PDA

View Full Version : Hill bronson thrasher for volvo

mrfixxall
11-30-2005, 10:44 PM
just another option for all the volvo guys...

Ted Guldemond
12-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Interesting prop. Who makes them and are they still available?

kjly63
12-01-2005, 10:12 AM
haso anyone tried this prop? currentely running a 24" Ultra on a 20 Cig. Best prop so far but still looking to improve.

Ken

Forrest
12-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Be sure to check out the recently developed Solas hi-perf prop for the Volvo-Penta Aquamatic drive. It supposed to be faster and more efficient than both the Ultra and the Hill Thrasher (I've run both). I don't think it's listed on the Solas website at this time. Do a search on Donzi.net for Solas to get more info.

mrfixxall
12-01-2005, 11:11 AM
hill claims that the thrasher is 5---6mph faster then the volvo ultra..hill has been making this prop for 15 yrs and their custom order only from 14''through 15'' pitch from 15,16 ,17,through 30...i had a 27pitch years ago but the engine i had at the time wouldnt push the prop over 4300rpm si i sold it,,,dam i wish i hadn't...thay start taking orders the first of jan2006 their #714-953-5010...cheers p.s. their also a solis dealer and hill said that solas dont make a prop for a volvo....i think some one is toying around with solas castings and pressing volvo hubs in them.....

mrfixxall
12-01-2005, 12:12 PM
They need to check with Solas again :) :) :)

everyone is asking so why dont you give us a hand in solas......some part numbers would be nice .

thanx......

RedDog
12-01-2005, 12:25 PM
everyone is asking so why dont you give us a hand in solas......some part numbers would be nice .
thanx......

Do a search on this board for Solas - several people are running it

mrfixxall
12-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Do a search on this board for Solas - several people are running it

Ihave done a search and i only get companys in australia..i would be nice to see someone post ware to get the prop and how much thay cost but on webb sites ive been to their advertised in fin fin language...

RedDog
12-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Ihave done a search and i only get companys in australia..i would be nice to see someone post ware to get the prop and how much thay cost but on webb sites ive been to their advertised in fin fin language...

Lets try this again - hit the "Search Button" that is about 2 inches below the American flag near the top of this screen. May even find someonr on this board who sells them...

mrfixxall
12-01-2005, 01:32 PM
gotcha,,my blond hair must be coming back lol......

EricG
12-01-2005, 03:24 PM
hill claims that the thrasher is 5---6mph faster then the volvo ultra...

That seems like a very optimistic claim, I really hope someone is able to run a back to back comparison at some point, I'd love to see something that performs better than my ultra.

Then again, I've been looking for a direct comparison between an ultra and the new Solas for awhile. The general consensus on the new Solas seems to be that it is much more efficient than the ultra, but you have to have big HP to see a benefit. I seems to me that if you have run out of prop with an Ultra, then the Solas may be a great option, but for those of us that run more "modest" HP (I spin my 24" ultra to 5200) you will LOSE RPM's running even a 21 Solas, and therefore, not gain any speed - although I don't remember what Griz and DavidO said about the handling. Anyone have any new info?

EG

David O
12-02-2005, 08:06 AM
If I understood Randy correctly (Big Griz) he is the only source for the Solas props that fit the older Volvo drives.

And he had this to say:
"Since I am in some dissareay let people know I am alive and well and am still pushing props. My Cell is 770-318-1136, I am not sure of my home phone number but the cell is my primary contact"

So for all you guys interested in the Solas Props and have not followed all the postings in the last frew years on the development of these props, then contact Randy and get you questions answered.
He is very helpful with all your prop questions.
David

Lenny
12-02-2005, 09:12 AM
I run one of Randy's Solas props. (or did)

I went from the Ultra at 5400rpm and 14 x 24" of pitch with a 350 that spun nicely on a 280 to a 21" pitch by 14 5/8" Solas. My rpms went to 4400. No kidding. Down a 1000 rpms. :eek:

These things BITE the water and seem to have NO slip numbers of any consequence. ( Ultra @ about 19% ) I have not retried it since as I obviously have a "horsepower problem" but I can only imagine what these are capable of with some ponies behind them.

kjly63
12-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Hey Lenny,

A 1000 rpm drop:) How about speed? Any change from out of the hole to top end?

Ken

Lenny
12-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Kily, it went 49 on GPS at 4400 indicated rpms. Perfect would have been 54 with ZERO slip but I had bent over the top 3/4" on two of the three blades, to right angles from smashing into the torque tab :bonk: So, it was about 9% with the 1:61 as opposed to 19% WOT with the Ultra. The motor had nothing left in it to spin this prop. It needed another 100 horsepower.

The best I have seen in the 18 alone, with full fuel and the Ultra at 5400rpms is 60-61 in a foot or 1 1/2' of chop. Should be 76 if perfect. We are looking at about 20% slip with the Ultra :eek:

I did not like the way the Solas worked on MY boat. It would blow out in the third hole trying to get on plane. Had to move it back to the second. The Ultra could care less. The Solas steered much better than the Ultra tho with far less torque steer. Next spring I will try them again.

Tony
12-02-2005, 08:10 PM
I would love to drop my rpm's! I also run the Ultra at 5400 but do not like the general idea of winding my engine OR my 38 year old AQ200 at those rpm's. The 14 x 21 Solas sounds like it would suit my setup nicely, since I have upwards of 300 hp according to my engine shop. Hopefully next summer I will get a chance to demo a Solas or two...

mattyboy
12-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Lenny
you need this set up on the back of your X

see what's missing on this X

mrfixxall
12-03-2005, 10:52 AM
matty i think he needs one of thease....

mrfixxall
12-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Kily, it went 49 on GPS at 4400 indicated rpms. Perfect would have been 54 with ZERO slip but I had bent over the top 3/4" on two of the three blades, to right angles from smashing into the torque tab :bonk: So, it was about 9% with the 1:61 as opposed to 19% WOT with the Ultra. The motor had nothing left in it to spin this prop. It needed another 100 horsepower.
The best I have seen in the 18 alone, with full fuel and the Ultra at 5400rpms is 60-61 in a foot or 1 1/2' of chop. Should be 76 if perfect. We are looking at about 20% slip with the Ultra :eek:
I did not like the way the Solas worked on MY boat. It would blow out in the third hole trying to get on plane. Had to move it back to the second. The Ultra could care less. The Solas steered much better than the Ultra tho with far less torque steer. Next spring I will try them again.

it sounds like to me that that prop is too much and with no slippage in the prop it could over heat the out drive.....

Lenny
12-04-2005, 01:22 AM
Matty, nice, yes that would help. 280T, right hand helm, left hand prop, 4" exhaust and Bennetts. Let's see, oh yeah, I am missing all 5 of those things.

Tony, you can try my 21 SOLAS anytime. Let me know.

mattyboy
12-04-2005, 07:19 AM
Matty, nice, yes that would help. 280T, right hand helm, left hand prop, 4" exhaust and Bennetts. Let's see, oh yeah, I am missing all 5 of those things.
Tony, you can try my 21 SOLAS anytime. Let me know.

Lenny I believe that is a solas prop on Brad Verd's X what I was pointing out no torque tab
but trim is always a good thing

onesubdrvr
12-04-2005, 05:10 PM
So let's see here, if I understand right, most stock engines can turn the 24" ultra to 5000+ rpm's?

So, if I'm up say 80 +/- hp, the Solas might be a good fit for me.

I'm thinking with the age of the Volvo drives, prop testing could get MIGHTY expensive.

Wayne

Lenny
12-04-2005, 05:26 PM
So let's see here, if I understand right, most stock engines can turn the 24" ultra to 5000+ rpm's?
So, if I'm up say 80 +/- hp, the Solas might be a good fit for me.
I'm thinking with the age of the Volvo drives, prop testing could get MIGHTY expensive.
Wayne

Wayne, drop 3" of pitch, (you pick up almost 3/4" in diameter) add that "80-ish HP" you are talking about and MAYBE you can spin the 21 SOLAS to redline. Try mine if you want. REMOVE the torque tab first :bonk: prior to testing.

I will mail it to ya if you like. It spins left. 21" x 14 5/8"... and it BITES...

onesubdrvr
12-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Wayne, drop 3" of pitch, (you pick up almost 3/4" in diameter) add that "80-ish HP" you are talking about and MAYBE you can spin the 21 SOLAS to redline. Try mine if you want. REMOVE the torque tab first :bonk: prior to testing.
I will mail it to ya if you like. It spins left. 21" x 14 5/8"... and it BITES...
Lenny,....

THANKS!!!

I'll be in touch, I'm thinking by February I'll have the engine swap with the Ragazza done, that'll give me 360+/- cshp, AND, I've got a 280 drive with trim and power steering that I'll be swapping at the same time, I'm thinking it'll be a pretty nice set-up

I'll post results of course when I'm done

Thanks
Wayne

Kirbyvv
12-09-2005, 12:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bravo-Style-Four-Blade-Propeller-for-VOLVO-270-280-290_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26456QQitemZ4595602 297QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Interesting 4 blade Hill Bravo style stainless prop on e-bay.

mrfixxall
12-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Ron Hill Has Nothing To Do With Hill Bronson Propellers,ron Hill's Props Are Welded Together And Can Only Be Seen On Ebay..ron Hill Is From What Im Told Steals All Hill Bronsons Designs And Sells Them And Does Not stand Behind His Work...
Just Wanted To Let All The Donzi Brothers Know What He Is About..