmas errrr,,,,, Holiday Lights.

Jraysray
12-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Let’s see, this year I skipped the Halloween super scary haunted garage / make a fool out of me event and thought I got away with something.

Because of this I got absolutely shamed into hanging the Christmas lights and decorations. I swore to myself that this would not happen this year. I needed a break. Somehow the neighbors, wife and kids got me to do this.

I now realize the true meaning behind this. It was for their entertainment! For years I thought it was my masterful display of non matching lights blinking, not blinking, half on and half off display that wowed the neighborhood.

Truth to be told it is the absolute MISERY I endure that entertains so many. No kidding, I live on a cul-de-sac. I got the 4 totes of outdoor lights out and all the sudden people start showing up.

No crap. They were walking the dog, talking to others but mostly milling around for the show. As always I spent about 5 hours going through all of those lights, placing them where they need to be then trying to get them to light up.

Fail, Fail & Fail. What the H#LL is wrong with me? Nothing seems to work? Right now there are miles of wires laying on my lawn, a ladder thrown in the hedges and Vodka and Cranberry soaked cat walking around pissed off.

Thank gawd for the Jim Carey “Grinch” movie. It is a tradition for us once I calm down. Just gotta laugh at myself. Anyone else enjoy the same kind of torture?

Merry Christmas!!!!

Ed Donnelly
12-11-2005, 12:28 AM
I hung alll my lights under the eaves in 1994 when I moved in.200 various red, blue,green,purple,etc. They stay up year round. First snowfall,I plug in the timer and look at all the pretty lights. I noticed after the first winter, I had around 10 bulbs burnt out. No problem , next year I will replace them. The 2nd. year, another 10 or so. No problem. I will replace them before it gets cold next year. Have been saying this for 11 yrs. now. Thursday we had our first snowfall, and my 9 yr. old daughter(Shannon) says. Daddy, are we going to plug in the lights? Plugged in the timer and went out to see the pretty lights. What a vision. 12 lights working. I guess the first warm day this spring, I will be replacing 188 bulbs............Ed

Schnook
12-11-2005, 01:29 AM
I remember when I was young and we had to carry our christmas lights in the snow uphill to school both ways! And we were glad to do it! And they only cost a nickel!

harbormaster
12-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Ours cost .03, and you had to hand crank em in the snow.......
Oh wait, different kinda snow :eek: :eek: :eek:

I bet those were really bright!

Last year I hung lights and ended up falling from the 12 ft ladder.
Kim heard the thud all the way in the house. Luckily I was OK.

I had the neighbor kid finish it in exchange for me letting him jump off the house into the pool.

Schnook
12-11-2005, 08:22 AM
I discovered (o.k., I was told about) this pole that telescopes and allows you to attach clips for lights to your gutters or under your shingles without having to leave the ground, Got one at target,20 bucks, pretty neat. Takes a lot of the adventure away, though.

gcarter
12-11-2005, 08:22 AM
If I remember correctly, Wayne, onesubdrvr, keeps his up year round.:biggrin: