PDA

View Full Version : Gaffrig Flame Arrestors

Cuda
12-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm looking for two.

onesubdrvr
12-01-2005, 07:31 PM
It's about time you replaced those crappy K&N's :biggrin:

Did you ever get the carb problem worked out?

Wayne

Cuda
12-01-2005, 07:52 PM
I changed the powervalves on both ends today. The first time I fired it up, it wasn't running right, acted like it was too rich, so the only thing I could think of that I had done was possibly not had the gaskets seated properly on the pv's. I took them both off again, but didn't see anything wrong, so I put it back together again. Started it back up, and it ran fine. I won't know until I smoke test it on the water if the coil wire fixed the backfiring problem, but confidence is high. I hope to take it to Lake Monroe tomorrow for the smoke test.

Yep, I've hated those K&N's since I bought the boat.

onesubdrvr
12-01-2005, 08:10 PM
I changed the powervalves on both ends today. The first time I fired it up, it wasn't running right, acted like it was too rich, so the only thing I could think of that I had done was possibly not had the gaskets seated properly on the pv's. I took them both off again, but didn't see anything wrong, so I put it back together again. Started it back up, and it ran fine. I won't know until I smoke test it on the water if the coil wire fixed the backfiring problem, but confidence is high. I hope to take it to Lake Monroe tomorrow for the smoke test.
Yep, I've hated those K&N's since I bought the boat.
Joe,....

Something still sounds strange to me, unfortunately I know nothing about Holley's,....

Who knows,... Good luck to 'ya, hope that does it!!

Wayne

Cuda
12-01-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm thinking the loose coil wire wasn't making a good enough connection to provide enough spark when the engine was under a load. It would backfire, which as everyone that has a Holley know will blow out the powervalve. Before, I was under the impression that the blow powervalve was causing the backfire, and making it die when under a load. The coil wire never did fit right, because I couldn't find one with the right connectors on both ends. I ended up going to a speed shop in Daytona and had them make a coil wire that fit. I'll find out tomorrow if my hypothesis was correct! :)

MOP
12-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Just an opinon on the air cleaners, Merc HiPo's show up pretty regular on Ebay. They are very good quality and go pretty cheap.

Phil

mrfixxall
12-02-2005, 04:35 PM
joe,what size flame arrestors ? im a dealer for gafferig and their not far from my shop......

Cuda
12-02-2005, 04:48 PM
joe,what size flame arrestors ? im a dealer for gafferig and their not far from my shop......
Whatever will replace these pos K&N's on these holleys.

mrfixxall
12-03-2005, 10:40 AM
joe,looks like 10'x3'' are thay for the formula? any specific color and does your fuel pump puke hose go to the flame arrestor also...last are thay 4150 series or 4500 series (dominator) hollys

Ed Donnelly
12-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Cuda; Put check valves on the Hollys, so if the engine backfires again, you dont blow the power valves. It is a 10 min. fix and the kit even comes with the drill bit you need...........Ed