PDA

View Full Version : My Key West Worlds Trip

GEOO
11-29-2005, 10:39 PM
My Brother-in law called about a month ago and said we should go to the World's. Then Thursday night he called and asked if I wanted to leave on Friday morning. So woke up 3:00am and caught a 6:00am flight out of NYC.
Was picked up in Key West at 12:00 by my brother-in-laws friend Bill who own's and throttles a Super Vee 38 fountain, Joe Boxer Patron. We hopped in the Black Dulley and went to get our credential's. At the desk Bill said who's driving Sunday, :wavey: Next thing I knew I had a Racer credentials.:hyper: I went for a quick drive friday afternoon during test time. Bill had a driver for Wenesday and Saturday but needed on for Sunday.
So Sunday am I woke up at 6:00am, grabbed a coffee, was picked up at the hotel and went for a physical and stick test, then the drivers meeting. Well since it was the third day of racing, they didn't spend a lot of time explaining the coarse or how things real went.
Next thing I knew I was putting the helmut on and strapping into the seat. Drove off to the milling area. This Fountain had crash Boxes so you couldn't shift the boat with out turning it off. I was used to that!! then the three minute smoke went off and the next thing I know we're chaseing the pace boat down the straight and I'm getting squezed between two boats and heading straight at a Large Green Nun Bouy. Bill Backed off and I moved over and got the rooster tail of the boat in front. We got completelly hosed down. Couldn't see for 10-20 seconds.. Bill stayed hard on the throttle. :eek:
Got ot he first marker took it tight and pasted two boat's who were taking the turn wide and fast. Bill never backed off the throttle until we on the marker. It was a learning expereance to start aturn at WOT then back off, turn hard, then WOT and straighten out he wheel. It felt like I was screwing up ever turn but after looking and the lap times I was doing pretty good. If I only could be more consistent... Bill the throttler /owner is a two time World Champ, raced for 18 years. The boat was five or six years old, not one of the newest models, It had number 5 Speed Masters. I almost hooked it once.
Past one more boat and three other boat's broke down. We ended up 7 out of 13. I think we came pretty close to Scott's Boat once?? Ran through a rain storm, Bill stayed WOT...In calm water the boat should place 4-5th, 5 in rough water the boat is very competitive. It was really cool!!! But my *ss is sore and have strap makers on my shoulders. The waves were 3-4 footers on the back straight. You didn't have to steer much at all down the straights. Just point and go. We hit speed's close to 100mph down the straights. We hit pretty good in the 3-4 footers. You must get pretty beat up when racing in 6-8 stuff.
Well that was the first world I've seen. I'm still smiling...:biggrin.:

Lenny
11-29-2005, 10:48 PM
We saw you round our bouy more than once... GOOD ON YA :yes:

What a blast...

...BUT, what does this mean? :confused:
and went for a physical and stick test you have kids ,...??? right? so why the test :D ?

Cuda
11-29-2005, 11:05 PM
That must have been a thrill.

They didn't make you dunk test?

boldts
12-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Wow George. What a life experience. Must have felt calm compared to being in an open 18' 120mph Donzi? Lenny, stick test is reflexes. Person holds a 3 or 4' stick in front of you and drops it at some point. You have to grab it before it hits the floor to pass. Not sure how many tries you get as the times I've seen it done, the guys always caught the stick. I'm a little surprised no dunk test was done seeing it was your first time driving in a race. I believe those are done on a day before the first race begins. Sure wish I could have been there to enjoy the races and festivities with everyone who attended. It really doesn't get any better than good friends and a sport that is so heart pounding. Especially when you have the opportunity to help by working on the race course. I've done it in the past and highly recommend it to anyone who can at a local event. Just contact the organization. Most are always looking for a helping hand.

DonziChick
12-02-2005, 06:45 AM
wow - that is awesome! What an experience to have!

boxy
12-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Way Cool George, two of my favorite sponsors too...... :D

McGary911
12-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Jealous would be the understatement of the year. Lucky to have friends and family that can hook u up with something like that.

Hmmmmmm.....Mighty Mouse for sale (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42033).....Nice Corsa for sale in Other Boats (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42335)...The Corsa is only a couple of hours from George.......Hmmmmmm.....Racer in the making??? ;) :D :tongue: :p :eek!: :boggled: