PDA

View Full Version : Key West Worlds, and a video...

Lenny
11-23-2005, 12:45 AM
This is my take on it, and with my pics only. I have left out the boats (basically) because it is more about the people. Let me correct that, it is ONLY about the people.
Everyone of 'em, first class, engaging, generous, friendly and a joy to talk to...I could not ask for anything more. (Cell phone directions on the fly were a nice touch too ;) ) nuff said...

Here is a revamp of the ordeal. It explains the video.

Deneen and I left Victoria, dropped the dog off and went on a 7000 mile excursion to see fast boats for a few days and some great people. Hopped on a Ferry, (we live on an Island) and went to Vancouver. From there we drove to Seattle (after looking at the Corsican in Pt. Roberts) and spent the night. Woke up at 5am and grabbed a flight to Ft. Myers, with one stop in Houston Texas. We arrived in Ft. Myers about 5:30pm. Spent the night at the Lighthouse Inn, a while at the Tiki Bar, then after staying up till who knows when listening to a band at a local Beach Club, crashed. Repeat as neccesary (Tuesday night as well :rolleyes: ) Wednesday we were to go out on the CAT to Key West but it was not running and had not been for the last two days either. A WILMA thing. :mad: So Wednesday am we rented a car and decided to run down to the Keys and drive the #41 through the Everglades and see whatever we could as it was a first for both of us. Well, the drive was unreal, an easy run (up to Miami :rolleyes: ) and beyond beautiful. I have never seen anything like that. The Alligators definately helped. :yes: In Miami, we called Poodle, he was half way to the Keys already with Buizilla. I told him where I was and asked how to get the Hell out of where I was... My Spanish is limited to "Dos Cerveza" ... Seems I $ucked up a bit. Anyways, he directed me to the Turnpike and the rest was a relative breeze. Leaving Homestead and area and entering the Keys was beautiful. Other than the smell at first and the construction on the Atlantic side it just got better and better. We were heading directly into a Sunset, as it was about 4-4:30 pm when we got to Key Largo. All the songs I knew as a kid, all the words, all the places, ... I was driving it :) Well, 7 mile bridge was beyond expectation, as were most of the small Keys. The place REEKS of history.
We arrived in Key West at about 5:30 pm, beautiful Sunset, and went to Publix to get some staples for the kitchen. OK, about $100 of beer and wine... :rolleyes: and a small bag of chips :D We cruised up Duval and heard a scream from above. Poodle and gang on the second floor of the Cuban Club Suites. A quick right, park the car, unload, check in, drink beer. Went out for a decent dinner with Scott, Heidi, Jim, Janice, Jim's brother and wife, myself and Deneen, and Cliff and Dianne. Pretty simple stuff. That was Wednesday night.

Thursday, we were waiting on Allard (CDMA) and Guest to arrive so we all did breakfast at the Southernmost Point, then a pit tour and looked at the Motor/Drive candy and boats. Chatted with some people, basically just stared. Cliff and Dianne made up some Steak stir fry and rice (and WINE) for dinner. (more wine and beer) and strolls into the Street. Allard shows up about 7pm.

Friday morn, same breakfast routine, then off to rent Scooters. 6 of 'em. We travel the Countryside trying to find some as they are all rented out. Between 10 am and 3pm we finally acquire 6 of 'em. Scooter wars ensue and we pilage the neighbourhood. Poodle and Buizilla get Passes for the Pits, and end up being "MEDIC" boats, the two of them, separate boats, for two different turns on the three turn Course. :D Dinner is Pizza, courtesy of Poodle, about 5 larges I believe. Friday night is the $hitfaced Fat Tuesdays ordeal that should be expected :D as we all tour the boats on Duval. End up meeting Geoo for the first time and that was cool. Poodle and Buizilla go for a ride with the cops in Key West till 3 am. ;)

Saturday, early start, scooters to the parking area, launch the boats, and myself and Deneen, and Poodle and a "DIVER" (JOE) go out on his boat to turn 2, as Buizilla, Todd and Cliff and a diver "MIKE" go out to turn 1. Mike's brother is the chopper pilot of "Angel#1", the chopper in charge of the event. the radio contact alone makes the event over and above ANYTHING you will ever experience on the shoreline. :yes: That was the first race. Then we swapped, and Deneen and I and Buizilla and a diver go to turn 1 and Poodle and Todd and a diver go to turn 2 for the next two races. At the end of the Races, Buizilla and Scott take Todd, Deneen and I for a Harbour Tour as well as shoreline in Key West. Southernmost Point as well. Great day, pull the boats out, park 'em then do the usual :D The evening was a decent meal at a Hotel on the Water in the Harbour where all the Poker Run boats are at. Chatted with Frank Civitano as he walked by the Hotel later in the evening.
THERE IS NOTHING LIKE BEING 100' OFF OF A BOUY AS BOATS ROUND IT AND SCREAM BY YOU. SPECTATORS on the docks and walls and HOTELS, ... eat your Hearts out.

Sunday, same ordeal after a terrible sleep due to chickens (Roosters) and a neighbour that wanted to feed the homeless alcohol, :rolleyes: , all night. Got rid of the Scooters, then spent the day with Deneen and Jim in his boat, working turn #1, choppers everywhere, they come right down to the deck, right DOWN... :D That is something. The Choppers are also on T & A duty as well as Manatees and Sea Turtles and Freaks. Sunday saw a flip in front of us and a spin out. The flip self righted, NEVER seen that before, (Canopy boat) and then I was treated to more rain in 15 minutes than I have seen in a month here where I live. Then I was dry again in 30 minutes, jeans and all. WILD place. :yes: Race ended, we pulled out the boats, got ready to race out of Key West, and we all left. ASAP. Deneen drove back to Ft. Myers where we spent the night, got up at 5am, drove to the Airport, dropped off the car, then flew to Newark, NJ, saw New York (by air) for the FIRST time EVER, then had a 3 hour lay-over, then off across the Continent again to Seattle. Once there, I drove to Vancouver, got on the Ferry and headed to Victoria where we got in at 11pm (2am FLA time) Long day.
What a blast, and twice across the Continent below the 49th. I am in next year, no question.
Far more pics to follow, once I get some more from others.
20MB file below, in WMV out of XP. Seems to upload VERY quickly. Must be the new server. Hope you enjoy. :) Lenny
http://www.donzi.net/video/WORLDS2005_0002.wmv

Cuda
11-23-2005, 05:02 AM
Really cool presentation Lenny. You are a man of many talents. I look forward to meeting you someday.

onesubdrvr
11-23-2005, 06:53 AM
Lenny,...

That is truely awesome, thanks for sharing,....

We need to get 'ya down here more often,....maybe cover some of the SEADOG events!! ;)

Thanks again
Wayne

BUIZILLA
11-23-2005, 07:20 AM
Wow.........

RedDog
11-23-2005, 08:11 AM
what Buizilla said - WOW

one day maybe I'll get to go

roadtrip se
11-23-2005, 08:25 AM
now I can show Jill what she missed. Bet it won't happen again....

penbroke
11-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Nice job Lenny! :yes:

Makes me wish I had been there...
Frank

boxy
11-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Lenny, that is beyond cool. Thanks.

olredalert
11-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Lenny,

------Looks like a great time was had by all. Your presentation is absolutely first class..........Bill S

boldts
11-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Lenny, That's fantastic! It's been 10 to 15 years since I last got to go to the Worlds in Key West. Your pics helped bring back so many great memories of when I was there. Thank-you

Ed Donnelly
11-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Lenny; Thanks for sharing..........Ed

GEOO
11-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Lenny,
Thanks..You had a great trip!!! Great photo's and sound..
Nice finally meeting you. Wish I could have spent more time with you guys.

gcarter
11-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Lenny, if you really enjoyed the drive down the keys, it's a shame you didn't experience it in the 60's before they replaced the old RR bridges. I remember following a guy w/a flat tire across seven mile bridge.

MOP
11-28-2005, 08:51 AM
Great I could almost visualize the trip unfold, thanks it was a treat!

Phil

Reedy
11-28-2005, 09:32 AM
SWEET!
Thanks for sharing.

Lenny
12-02-2005, 09:20 AM
LOL :D :D :D

I wouldn't be "OK" with that... :eek:

Sagbay32
12-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Lenny,
Thank you so much for sharing. You did a first rate job on the production!
Hopefully I will be able to go to the Worlds one of these times.

Mike

Digger
12-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Lenny, great story and video, very nicely done! Looks to me like the non-suckometer was pegged.

RedDog
12-02-2005, 11:36 AM
LOL, another video for ya from Key West.....
JBS racing, Joe Skrocki (Audacity) on the sticks giving the pilot NO slack :D :D :D

that is too funny - giving NO slack is an understatement!

Eugene Nahemow
12-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Lenny,
That was an incredible presentation. Thanks for the effort that went into your production! The last time I was in the Keys was 10 years ago. Makes me really want to go back.
Next year I will be there without fail!