PDA

View Full Version : Any Garage experts out there?

SideshowRob
11-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Alright I'm going to test out the "Whatever You Want to Talk About".
We recentley purchased a house, which if anyone remembers is how we also came to be X-18 owners. Now, the house has a carport, which has been closed in and has doors on it. I am in the process of preparing the "dirt" floor to have a slab poured. Now to my issue. There is currently two 6x6 beams bolted together acting as support with two 6x6 support posts on sono tubes 7' from the house and the outside wall of the carport; all of this will be removed to make way for a steel beam supported at either end, which will open up the garage. Now, after all of that is my question, can anyone tell me what size beam I should use? I've inquired at a couple of the steel shops here in town, but honestly I really don't think they understand what I want, I've researched what they've said, but I don't plan to land my chopper on the roof of this thing, and I also don't want to hire an engineer, as that will cost as much as the beam. If anyone out there has done this or a similar project, I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.
Thanks
Sideshow

Lenny
11-27-2005, 10:32 PM
...and the span is ??? ... (feet)

Click a pic and I can use my tables

Tim Morris
11-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Try a post on:

www.garagejunkies.net

boxy
11-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Lenny, make sure you factor in "Sudbury Snow Load"

Rob, if I read your post correctly, there is currently a 6x6 wood beam supported in the middle of a single car carport, and now you want a steel beam to span a new single or double car garage ? What if you used an engineered wood beam, I used KOTT Lumber for the construction of my house, and we used wood beams wherever we could.

Boxy
Not many answers, but a lot of questions :D

SideshowRob
11-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Sorry Lenny, Beam length will be 23' 7". Oh and thanks Tim for that website. Great another site dedicated to another of my weaknesses ;).