PDA

View Full Version : Mowing flippin' grass and slinging oil

Jraysray
12-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Well,,,, I was mowing the grass and pi$$ed off about it. It is December right?! Anyhow, my mind wondered off to the Donzi and how I should go crank her up.

I did go let her run for about 10 minutes and then popped the hatch. Oil was slung on the bottom of the bilge hatch. I touched the pulleys on the crank and re-circ pump and they had oil on them. No oil anywhere else. Where should I start looking?

gcarter
12-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Front crank seal? :wrench:

Jraysray
12-02-2005, 07:39 PM
I was guessing that, but I can't really tell though, Hoping for something else.:confused:

gcarter
12-02-2005, 08:53 PM
It's actually one of the easiest things to fix. And cheap too.
Just remove all the belts, unbolt the balancer (one bolt in the middle), and use a puller to remove it. It might even come off by pulling by hand. Pop out the old seal. When installing the new seal, use some sealer on the outside edge and grease the seal lip(s). It's really a good idea to use a seal driver to install the new seal, but I've used a large socket in a pinch.

Ed Donnelly
12-02-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm biting my tongue really hard........Ed

gcarter
12-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Come on Ed, speak up.

gcarter
12-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Scott;
What am I missing?:lookaroun

BUIZILLA
12-03-2005, 08:08 AM
since the power steering pump is HIGHER mounted than the crank seal, i'd go there first.... it's pretty hard to get oil on the HATCH cover from the crank seal area

PS- what's a bilge hatch? is that an oxymoron?

JH

joseph m. hahnl
12-03-2005, 09:32 AM
since the power steering pump is HIGHER mounted than the crank seal, i'd go there first.... it's pretty hard to get oil on the HATCH cover from the crank seal area
PS- what's a bilge hatch? is that an oxymoron?
JH

You need to identify what type of oil it is first. then clean everthing off and use the mirror like poodle said and find the drip>
If it is the Power steering it should be light and clear Somtimes red if you use ATF.
If it's Thick Brown and dirty well then what George saidis a good place to
inspect closely

joe

Ed Donnelly
12-03-2005, 12:34 PM
OK guys; I know Mr. George is old like me,but, really,grease on the lips???
Hell, KY has been around for a long time and doesn't make a mess. Even Vasoline would be better. Your wife and or girlfriend will thank you.....Ed

Jraysray
12-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Damn, teach me to drink and post! Anyhow, there is no drip that I can find unless it only leaks while running. Is this possible? There are just dark oil splats on the bottom of the hatch.

joseph m. hahnl
12-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Damn, teach me to drink and post! Anyhow, there is no drip that I can find unless it only leaks while running. Is this possible? There are just dark oil splats on the bottom of the hatch.

Yes it may leak only when it's running.How much oil are you talking is splattered? you may have picked up oil on the belts . do you have a satelite oil filter? mine is prety close to being over the V belts. you most likley need to run it to determine where it comes from.

joe

gcarter
12-03-2005, 05:16 PM
OK guys; I know Mr. George is old like me,but, really,grease on the lips???
Hell, KY has been around for a long time and doesn't make a mess. Even Vasoline would be better. Your wife and or girlfriend will thank you.....Ed
Yep Ed, you're right!!:propeller
So, KY on the lips, but what do I use for a sealer?:confused:

joseph m. hahnl
12-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Yep Ed, you're right!!:propeller
So, KY on the lips, but what do I use for a sealer?:confused:

A KISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Jraysray
12-03-2005, 06:48 PM
oh man........:puke: It's going to ba a long winter.