PDA

View Full Version : An emotional day

onesubdrvr
11-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Being a parent is the toughest job I've ever had, the rewards are bountiful and right there in front of you, but the thanks just aren't. None the less, I love my girls, all 4 of them, my little princesses, each and every one.

This morning started off like any other day, and has turned into another one of "those" days.

While getting ready for work this morning, my 2 year old (turns 2 in December), fell off of her sisters bed and bit a pretty deep chunk into her tongue and her lip,....poor thing, it's stopped bleeding, but I'm sure it hurts like hell now, and there is really nothing that can be done to rid the pain but lots of hugs, kisses and love.

My 5 year old had a follow up appointment today with her cardiologist (she had open heart surgery at 3 months old). After 4 years of hearing how good she and her heart were doing, we got news today that is just tough. She is going to have to have another surgery. Not immediately, but, the patch they put into her heart is starting to detiorate, and she will undoubtably need another surgery, some day.

And my two oldest are still trying to accept what should be a normal life after leaving where they were before they got to come live with us.

As a parent, all you want is for your children to be safe and happy. Days like this truely make me - a grown man with quite a few world experiences under my belt - cry. These innocent children having to endure this, why?

As a husband, we want our wives to be happy and healthy as well, and our duties include being the pillar of strength, the sane one when the world is crazy. Although during times like this, my wife as upset as she is, must realize that there is sanity and it must be me - not that I have to be an emotional stiff, but none the less must be that strength when she feels all is falling apart.

Although I haven't met many of you, I am thankful that this forum exist, and the people here exist, so that, although you can't solve my problems, you do give me a place to wear my heart on my sleeve so to speak, and for that, I am thankful.

Wayne

ChromeGorilla
11-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Wayne, anytime brother. Scott

Digger
11-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Wayne, hang in there. Nothing like health issues in the family to make a Daddy's knees want to buckle. Continue to exhibit the strength, endurance, and leadership for your wife and kids: they need it badly and you are a better man for it. God bless

MOP
11-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Wayne sorry for your stressful feelings been there resently as well, it will work out but does test our metal. Hopefully it all balances out in the long run! I have you and your loved ones in my thoughts.

Phil

gold-n-rod
11-29-2005, 04:46 PM
I've poured out my heart to this group in the past and have read other's trials and troubles. Ironic that we have a peer group drawn together not because of geography, national origin, religious beliefs or some other social factor. Instead, our common element is a collection of resin, fiberglass, iron, aluminum, stainless steel and other materials.

Yet, we feel a kinship from boats that we hope carries into a common experience in other ways; from others who have been (or are heading down) the same path as ourselves.

Parent to parent, I've been down some of the same paths you've described and my heart hurts for you like I know yours hurts.

Chin up, better days and better seas are ahead. Perservere, my fellow boatnut.

onesubdrvr
11-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Thank-you very much everyone,......

The sun will shine tomorrow for sure!!

Thanks
Wayne

Carl C
11-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Wayne, I'm going through some tough times too and it does help to talk about it here. The fact that your daughters have a daddy who agonizes over a cut mouth says that these are 4 very lucky children. Even the one with the heart trouble. I have a feeling that she will be fine.

Cuda
11-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Wayne, family is everything, and it's a honor to count you as a friend.

onesubdrvr
11-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Thank-you again everyone, your words of encouragement and friendship, they really mean the world to me.

As of tonight, the baby is sleeping well, no stitches needed in the tongue although it does look BAD, the 5 year old doesn't know any better, and she will likely be able to wait a couple of years or more for the surgery.

As for Momma, she has finally accepted things, and although worried like any parent, is now plugging away at her homework from a new class she just started, and me, I am finally unwinding from the day, relaxing at last, enjoying a nice cup of coffee, and thanking the lord for my friends and family here.

Thanks again
Wayne

Jraysray
11-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Bumped u up a notch bud. Don't know about your "Buddy" situation there in Port St Lucie, (sp?) but I need to introduce you to my Bro that just moved there. Good guy and has that TEXAS hospitality. (SALUTE!)

When I go visit we will have to meet up. He keeps braggin' on the fishin' there!

sanleonkid
11-29-2005, 08:55 PM
Wayne, I have worked in healthcare in Houston, TX for 27+ years now. I just got back from speaking to our General Med Staff this evening and after talking to our Chief of Staff regarding a young patient that has a tough time with a post surgical infection... I came home to my wife telling me she is going to have to take on some additional duties at school for a young mom that has cancer and then my elderly mother in law called with some of her issues in an assisted living center. After this discussion I hugged my wife and told her how lucky we are to have our health. As for those that are less fortunate that have health issues, and they are many, we should all count ourselves incredibly lucky to have the healthcare technology, physicians and staff that commit themselves everyday to treat and care for those that are sick. Best of luck with your daughter. We have an active Cardiovascular Surgical program at my hospital and they are able to do incredible work. Best wishes from our entire family.

onesubdrvr
11-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Bumped u up a notch bud. Don't know about your "Buddy" situation there in Port St Lucie, (sp?) but I need to introduce you to my Bro that just moved there. Good guy and has that TEXAS hospitality. (SALUTE!)
When I go visit we will have to meet up. He keeps braggin' on the fishin' there!
Sounds good,....

We'll have to get together, the fishing here is spectacular, whether in the river, or in the ocean, I mean, this is the Sailfish capital of the world, Tarpon is pretty good in the river, as well as some damn good Snook's

Anytime anyone from the board is in the area, I'd LOVE a call, we'll do dinner, and if time / weather / boat permits, take a little cruise!

Wayne

onesubdrvr
11-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Wayne, I have worked in healthcare in Houston, TX for 27+ years now. I just got back from speaking to our General Med Staff this evening and after talking to our Chief of Staff regarding a young patient that has a tough time with a post surgical infection... I came home to my wife telling me she is going to have to take on some additional duties at school for a young mom that has cancer and then my elderly mother in law called with some of her issues in an assisted living center. After this discussion I hugged my wife and told her how lucky we are to have our health. As for those that are less fortunate that have health issues, and they are many, we should all count ourselves incredibly lucky to have the healthcare technology, physicians and staff that commit themselves everyday to treat and care for those that are sick. Best of luck with your daughter. We have an active Cardiovascular Surgical program at my hospital and they are able to do incredible work. Best wishes from our entire family.
I agree, like I said, my daughter had open heart at 3 months, and she made it through, the staff of doctors and nurses at Miami Childrens were incredible. Even with her problems, there are many many more in worse situations. There was a family from Haiti at Miami Childrens who's daughter was born with nearly all her organs on the outside. This poor child was bound to have many surgery's to correct this, with a minimal survival likelyhood, so keeping that kind of stuff in mind, I STILL feel fortunate. I am fortunate with what I have, and send my prayers out to those many that are less fortunate.

Wayne

Jraysray
11-29-2005, 09:18 PM
I STILL feel fortunate. I am fortunate with what I have, and send my prayers out to those many that are less fortunate.
Wayne

AMEN!!!

smokediver
11-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Keep the faith Wayne . Many years ago we ran on a call where a little girl fell out of her sisters bed . she broke her neck and died . no foul play , just an unfortunate accident . I can only imagine what you feel at times when dealing with these health issues with your little ones ...There is power in Prayer my friend .... your family will be in mine tonight ...

Schnook
11-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Subdriver, what a class act. God Bless.

GEOO
11-30-2005, 06:28 AM
Wayne,
Hang in there bud.. Being a parent and husband too I know the weight that one must carry from time to time. I've been lucky and haven't had to show the strenght you have been. I've had freind with children who have had tring times and I am amazed how people can continue on. This is a great site to talk and vent. I've never meet a better bunch of people/friends. You're doing a great job with the family, godspeed.....:lifeprese

GEOO
11-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Wayne,
Hang in there bud.. Being a parent and husband too I know the weight that one must carry from time to time. I've been lucky and haven't had to show the strenght you have been. I've had freind with children who have had tring times and I am amazed how people can continue on. This is a great site to talk and vent. I've never meet a better bunch of people/friends. You're doing a great job with the family, godspeed..... :lifeprese