PDA

View Full Version : Fixin my leak ...........

Hotspare
12-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Finally got around to fixing my leak .......... Found the four lower transom assy studs badly corroded ............ Check it out ......

Donzigo
12-03-2005, 02:19 AM
Been there done that..................looks like you found the source and did fix it the right way.

Nice work.

Richard

BUIZILLA
12-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Richard, was that the source of your mysterious leak you previously posted about?

JH

mrfixxall
12-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Finally got around to fixing my leak .......... Found the four lower transom assy studs badly corroded ............ Check it out ......

yuk! i have seen this ...try www.arp-bolts.com....thay make replacements in harden stainless...i have rreplaced them with the stainless head studs...

Hotspare
12-04-2005, 02:21 AM
yuk! i have seen this ...try www.arp-bolts.com....thay make replacements in harden stainless...i have rreplaced them with the stainless head studs...
Unable to open that link, but will be going back with similar hardware ..... Thank's for the tip ..........

Trueser
12-04-2005, 08:25 AM
http://arp-bolts.com

Was your transom soft around those bolts? If it was leaking I'm sure its into the wood. Thats the problem I had on my 22.

something to look into....

Hotspare
12-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Trueser .........

All Good Wood Brother ........ Just a little rust staining in the cutout ........... Cleaned up nice .......

More pics coming as things progress ..........

Donzigo
12-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Buizilla,

Yes, that was the source of the leak. I didn't take the engines out, I just replaced the bolts and sealed around the outdrive with 5200. It looks sort of goofy with a tiny white seal around it; but, it works until there is a reason to take the engines out.

Richard

Hotspare
12-15-2005, 03:50 PM
I should have taken some pics before ....... but, anyway heres a few shots of the engine compartment as it looks now .........

I'm installing diamond plate later ........ pics to follow ..........LOL....

RedDog
12-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Nice and pretty - but it looks like you lost an engine :biggrin:

Hotspare
12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Yea, the engine is laying around here somewhere ??????? This is the last I saw of her ................

Pismo
12-16-2005, 08:41 AM
While you are there, take off the drain plug assembly and reseal it. Mine leaked and two of the three screws were stripped.

MOP
12-16-2005, 08:54 AM
While you are there, take off the drain plug assembly and reseal it. Mine leaked and two of the three screws were stripped.

Great tip, I though bolted mine with 5200.

Phil

RickSE
12-16-2005, 11:35 AM
What did you coat the bilge with?

Hotspare
12-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Pismo .........

Yea, I'm pickin up what your layin down,Brother ........ As a matter of fact I've already got one .... But, am having a little problem ..... If you look close at the pics's I believe you'll see the screws have already been removed to facilitate removal ......... Point Being ,,, The thing won't budge .......... LOL.... I'm just affraid I'll whale on the thing, and tear up the hole ............ It's never leaked to my knowledge, but as you suggested, why not install a new one while your there ......... Any thoughts on getting the thing out peacefully ???????????

RickSE .....

I used Interlux Bildgekote Quick Dry Enamel, and thinned it with Interlux 333 Solvent, Brushing Liquid ....... Very easy to apply ,,,,,,,,, Brushed on, and dried out within 24 hrs..... I'd say I'm pleased with the product at this point ........ More pic's coming as things progress ,,,,,,,,, Thank's guy's .................

MOP
12-16-2005, 04:49 PM
If the fitting looks like it is in good shape just put new screws and sealer in, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Phil

Hotspare
12-16-2005, 09:07 PM
MOP ..........

It look's ok, just thought a new one would look better .....

Thank's for the advise .........

Pismo
12-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Yes, a tiny bead of clear silicone sealer around the edge will seal it up just fine and you will never see it. Somebody probably 5200ed the plug assembly to the gelcoat and now it won't budge without damage. Everyone swears by 5200 and it is great stuff but it is pretty much unremovable, once you use it, it's there for good. Silicone sealer seals just as well and is easily removable, so sometimes in certain applications it is better.

MOP
12-17-2005, 04:24 PM
MOP ..........
It look's ok, just thought a new one would look better .....
Thank's for the advise .........

You could always buff it up and clear coat it for effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

farmer tx
12-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Bruce PM your mailing address to me. I found something you need.

Mark

MOP
12-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Mark you going to send some water proof cotten to plug that sucker:biggrin.:

Hotspare
01-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, progressing right along like a herd of turtles ..... I've managed to get the new exhaust tips on ,,, and some diamond plate installed ...... Here's a few more pics of how things look at this point .......

boldts
01-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Bruce, she's looking great! Question though about the use of the diamond plate. In my 1998 22, I had access holes that had a screw type cover in the floor on the sides of the engine. Did your boat have those and if so, is it OK to cover them up? I'm assuming they are there for some reason? Anyone?

Hotspare
01-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Scott ..........

Good question, I knew the trained eye would catch this pretty quick .......... The holes are for access to the fwd engine mount bolts ........... And since I'm only in there once in a blue moon I didn't think it necessary to cut the holes ......... The diamond plate is only velcrow'd in anyway, so access is pretty easy ......... I also thought it would look a lot cleaner and be a little less cumbersom to install without them ......

Bruce ...

Hotspare
02-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Well, my project is moving forward again, and starting to take shape ...... I've got a few more updates along with pic's to share ..... Barring any unforseen derailments we should be able to wrap this thing up, by first of next week .......... The transom assy is installed, torqued up nice, and tight, and sealed in with 5200 ......... The engine went in and out full dress, no dissassembly required ...... That's pretty much where things stand for now ............. We'll align the engine, and install the drive tomorrow sometime ............. And, as said, hopeing to have the details wrapped, and back in the water by next week ........... LEAK FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin.:

Donzigo
02-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Very nice work Hotspare.

I like everything you have done, except for the starboard side battery being put back beside the exhaust manifold. How will you check the battery's water?

Are you working inside a large building with other boats? I caught a glimpse of a boat in the background.

Diamond plate velcroed down?........not good. My guess is that the first time you hit a wake and the diamond plate comes up off those stringers, with the battery and trim pump leaking acid & oil from the jarring, you'll will screw those down.

Richard

Hotspare
02-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Donzigo ............

Thank's ,,,, She really cleaned up nice, everybody that see's it starts hittin on it .......... I probably could have sold the thing a half dozen times by now ....... Seem's like everybody's got a story about one that they saw or knew of years ago that was all that ....... This thing's a frikkin boat show about anywhere I go ............ LOL.....

I was a little concerned about the length of the exhaust tips though, thought they might look a little redneck, you know ....... But I think once the drive is installed it may even things out a bit .....

And yes, your absolutely right about the diamond plate, I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking that everything is velcrowed down, and secured in that fashon ....... The diamond plate is mearly heald in place with the velcrow ...... The battery boxes and trim pump have been through bolted through the diamond plate and into there origional positions through the floor as well ........ Just hoping the velcrow will keep the diamond plate from rattleing to much while under way ............. I'll take it easy at first though, and make sure things are going to hold up this way .........

As far as the battery location goes, I've never had a problem accessing it before, and it does ballance things out nicely ........

And, Hopefully, I'll be reporting back with a few pic's of the finished product within the next week or so .........

RedDog
02-09-2006, 09:41 PM
looks great and Donzigo and Scott beat me to my questions - and your answers. If the Velcro doesn't hold up it should be easy to just squirt a little non-permanent adhesive under the plating.

Were your old tips the baffled Corsa can tips? I keep thinking I should add some like you have done. Who made yours and what are the lenghts? Did you have to drill new holes for the mounting bolts? Internal flaps?

farmer tx
02-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Bruce, or anyone else, I am about ready to reinstall my transom assembly. I noticed you used 5200 to seal your transom. Is that whats recomended or will 4200 work also? I don't want to use a crow bar to remove it if there is a next time.

Thanks,
Mark

Dr. Dan
02-10-2006, 05:52 AM
:spongebob Wow...I just love a clean white bilge? Isn't that what she said?

Looks terrific, a friend has those same tips installed, and yes ...even though they are longer, once the Drive is back on there...they appear less predominant. I think they look great...someday I hope to do some serious work to my little toy....

But for now I'll just have to remain happy with the little 454 in it. :p

Again Looks Good...

Safe Boating

Doc :beer:

MOP
02-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Bruce, or anyone else, I am about ready to reinstall my transom assembly. I noticed you used 5200 to seal your transom. Is that whats recomended or will 4200 work also? I don't want to use a crow bar to remove it if there is a next time.
Thanks,
Mark

Mark I would go with 4200 5200 can pull the gel coat of whenyou try to remove it, once it is all bolted up is to run a neat small bead of black Silicone around the outside. This is important if you do any salt water running, the water gets in and can rot the egde of the housing.

Phil

Hotspare
02-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Mark ,,,,, The 5200 was recommended by most everybody around here, but it was my choice to use it ........ I think if it had been sealed this way to begin with, I wouldn't be doing this at all ........... That's what the guy's here are telling me anyway .....

roadtrip se
02-10-2006, 08:37 AM
Looking good! I like the tips by the way, but I'm a bit of a red neck so take it for what its worth!

Start making plans to break her in up at AOTH this year. You are a little over due.

Mark, there is a spray from the same folks that make 5200, that breaks it down enough to get it off. I've used it and it works. Not something you want to do every day, but I hope that isn't your plan! Use the good stuff.

Hotspare
02-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Todd ,,,,,,,,,

Your right brother, Friends don't let friends use 4200 on a transom assy's ............ LOL...

Whooooo !!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the tip on the release agent, Thought I was getting backed into a corner on that one ......... Think we've got the technology to work with that stuff now .......... I'm more concerned about how it holds when I need it anyway, than when I don't .....

And Yes ,,,,,,, AOTH would be a great place to dial this puppy back in ............ :biggrin.:

Hotspare
02-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Dr. Dan ...........

Thank's ........ A clean bildge is one of my pet peeve's too ............... It's one of those lurking thoughts that seems to follow me everywhere ............ I know, my wife looks at me sometimes and asks why I'm in such deep thought ............ Heaven only knows what (she's) thinking ............ But it was usually that once dirty bildge .......LOL.....

By the way, DOC !!!!!!!!! Any known cures for this kinda thing ???????? :crossfing

Hotspare
02-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Red Dog ................ Thank's ......... I got the tips from Rex Marine, I'm using the, SST 152F, 4" XL's With Superflappers ...... The overall length is (15") and the out of boat length is (10.375") ...... A big change in apperance from the Lavorsi 2" shorty's I had on there ......... And yes, I had the Corsa Baffled can's on there at one time also ......... They just didn't have the rumble I was lookin for .......... All three set's bolted up the same way too ........... No new holes to drill :biggrin.: Rex did send me the wrong hole pattern the first time though, I just sent them back UPS with no charge to me .........