PDA

View Full Version : WTB: '86 Z29; questions about hull integrity

JustWishin
11-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Hey everybody, the wife and I are looking at upgrading our boat this winter and we came across a good looking '86 Z29 with BBC/alpha combo. I haven't been able to check the boat out yet but am going to try and check it out this weekend. Asking price is $25K with a beat up looking steel trailer (not aluminum trailer pictured):

http://www.captainschoiceboats.com/usedboats/1986donzi/5.jpg

Before I look it over, I had a couple of qeustions and hopefully someone will be kind enough to point me in the right direction (I did a search, but didn't find much).

How common transom/stringer rot is on these hulls?
Where would be the most common spot for the rot to start on the transom?
Would the stringers likely start rotting from the rear or somewhere else?
What kind of gas tank material was used on these boats?
Is it likely the gas tank needs replacement?
Can I get access to it to find out without tearing the boat apart?

Thanks for your time guys! We're really hoping this works out since it's the first boat we found that we can agree on!

Trueser
11-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Call me I can show and tell you all you need to look at.

630.769.4283 work

Mike

Donzigo
11-29-2005, 06:46 AM
Trueser should know what to look for. You can also call too. I have some expericence with this era of Donzis. George Carter knows something about it too, he's done the whole project recently and has a wealth of knowledge. Oh, and even though I truly love the Donzi Z-boats, from 1986 to 1989, I'd be sure I call one of us before you take the leap. You're on the right path with the issues, though. Yes, there is a stringer issue, yes, there is a fuel tank issue. I can speak to both of those issues if you like. Been there, done that.

Throw me a call today, I'm at the office all day.

727-867-7020

Regards,

Richard