PDA

View Full Version : Drive UP or Down!

MOP
12-06-2005, 01:23 PM
In one of several phone conversations over the past few days I was reminded of something that has always amused me.

I can nor understand for the life of me why some people leave their drives in the UP position while not in use.

I have worked on this stuff most of my life and have seen bellows damaged from doing just that. If left up too long the rubber can take a set and in some cases sticks to its self, that can cause it to tear or in some cases come in contact with the U joints. Either way the U joint and gimble bearing can be junk and costly if not caught in time! We see it all the time at out docks in 9 feet of water, a guy gets done using his boat and trims the drive full up Duuuh! Up on the St Lawrence they have Musk Rats that have been know to gnaw on the bellows if the drives are left up. I trailer the only time my drive is up is when towing, I learned my lessons from others!

Phil

Schnook
12-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks, advice like that is the kind newbies like me need. How difficult is it to just take the drive off? A couple of different people have told me it's just 4 bolts, but there's got to be more to it. Also, how much does a drive weigh? Does it have to be stored upright? Any pitfalls to taking it off? Is this just not a good idea, I live in Dallas so we won't have brutal winter weather for any extended period.

Sam
12-06-2005, 02:46 PM
If your talking about an Alpha that's about it except for the pin that goes through the drive that holds the rams in place. I assume it's basicly the same for a Bravo. One more thing, you need to put the drive in forward before you take the drive off and leave it there while re-mounting it. It helps if you have two guys to lift the drive back in place. Once in a while the drive shaft dosen't want to line up :banghead: .

Carl C
12-06-2005, 03:15 PM
I've always lowered the drive to let the water drain - didn't know about the bellows problem.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Down for extended periods/lay-up. Up, during the season if you trailer, why, pain to raise and remember to raise before traveling to a ramp, and sked repairs are not cheap.

Dry storage, mine are always down.
Bryan

DON N.
12-06-2005, 04:28 PM
When I Bought My Red 22' The Outdrive Was Left Up And One Trim Cylinder Had Seized .

MOP
12-06-2005, 04:30 PM
There is not much to removing/changing a drive be it an Alpha?Bravo. Anyone that has met me knows I am 6' 1" 160 pounds IE: not much ass!!! I still do my own drive's by hand, I lower the front of the trailer down and drop the drive full down and put a hunk of 2X6 under it then slowly raise the tongue up until it just touches the skeg. I pull both ram pins pull the rams aside wrap a rag around them and tie them off to the ski eyes it helps to Protect the hoses and fitting, I then remove the 6 main affixing nuts & washers. Usually a couple of good tugs gets it moving, on the chance it is stuck I get a piece of pine 2X2 and tip the drive up a little and put it between the transom plate and the drive. It must be ties or taped in place, once secure I lift the drive 8-10" and drop it down that usually breaks the tough ones loose. The tough part for this old bugger is waddling them into the garage, I lay mine on carpet brush grease on the entire input shaft assy and cover it. I did put the X on by myself but come spring I will commandeer some young muscle!!!!

Phil
Phil

DON N.
12-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Last Time With A Board Under The Skeg I Used A Hand Truck And A Strap.

tmdog
12-06-2005, 06:10 PM
I remove drive the same as MOP but I use a furniture mover (a platform on 4 swivel wheels) which are low to the ground. I put roller under od and make a few uprights from 1x2's and place under cavitation plates , both sides. Screw to mover and when od is unbolted, roll complete od away. Simple, and easy. Push od in corner and when ready to install, roll it to transom and everything lines up. Next uninstall, which I hope is not soon, will take pics and post.

mrfixxall
12-06-2005, 06:38 PM
I use my drive jack,,,,,,,,you guys failed to mention that you have to put the shifter in forward gear first.......

Mr X
12-06-2005, 07:12 PM
I use my drive jack,,,,,,,,you guys failed to mention that you have to put the shifter in forward gear first.......

I removed and replaced 2 Bravo X drives AND 2 Bravo XR drives last week, I did not have to put the shifter in forward gear.
In fact I was trained at Mercury Service school in Orlando
NOT to shift ANY Mercury drive unless the engine is running.
Where did you get THAT info??

gcarter
12-06-2005, 07:53 PM
On an Alpha, if you don't put it in forward, there's definately a chance of damage to the shift linkage.

MOP
12-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Mr. F & Mr. X Sam mentioned the shifter which is essential to do with an Alpha hopes that blows the smoke away.
On a Bravo it is important to leave it in neutral to insure free travel of the shift cable if in gear it will not move the cable will fold and get kinked then its junk. He takes the cable off at the shift converter just to be certain.

Phil

Mr X
12-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Ahhhhh.
Got ya. I did no go to the Alpha school....

mrfixxall
12-06-2005, 08:06 PM
thanx mop,,mrx i was referring to a alpha drive NOT the little cable with the ball on the end as the bravo and the xr drive have................what do the ssm#3,4,5, 6 have?lol p.s. and whan you go to merc school dont thay teach you about all the drives?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Mr X
Did you see my post about drives?
Bryan

Mr X
12-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Mr X
Did you see my post about drives?
Bryan
Bryan, I don't think I saw it.
Post a link to it if you can..

Mr X
12-06-2005, 09:07 PM
thanx mop,,mrx i was referring to a alpha drive NOT the little cable with the ball on the end as the bravo and the xr drive have................what do the ssm#3,4,5, 6 have?lol p.s. and whan you go to merc school dont thay teach you about all the drives?

Nope, there are SEVERAL classes and certifactions.
Some of my friends have over 50 different certifactions from Mercury in many different areas.

Outboards, Inboards, drives, engines ect.

need for speed
12-06-2005, 09:31 PM
I put my drive down after ever time out... and to remember i tie a short red line to my trailer tongue that way i will no pull her away with the drive down.. It works great! :fire:

need for speed
12-06-2005, 10:06 PM
yeah ,,, some bad news when u drive away with the drive still down... :o ... knock on wood!!!:smash:

RickSE
12-07-2005, 10:50 AM
I used to tie the trim cylinder lock/block onto the trailer jack handle to remind myself to put the drive back up and locks in place before hooking to the truck.

tmdog
12-07-2005, 05:25 PM
After taking a leak, do you use a sharpie or a red line to remind you to zip up? What is this world coming to? Maybe I have more time to remember simple details since I retired.:cistineb: :cistineb:

gold-n-rod
12-07-2005, 06:49 PM
After taking a leak, do you use a sharpie or a red line to remind you to zip up?
I use one of those thick lined black markers....... and I write in real big capital letters. Why not, I've got the space, hell, I have a Donzi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ZIP UP, DOOFUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AC18Classic
12-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Drive down when not in use.
Drive up for speed.

DickB
12-08-2005, 08:08 PM
It's on a freshwater lake, but I don't like the idea of keeping it in the water all the time. I'd have to raise the canopy pretty high to clear the water with the outdrive lowered. My previous boat was at a marina and in the water all season. The hull and outdrive got pretty gunked up by the end of the season.

Mr X
12-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Drive down when not in use.
Drive up for speed.
Would that be when in the water or on the trailer......now I am totally confused....:boggled:

Magicallbill
12-09-2005, 01:58 AM
MOP....

I also lower my drive when not in use..
Question...How long is too long to leave it in the "up" position?
Sometimes during the season, I don't use the boat for a month or so at a time. Is that too long to leave the drive up?

MB

MOP
12-09-2005, 08:58 AM
How long is a good question, my personal feeling is if there is no need for it to be up leave it down. All of the bellows that I have seen get screwed up were over the winter lay up period and on the rack boats that were infrequently used. I also feel another consideration is the age of the bellows, my opinion whether or not the boat is used a lot it should be changed every 3 years max sooner in high use. My clients that used there boats a lot I always recommended every 2 years. The best advice is to check it fairly frequently, with the drive up in good light push & pull on it there should be -0- cracking and no sticky feel to of the rubber.

Phil

Magicallbill
12-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks.
I always kinda wondered about that...
Also, my service manager that I bought my Scorpion 18 from told me that when I drop the drive, don't lower it all the way. He said put it,say,3/4 down,to where there's still a bit of an "upward" angle to the drive. He said it's better on the bellows than completely lowered.
When my Ski Sporter gets done(eventually) do I leave the Volvo 250 down too? I guess they are either up or down,as mine has no trim.

Mr X
12-10-2005, 07:30 AM
OH! That explains a few things!........:bonk: