PDA

View Full Version : Need help with volvo prop info.

Ted Guldemond
11-28-2005, 11:01 AM
While visiting my parents in Michigan I came across a volvo prop at a used marine parts store. Its got a 17 spline hub, it's stainless, it's 14x26, stamped volvo penta on the hub, part number 853793-8, left hand rotation, and never been on an engine. Is this an ultra, and what's a ball park price range? Thank you.

mattyboy
11-28-2005, 11:09 AM
ted,
you have found a worthless piece of junk, that I would gladly take off your hands ;) :p :rlol:

post a pic if it is an ultra and a 26 you have found a scarce one
depending on condition and pitch I have seen them go from 200 to 500 bux

Tony
11-28-2005, 08:04 PM
You'll need some horsies to spin a 26", and it'll be lousy on both hole shot and mid-range. That being said...where is it located? I am in mid-Michigan and would be glad to take a look at it...I could act mildly interested and make a lowball offer if it is somewhat nearby.

No, I am not interested...as I have a 14 x 24 Ultra, cupped to add about another inch in equivalent pitch, and it is quite squirrely at WOT. I would like to try a 26 Ultra, but likely would not be interested in owning one.

Ted Guldemond
11-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks Tony and Mattyboy for the help. I picked it up last night. I don't think its ever been on a prop shaft. The boat its going on is a St. Tropez with a 383 sbc, somewhere around 450 ft/lb & 400-450 hp. I figure I can always knock off an inch of pitch and the cup if I have to. I have to say this corner of Lake St. Clair is a treasure trove of cool Donzi stuff, compared to where I live in Massachusetts. I bought some cool old metal Donzi signs from a defunct dealer in Algonac. He was so glad to get ride of the stuff he threw in all his old Donzi hats. Unfortunately no old catalogs or Donzi specific hardware. Thanks again.

onesubdrvr
11-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks Tony and Mattyboy for the help. I picked it up last night. I don't think its ever been on a prop shaft. The boat its going on is a St. Tropez with a 383 sbc, somewhere around 450 ft/lb & 400-450 hp. I figure I can always knock off an inch of pitch and the cup if I have to. I have to say this corner of Lake St. Clair is a treasure trove of cool Donzi stuff, compared to where I live in Massachusetts. I bought some cool old metal Donzi signs from a defunct dealer in Algonac. He was so glad to get ride of the stuff he threw in all his old Donzi hats. Unfortunately no old catalogs or Donzi specific hardware. Thanks again.
Uh Oh Ted,....

Sounds like you should start an Auction,.... I know I'd like a metal Donzi sign.:smile: :smile:

Moody Blu'
11-29-2005, 02:06 PM
ted is your st tropez original prop right hand or left hand?

I have a 14x26 ultra RH if your st trop was originally RH ill trade ya?

Ted Guldemond
11-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Sorry Moody Blu she's a lefty.

Moody Blu'
11-29-2005, 02:54 PM
"LUCKY!!!" -nap dyn

Forrest
11-30-2005, 10:28 AM

Ted, you hit the find of finds. The 26" LH Ultra is ULTRA RARE and ULTRA DESIREABLE. Do not have the pitch changed. The prop won't be as good as a virgin Ultra. You can easily trade it to someone for a 24" LH Ultra plus cash. Put it this way, if you picked up that new 26" LH Ultra for under $500 you stole it.

Also, if you end up keeping the new 26" LH Ultra, be sure to have the original glue-in hub upgraded with a Michigan replacement hub as soon as possible. Admiral C&B propellers in Tampa (http://www.acbprop.com/) does the conversion right for about $100 including return shipping/

Moody Blu'
11-30-2005, 10:58 AM
if that props to much, I'll buy it from ya, first dibs!

mrfixxall
11-30-2005, 04:50 PM
me got a19, 22, 2 24,26 ultras...........NOT FOR SALE.........

JimG
12-01-2005, 09:21 AM
I know who has the original Ultra molds, and he would likely build more if someone wants one...

Forrest
12-01-2005, 10:17 AM
I know who has the original Ultra molds, and he would likely build more if someone wants one...

Wow Jim . . . that's very cool. Yea, that's right the Ultras were made in USA. I betcha you could sell a number of 24" and 26" pitch lefties right here especially if he did the hub upgrade right from the get-go. Also, Volvo-Penta sold a special stainless-steel prop-nut cone for the Ultra that is highly recommended. The standard Volvo prop cone touches against the prop body rather than the prop's hub, which can the prop nut to loosen and the prop to fall off. If you use a standard Volvo-Penta prop cone with an Ultra, be sure to clean all the threads, apply RED Loc-Tite, and tighten everything well.

Also, don't rule out the new Solas prop in favor of the Ultra. The Solas hi-perf Volvo-Penta Aquamatic prop was developed with help from our very own, Mr. Big Grizzly. Tests show the the Solas just may be a bit faster and significantly more efficient than the Ultra on an 18 Donzi. I'm just now sure where to buy the Solas right now. Anyone looking for this Solas prop may want to try to contact Grizz for info, but he's been a little bit out-of-pocket lately and may not be able to get back with you in a timely manor. For that reason, please DO NOT bug him for a quick answer. Another option is to contact DavidO. He has a Solas and swears by it and he just may know what the Solas part numbers are and where to buy one.

David O
12-02-2005, 08:02 AM
If I understood Randy correctly (Big Griz) he is the only source for the Solas props that fit the older Volvo drives.

And he had this to say:
"Since I am in some dissareay let people know I am alive and well and am still pushing props. My Cell is 770-318-1136, I am not sure of my home phone number but the cell is my primary contact"

So for all you guys interested in the Solas Props and have not followed all the postings in the last frew years on the development of these props, then contact Randy and get you questions answered.
He is very helpful with all your prop questions.
David