PDA

View Full Version : OUCH! a boat race from the 1960's

LKSD
12-02-2005, 11:58 PM
These are pictures my father was showing me from a boat race he was shooting at a base in Hawaii in the 1960's. Evidently the driver got knocked out of his boat & the boat ran into the crowd. A lady got hurt pretty bad when the boat landed / ran onto her.. Jamie

LKSD
12-03-2005, 08:14 AM
My father told me from what he remembers, the boat that lost the driver was trying to cut inside of the boat in front of him. He slid into him and was thrown. That is what he remembers happening. Further, he thought the boat that lost the driver is actually the one just coming to the boat in the air. Supposedly what appears to be the blue streak on the side of the boat approaching is the one that lost it. (It seems to make sense anyway from what he remembers.) The boat that lost it, flipped. The blue steaked boat cut inside and the driver flipped out when he hit the other boat. Obviously, the throttle stuck open. Good thing for kill switches now!! Jamie :)

Cuda
12-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Wow!:eek:

LKSD
12-03-2005, 06:27 PM
If anyones interested my dad is loading to the computer some old pics of other vintage boats & tunnels from back in the day. I will post them if there is an interest in seeing them.. Thanks.. Jamie

JPR
12-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Incredible pictures. The image of the guy dragging his kids out of the way as the boat is just reaching the beach put a very human perspective on how frightening that must have been. Unbelievable photo, thanks for sharing.

Cuda
12-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Let see 'em. I take it you got the boating bug from your dad. :)

LKSD
12-03-2005, 07:58 PM
I guess you could say that, lol.. I grew up boating a lot with my dad & uncle (crazy Navy guys.. lol). I also spent my earlier years watching Miami Vice on friday nights & listening to my dad about his days in Annapolis running Pt boats in the navy and stories of he and his friends with their speed boats and navy days in the 60's & early 70's. In regards to the pics My dad is scanning them in from slides, so it will take a few days. I will post em as soon as he has them loaded. Jamie :)

Let see 'em. I take it you got the boating bug from your dad. :)

Cuda
12-03-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm a Navy brat too. I was born in Subic Bay, Phillipines. We never lived anywhere more than three years until dad retired. Right now, is the farthest I've ever lived from the ocean. 25 miles. :)

LKSD
12-03-2005, 09:24 PM
No, I hope I didn't mislead you or anyone else! Im not a Navy brat, my dad & uncle were Navy guys when they were young. I just grew up with the influence of boating & the military. My dad went to Annapolis before going for his Masters. He was out of the military when he got married & had me and my sister. My family is all military except for me. I considered it a lot, but didn't go in. I went to college and didn't want to have to move around like they did when doing it. Also I always wanted to have my own business and be situated in one area, especially if & when I start a family. My sister just got out but her hubby is still in (actually they are based in Hawaii). My mom works at the Tobyhanna Army Depot in PA, and my uncle was there as well after he left the Navy untill he passed on 2 years ago.. Eventhough I didn't go in the service but almost did (Coast guard), I have a great deal of respect for everyone that is or was in in any way. I don't want to detract from those that were in, it wouldn't be right or fair. Sorry to be long winded, but I was raised honest & want to keep the record straight. It just happened to be some of the influence I grew up with.. Jamie :)

I'm a Navy brat too. I was born in Subic Bay, Phillipines. We never lived anywhere more than three years until dad retired. Right now, is the farthest I've ever lived from the ocean. 25 miles. :)

Sam
12-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Bring on the pics Jamie !

THX
Sam