PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 16' vs 18'

Sluggo
11-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Okay guys, I am a newbie always wanting a Donzi. I am now wondering do I go for the 16 or 18. I would like to spend upto $6500 and wouldn't mind working on a project.

onesubdrvr
11-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Okay guys, I am a newbie always wanting a Donzi. I am now wondering do I go for the 16 or 18. I would like to spend upto $6500 and wouldn't mind working on a project.
First, Welcome the the board!!

Second, you are going to get alot of input, but try doing a search, this topic has been discussed a couple of times.

Some questions to ask yourself 1) where do I do most of my boating 2) who do I do most of my boating with 3) where do I want to "go"

For $6500.00, you'll find pleny of both. I myself was recently in the same boat and opted for the 18.

Have fun, and like I said do a search, lots and lots of good info, try "16 vs 18"

Wayne

Cuda
11-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Bigger is better. You should be able to find a few in your price range, especially if you don't mind investing a little sweat equity. Osd probably has every bargain 18 in the country located. Give him a few leads Wayne! :)

onesubdrvr
11-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Bigger is better. You should be able to find a few in your price range, especially if you don't mind investing a little sweat equity. Osd probably has every bargain 18 in the country located. Give him a few leads Wayne! :)
OK, here's a couple,..... alot have come / gone since I was looking, but

Check out this nice Grumble Green 18' http://www.diggerland.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12
Details on this thread
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42429

Or this X-18
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41926

Or the 18' that you already posted a question about that I'm sure is still available.

The 2 listed above I considered before I purchased my X-18.

Also, keep an eye on boat trader and e-bay, and remember, good deals sometimes do find you. :biggrin:

Wayne

Sluggo
11-25-2005, 06:20 AM
Thanks,for the input. I am starting to get focussed. Problem is I sent so many status requests that I lost track of which is which. Is there a checklist of potential problems/things to look at while examining an older 16 or 18'?

Chili 18
11-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Sluggo. Hmmm? Would you be the same sluggo from the TBB forum?

Probably not... Just curious...

mattyboy
11-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Is there a checklist of potential problems/things to look at while examining an older 16 or 18'?

yes do a search on that has well, gas tank , deck coring, transom, stringers

AC18Classic
11-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Go with the 18 - the 2 ft make a difference.

joseph m. hahnl
11-28-2005, 06:33 PM
sluggo: consider where you are going to use it. What do you want to do with it. if your in the rough stuff or large water ways 18 over 16. I think overall the 18 is a better boat out of the box then the 16. the 18 has less tendency to porpoise with the stock prop and is better "More comfortable"in the chop.

joe

Rootsy
11-29-2005, 07:09 AM
i'll sell you my hull (with interior, wiring, transom assy and deck hardware) and trailer for somewhere in that neighborhood ;) you said you wouldn't mind a project...

Formula Jr
11-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Sluggo, it very much depends on the driver and how you will be using the boat.
For taking out a lot of guests, in calm water you will love the wrap around seating - dogs love it. You will come to dis-like the wrap around seating of the 16 in rough water. A passenger can actually get hurt with the way in which it makes them sit and hold on. And there were times I had to throttle back simply because I was concerned about ejecting someone. If you are a really good driver, you can take the 16 anywhere you can take an 18. The 18 will give you a better recovery if you get in trouble. That is just a rule with length on any boat. Everything is easier with a 16 as far as towing and putting it in your garage. And they are easier on gas. The vast majority of 16s are sub 60 mph boats. There's three reasons for this. One, there isn't room to easily put a V8 in them. Second, is that they chine walk at about 60 unless you take countermeasures, tabs, finding the right prop, and making the back end lighter with expensive engine components. Third, they have a built in hook to the hull.

The 18s open up a whole other world of mods and speed limits. There are a lot more of them, so prices reflect that. The 18 is the swiss army knife of donzis. You can put V8s in them, and get them to run in the high 60s/low 70's. Thrill per buck ratio on the 18s is better than the 16. The 16 is just a wee bit too small to hot rod.
If you do hot rod a 16, the "Oooh, Ahhhh" factor is pretty high.
The 16 is a great boat though. It does just come down to what you want to do with the boat.

I would be a failure as a sales man since that is the first question I would ask, "What do you want to do with the boat." Instead of pushing someone into a bigger boat with a bigger commission.

txtaz
11-30-2005, 07:52 AM
I can only attest to the fact that the 18 is a blast to drive and it's pretty hard to throw people out of the boat.
Da Taz<<<--- I'm biased

farmer tx
11-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Taz is correct. The closest i've seen anyone come to flying out of an 18 was at Canyon Lake this fall. I bet Richard is still pulling upholstery out of his a$$ from that flight.

txtaz
11-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Taz is correct. The closest i've seen anyone come to flying out of an 18 was at Canyon Lake this fall. I bet Richard is still pulling upholstery out of his a$$ from that flight.
Too funny. I forgot about that one. Hymmm, you think that may have been the reason he wants to buy a sail boat now?
Da Taz