View Full Version : Hydraulic steering

Cuda
11-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Who has it, and what kind?

Last Real Texan
11-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Cuda
I am in the process of doing this to the ZX. I have a 1250 Capalano full hydraulic helm , and have Fred over at Trick puting together 2 rams and the bravo bracket, transom brackets and twin rams from Marine MAchine in Fla. I have a local hose guy I know here to do the lines for me at cost ....So in a nutshell full hyd twin ram. They say do it right from the begining not the add on.:beer:
The helm is adjustable from 4.5 turns to 3 turns lock to lock . I am not going to use a res. like the latham system. I have been told the system I am puting together will work well, and I am doing the install myself.
Hope this helps...I will keep you posted on the outcome.:toiletpap

Bryan

Cuda
11-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Cuda
I am in the process of doing this to the ZX. I have a 1250 Capalano full hydraulic helm , and have Fred over at Trick puting together 2 rams and the bravo bracket, transom brackets and twin rams from Marine MAchine in Fla. I have a local hose guy I know here to do the lines for me at cost ....So in a nutshell full hyd twin ram. They say do it right from the begining not the add on.:beer:
The helm is adjustable from 4.5 turns to 3 turns lock to lock . I am not going to use a res. like the latham system. I have been told the system I am puting together will work well, and I am doing the install myself.
Hope this helps...I will keep you posted on the outcome.:toiletpap
Bryan
Please let us know how it works out. I remember seeing a thread years ago on Oso about building your own system for $500. The kits now days cost about $3000.

Last Real Texan
11-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Picked up the helm for $ 475.00 good start...

The Hedgehog
11-22-2005, 09:13 PM
It looks like I may be towing my boat over to GA this spring.

I just hope that my drive holds out for the summer.

blackhawk
11-28-2005, 02:40 PM

Cuda, I sent you a PM.

Cuda
11-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Cuda, I sent you a PM.
I didn't get it, or I accidently deleted it. :(

p729lws
11-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Cuda,
I'm looking at getting the XS system in December. I think there is a group discount for an order over 3 systems if anyones interested. It's only about 5%.
Dan

Last Real Texan
11-28-2005, 03:45 PM
OK so heres the deal.....
I have been researching this now for about a month and I have come to the conclusion that no matter how you do it .........it is expensive! I went the route of getiing a good hyd helm and trying to put the rest of the system together. I have found that it really is a specialized market for this stuff. I tried hyd shops and there distributers and no joy. Seems that most of these companbies putting there systems together make their own clinders. So withthat said I have a new in the box Capalano 1250 helm for sale I can not use. The reason they say this type of system will not work is that low speed maneuvering is all but not existant:cussball: with using a non power pump like the Capalano, it can be done but I do not want to sacrifice the handling around the dock to save a couple hunded bucks, Geeez my 27 footer is bad enough with only one screw...dont need it any worse not being able to turn the wheel easily:kaioken: . So here I am.
What I have decided to do is get a system from Brian Affry An XS marine system from the helm to the dual rams. All I will need to do is furnish a steering wheel. I will do the install and feel it is straight forward enough to do, I am not afraid of drilling holes in my boat. The kit I think is a good deal considering what else is out there and look forward to getting this put behind me safely and go on with the real reason I am doing this .......VORTEC!:yippie:

Cuda
11-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Where can I read about the XS system?

p729lws
11-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Cuda,
I'm looking at getting the XS system in December. I think there is a group discount for an order over 3 systems if anyones interested. It's only about 5%.
Dan

I went back and checked my emails and the discount is $50 on each add on system and $100 on each full system (minimum 3 system order). This was through Allan Hilsinger of Hilsinger motorsports. http://www.hilsingermotorsports.com/

Dan

p729lws
11-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Where can I read about the XS system?

Check this thread http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37303&highlight=XS+STEERING

I think there is some pricing info there also.

Cuda
11-28-2005, 04:56 PM
I checked with Allan last week on this system. I just forgot the name. I'll have to ask if they make wing plates for a TRS.

joseph m. hahnl
11-28-2005, 05:55 PM
so when we're talking hydraulic steering? from the steering wheel to the outdrive? or hydraulic cylinders on the outside of the transom?

joe

Cuda
11-28-2005, 06:04 PM
You can get it either way.

Ed Donnelly
11-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Cuda; Imco make a wing plate for the TRS single and dual ram. Around $350.00........Ed

farmer tx
11-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Good luck with XS. I have been waiting on a system for my TRS since the first week of June. Nothing yet.

Mark

Rootsy
11-29-2005, 06:53 AM
I built my own... the material was pretty much donated to me except for one piece of 12 x 12 x .375 316L which was like 50 bucks from mcmaster-carr...

altogether i have about $750 bucks into the system... it is all polished stainless... i did all of the machine work and assembly... i bought an XS cylinder from Hilsinger and had to twist his arm to get that out of them... that was something like 450 bucks... the rest of the cost was stainless fasteners, the imco manifold for my existing PS valve, fittings and hoses... there is almost $250 bucks in Aeroquip SS braided hose and fittings... just on my single ram add-on system...

so no matter how you cut it... it isn't cheap...

smoothie built his own for less than what i have into mine using an industrial cylinder and either powdercoating or painting all of the machined components.

i also have roughly 45 hours into the machine work and polishing alone... and another 8 or so into the mock-up and assembly...

but it's worth it.. every stinkin penny

p729lws
11-29-2005, 09:02 AM
Good luck with XS. I have been waiting on a system for my TRS since the first week of June. Nothing yet.
Mark

Mark,
who are you buying from?
Thanks,
Dan

Woodsy
11-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Any Ideas on what system is used on the 26ZX? I know its an add-on single cylinder (No hydraulic helm). I would really like to upgrade the boat to full hydraulic.

Any ideas on who I need to contact, or what parts I need?

Woodsy

PS: I am also going to need a set of 150S or 280S K-Planes....

blackhawk
11-29-2005, 10:20 AM
I will probably be selling all these parts very soon. Cylinder, transom mount, wing plate stud and brazil valve are all brand new. Hydraulic helm is used but looks and works perfect. You would need a wing plate, hydraulic lines, clevis pins and thru-hull fittings to put a full system together. I was going to put this on my boat but it looks like I have it sold. I will sell all the steering components seperate from the helm but I'm not going to break up the steering parts. If anyone is interested let me know.

Mr X
11-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Scott, I would like to buy the wing plate (or piece that connects the ram to the Blackhawk drive)
Do you have that? Could you please post a picture of it?
Thanks
Ted

Lenny
11-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Here's a couple of rams on OSO...
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-7017.html

blackhawk
11-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Scott, I would like to buy the wing plate (or piece that connects the ram to the Blackhawk drive)
Do you have that? Could you please post a picture of it?
Thanks
Ted

Ted, I don't have a wing plate. All I have is what is listed/pictured.

TOP1GUN
11-29-2005, 10:49 AM
I Have Latham Hydrolic Steering In My Action And It Bad@ss A Lot Of People With This Kind Of Boats Like Cable Steering But I Wouldn't Trade My Latham For That Or Anything Else. My 002

Top1gun

Forrest
11-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Cuda, except for the stainless-steel external rams, you can build a hydraulic power steering system for a somewhat reasonable price. You'll need an open center hydrostatic helm unit, either a Char-Lynn or Danfoss in 160cc for twin rams or 125cc for a single ram. Northern tool has a deal on Danfoss (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?in_merch=1&storeId=6970&productId=48526&R=48526). You will also want a nice stainless steering column with a 3/4" taper shaft and the associated mouting parts. Imco Navada as well as other folks sell that stuff. A local hydraulic shop can build the lines and supply the non-stainless fittings for inside-the-boat. Your existing TRS power-steering cooler and pump will work just fine. Now, all you need is to find a deal on a stainless-steel ram or rams, a wing plate and a stainless steel lines that run from the transom to the ram(s).

DAULEY
12-01-2005, 07:29 PM
i have a complete setup from my squadron im going to sell if anyones interested let me know donot know if it works was on boat when i bought it with no motor i can email pixs

DAULEY
12-02-2005, 08:28 AM
there are pix in talk about other boat
under 1983 squadron
trs trans and transom assembly and steering all for sale