PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Cross-over

onesubdrvr
11-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Someone (I believe Ted), posted a question about Stainless marine x-overs. I looked at a couple and have a question,....

The crossover eliminates the water re-circ pump on the engine, thus freeing up some horsepower,...how much? I'd guess 5 - 10? Anyway, is this saying that the water pump in the lower unit supplies enough cooling water without the recirc pump on the engine?

Just a question, thanks
Wayne

Mr X
11-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Yes, it was me.
Usually these are used on Bravo applications, thus a raw water pump is already on the engine and still provides a ton of water pressure.
I have heard of Alpha (small block) crossovers
being used as long as long idle periods are avoided.

gcarter
11-27-2005, 09:48 PM
When I bought the Minx it had a crossover, I'm glad it did because I reused it with my electric circ pump.
I removed the drive pump, added a transom pickup and a crank driven pump.
When I was talking to San Juan Engineering about a closed cooling system,
The engineer I spoke to said Alphas pump impellor blades are too long and in warm water like here in Florida, they can nearly stop pumping. In cold water it works fine.

onesubdrvr
11-27-2005, 09:50 PM
I've got 'cha,....

So you really need a crank driven pump anyway, but like you said, in a Bravo application, you could pick up a little HP. I've always heard Alpha's have a tough problem with cooling here (Florida), but what about OMC / Volvo's (new and old) / etc?

Thanks
Wayne

MOP
11-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Wayne the circ pump is usless on "raw" water cooled engines the drive or engine mounted pump supplies plenty to keep it cool. On closed cooling you must have a circ pump either engine driven or like George an electric pump, the cross over is a nice up grade when the circ pumps goes bye bye or sooner! The water flow does not change the same amount still goes through the system.

Phil

Cuda
11-28-2005, 05:21 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about Alpha's not supplying enough water without a crossover. There are litterally millions of them out there equiped just this way. I have heard of many people having too much water pressure on a Bravo set up when they went to crossovers. My 302 has crossovers, and I've never had a problem with them. The 302 has seawater pumps, and offshore intakes.

Doesn't your boat have a Volvo? I'm unfamilliar with how they get water.

onesubdrvr
11-28-2005, 06:27 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about Alpha's not supplying enough water without a crossover. There are litterally millions of them out there equiped just this way. I have heard of many people having too much water pressure on a Bravo set up when they went to crossovers. My 302 has crossovers, and I've never had a problem with them. The 302 has seawater pumps, and offshore intakes.
Doesn't your boat have a Volvo? I'm unfamilliar with how they get water.
Yup, new boat has a Volvo 270 drive, SBC. Not exactly sure of the water system until it gets here,.....

Wayne

Islander
11-28-2005, 07:16 AM
I have a Stainless Marine crossover on my small block/alpha/18 and have never had a temp problem, even idling for extended periods in Miami summers.

mattyboy
11-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Wayne ,
on the old 250 270 there is no pickup pump in the drive it is gravity feed thru the drive, or another source,to either a crank driven pump with a crossover, or a beltdriven raw water pump then to a circ pump not sure on the 280 290

on the 20 cig 350/volvo 270 we converted the chris craft chevy 350 from old cast iron logs with a raw water and circ pump to stainless marine risers and a cross over thus getting rid of around 250 lbs of stuff

onesubdrvr
11-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Wayne ,
on the old 250 270 there is no pickup pump in the drive it is gravity feed thru the drive, or another source,to either a crank driven pump with a crossover, or a beltdriven raw water pump then to a circ pump not sure on the 280 290
on the 20 cig 350/volvo 270 we converted the chris craft chevy 350 from old cast iron logs with a raw water and circ pump to stainless marine risers and a cross over thus getting rid of around 250 lbs of stuff
Matty,

That's cool, kinda what I was thinking, especially after our "chat" the other night,.... That is a considerable amount of weight!! Something I'll be looking into more closely for sure!

Wayne