PDA

View Full Version : ? on Reman Merc vs new GM LB

Laidback
12-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Well,

Some of you know what I have been through with my boat. So, here is my latest situation. I have come to an agreement and have a choice of a new GM long block or "Factory Reman" 454 Mag Merc. I would have to pay about $1000.00 more for the new GM. The thing I like about the Merc is that if I have a problem in the first year the dealer will take care of everything. If I have a problem with the GM I would have to pay expenses traveling or shipping motor for repair. I hope to join the SeaDogs soon........my parents have a house in St. Augustine on the Saint Johns River.

What do you guys think?

Wholesale cost of Reman is $3800.00
New GM marine LB cost is $4700.00

Last Tango
12-09-2002, 10:51 AM
Laidback,
Glad to hear that your motor situation is finally coming to a happy close. Who is doing the work? Be sure to read the posts in the EVENTS section about the SEADOGS on the St. Johns. We meet THIS WEEKEND! Even if the boat is not ready, come on down!
Mark

Laidback
12-09-2002, 01:12 PM
Mark,

I took your advice way back and I am working with Port Jacksonville. Kevin has been great and a great resource for motor advice. He will be installing my new motor. The dealer I bought the boat from is letting me buy the motor at cost and taking off the install dollars off the bottom line. I wanted to have PJSR install the motor in order to creat a relationship down the road if something happens. I am confident that Kevin will take care of me. I am not totally happy with the outcome because I had a great case, but lawyers are expensive and I want my boat back.

I will not be here this weekend, but look forward to seeing you soon at the Outback Crabshack. I'll keep in touch.

Thanks again for the advice.

Brett

riverrat
12-09-2002, 06:45 PM
I think I would go with the Mercury. They have been building boat motors for a long time & there are alot of things that boat motors have that car/truck motors don't. they are also 1st rate quality.
my two cents..
the rat :D