PDA

View Full Version : Ooops!

harbormaster
12-10-2005, 04:06 PM
I received this from a boater in Sarasota, Keith Willis, Skipper of "All In A Dream". One of our owner's rally attendee's was reminded on how careful you have to be when boating in unfamiliar waters. The email reads as follows:

Took these photos of one of your compatriots on a recent run in Sarasota,FL. Just goes to show you should proceed with caution if unfamiliar with local waters.............. Yeah Hea??

I offered to take passengers to the Hyatt but the skipper insisted on staying. Heard the tide came in about 5-6 hours later and all was well. Glad to hear there was no damage.

Mercrewser
12-10-2005, 04:37 PM
My wife and I were walking our dog on a shoal that extends very far out into the Delaware River. Local mariners will recognize this as being right outside the Rancocas Creek, a popular swimming beach for boaters. Anyhow, we're out there, almost to the channel with water at our ankles when this Wellcraft Excalibur comes flying buy, the captain lookin at us in a amusment. That look was still on his face when they hit, about 50- 100 feet away from us!. Moral of the story: Unless you see a halo over their heads, people walking where you are driving is a real bad sign!

mrfixxall
12-10-2005, 05:25 PM
scot,,i would enter those pics in doncig's photo contest......

Donzigo
12-12-2005, 10:05 AM
It's a beautiful thing so see a guy drag his boat all the way to Sarasota Florida to attend a Donzi event. And, dragging a big one is not easy. I've been boating in these waters for many years and I know how fast shoals change from month ot month. I wish I had been able to help him with directions. I know how the guy must have felt and it's a shame to see this sort of thing happen. My guess is he won't come back to Sarasota anytime soon with his boat. I don't find it funny, I feel for the guy.

Kirk
12-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Amen Brother....we have all been there once...(but maybe not on the beach) but needed a hand with something.

Always willing to help!!

KJ

Rootsy
12-12-2005, 10:41 AM
it's definitely a sickening feeling when you go from about 60 to ZERO in 2 seconds... with an irreplacable sterndrive hanging off the back and a brand spankin new prop to go along with it... definitely no laughing matter... and on the great lakes... there really isn't any TIDE to wait to come in.. thank god it was soft muck and nothing got destroyed... :rolleyes:

Ranman
12-12-2005, 11:49 PM
I had heard that during the 05 Owners Rally some folks went for an evening run and beached the boat but we're able to get is unstuck several hours later. I think it was the same night of the gasoline incident. Is this them?

harbormaster
12-13-2005, 04:14 AM
Yep that's the boat!

I am surprised you remember anything from that evening.....

Footloose
12-13-2005, 07:06 AM
On a lighter note - I like that you can clearly see the chart/gps lit up on the dash .... maybe this poor dude had decided to watch a DVD instead of looking to see where he was? Ouch - that had to have left a mark

roadtrip se
12-13-2005, 12:38 PM
a few years ago in Sota as passengers.
After several hours of trying to get floated, Jill mangling her leg on the drive skeg, and the driver's wife going under and nearly drowning in a rip tide, we got the boat floated.
Jill still has the scar.
Something I don't care to repeat any time soon.

Tim Morris
12-13-2005, 01:20 PM
I am surprised you remember anything from that evening.....

What event was this? 1K Isles? Mighta been me! Bad case of CRS.

Digger
12-13-2005, 05:11 PM
I came within seconds of doing the exact same thing in 'sota 2 years ago.

..there but for the grace of god go I...