PDA

View Full Version : Check out my lil project.....

ChromeGorilla
12-02-2005, 03:12 PM
I made this in school over the past couple weeks. The die started as a 75mm cubic block cut from a piece of long squre stock. The cube is now 50x50x50. Each side is exactly flat, parallel to the opposite side and perpendicular to adjacent sides within 1/1000 of a mm. No biggie but this was all done by hand using hand files, no cnc machines..... a lot of damn filing I tell ya. I also filed a chamfer on each edge that again is identical to within 1/1000 of a mm.
Each dot is drilled the same depth and positions are exact per a print. I drilled a hole into one of the corners then tapped it. Drilled a hole in the cone and counterbored it for a bolt. Bolt runs through base then through a hole I drilled in the cone and threads into the die from the bottom. The pen holder just sticky taped on as well as name plate.

Pic quality is low cuz I took it with my phone.....

http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/data/500/2445mobmain.jpg

ChromeGorilla
12-02-2005, 03:51 PM
LOL...that's funny!:biggrin: See ya in Feb....

onesubdrvr
12-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Scott,...

That's pretty cool,

Question though, what was the purpose of the exercise? To see if you could read precision measuring tools? Did you have to do it, or were you goofing off? ;)

Wayne

txtaz
12-02-2005, 04:15 PM
School??? I thought you got a job....
Da Taz<<<---Still thinking about getting a JOB

DonziJon
12-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Was this a Navy school? ...Maybe MT "C" school? Was this an excercise to learn how to make a mechanical "Part" from scratch without the benefit of a machine shop?? Do Boomers have a machine shop? MRs? As and Old Navy guy with Navy machine shop experience, I'm always curious how things are done 37 years after I got out. :bonk: DJ

EDIT: YES: We had Boomers back then!

ChromeGorilla
12-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Actually, I seperated from the Navy in Oct/ I now work for Michelin. I collect full time pay from Michelin and they are sending my to school on their dime as well right now. My prof. right now is a good ole southern boy who when he talks it is a cross between Colonel Sanders, Fog Horn Leg Horn and Sean Connery....... all rolled into one...... it's too damn funny. But this is his excercise in tolerances..... I'm gettin paid..... don't matter to me....:biggrin:

DonziJon
12-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Can you believe it?? I work for Michelin!!

gold-n-rod
12-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Certainly no disrespect to the creator, but.....

Is it necessary in this day for someone to hand file a cube from 75 mm stock down to a 50mm finished product to appreciate what a CNC mill can do?

Or walk 100 miles to appreciate the automobile?

Or whittle a stick to understand how a toothpick is made?

Or add up a gazillion numbers on paper to appreciate a calculator?

I don't get it. Education is always good.... or is it???????????

BERTRAM BOY
12-02-2005, 08:22 PM
So how does one "file" a 2" block to within .000039 (39 millionths) of an inch?

I know it's not by feel or by eye.........

ChromeGorilla
12-02-2005, 09:14 PM
With skilled hands.....:biggrin.: With a metric ass load of filing and even more measuring.....

Gold-n-rod.....I asked that question everyday when my hands and arms were tired as ****.........:rolleyes: :yes: :yes:

ChromeGorilla
12-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Started out with a German Bastard...... then proceeded with finer cuts of files....

DonziJon
12-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Some of you people just don't have enough "TRUST". :lookaroun

ChromeGorilla
12-02-2005, 09:20 PM
DJ, what do you do for Michelin?.... and where?

ChromeGorilla
12-02-2005, 09:25 PM
All measurements are done on a calibrated piece of pink granite that is perfectly flat and level. This is our reference. We would have to wipe clean the surface before measuring because specs of aluminum dust or any grit under the block, or measuring devices would throw your readings way out of whack.

Ed Donnelly
12-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Oustanding job. Make another one in your spare time and send it to me.
I will then send you the dimension changes when subjected to -65F ...Ed

ChromeGorilla
12-02-2005, 11:24 PM
LOL...I don't know aluminum...... but I actually know the expansion quotient for different grades of steel with realtion to temp......sad I know :rolleyes:

joseph m. hahnl
12-03-2005, 09:18 AM

YOU DON"T: IT IS Impossible. Not to mention a hieght gage and indicator can't measure those tolerance. Nor that the surface finished required to achieve such a high standard could never be done with a file.
You would not even be able to do that on a CNC. That would need to be ground. Aluiminum is very difficult to grind and most people don't know how to grind it because it gaulls on the grinding wheel and the wheel explodes.

Now that we got that straight.

I believe chrome ment .100 of a MM which would be roughly .0039 inches

Which is nothing to sneeze at cause that pretty Fn tight tolerance for hand work" Great Job Chrome"

My Father, back in the old country, had to file a block the same way to get his machinist certificate.

Chrome that makes great practice for polishing the ports:wink:

I feel sorry for you if you are choosing to become a machinist>
Only because you carry the weight of the world on your shoulders.
Like when you scrap a piece of $100 or $10,000 piece of mateiral because
1 out of a 100 features was out by 1/3 of the size of your hair.

You know what they'll say! "DIDN"T YOU SEE THAT"

well good luck in your training

joe

olredalert
12-03-2005, 10:24 AM
-------I dont understand all the fine points of all this, but know for sure that I wouldnt want to drop it on mt toe!!!!!........Bill S

mattyboy
12-03-2005, 10:54 AM
so thats what happens to your life when ya move to the land of "3 month boating season"... :D :D :D
yes there would be 2 if he still lived in pair a dice :p
rimshot

ChromeGorilla
12-03-2005, 05:10 PM
yes there would be 2 if he still lived in pair a dice :p
rimshot

Matty....that was good......:rlol:

Rootsy
12-04-2005, 08:56 AM

or wire machine....

JR - steady weather please