PDA

View Full Version : This chaps me

Cuda
11-19-2005, 09:44 PM
If the government would do their job better, maybe private companies wouldn't have to bear the brunt of doing what should be a governmental task.:mad:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051119/ap_on_re_us/wal_mart_illegal_workers

boxy
11-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Joe, how is a private company hiring unqualified workers the government's fault ?

Cuda
11-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Joe, how is a private company hiring unqualified workers the government's fault ?
It isn't a matter of unqualified, it's ilegal workers. Do you see the difference?

boxy
11-19-2005, 10:10 PM
I see the difference, but if they entered the country on visitor visas, the same way that I used to cross the border daily, then go to work for a company that hires illegal workers, how do you stop that ?

Cuda
11-19-2005, 10:21 PM
I just don't see how the government does nothing to control our borders to speak of, but expect employers to be forgery experts when a legal looking document is presented. If so, the employers should receive a check from US Customs for services rendered. I guess we can all put a forgery expert on payroll.:angryfire

Cuda
11-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Hell, the government gives them driver's licenses, education, and welfare. I think they should fine themselves a few billion.:splat:

boxy
11-19-2005, 10:26 PM
If we can agree that the companies hiring these workers don't know they are illegals, then I agree that it is the government's responsibility to ensure the documentation is legitimate.
In reading the article you posted, though, I find it hard to believe that this company didn't know who was on their payroll.

Cuda
11-19-2005, 10:29 PM
If we can agree that the companies hiring these workers don't know they are illegals, then I agree that it is the government's responsibility to ensure the documentation is legitimate.
In reading the article you posted, though, I find it hard to believe that this company didn't know who was on their payroll.
That was my point. Companies that knowingly hire illegals should be fined, but if you do what the law requires as far as documentation, they shouldn't be able to blame the company for the faults of the government.

boxy
11-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Cool, so I can go back to the Edmonton/Chicago game now then ..... :D

Cuda
11-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Cool, so I can go back to the Edmonton/Chicago game now then ..... :D
:biggrin:

It hasn't been a lot of fun watching the Lightning this year. :(

boxy
11-19-2005, 10:44 PM
I was goint to mention that, but my shy Canadian demeanor was preventing me from saying "I told you so" :D :D

It's a long season, they have a great coach, it'll take some time for them to find their game, then they should be okay.

harbormaster
11-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Being from near the Texas/Mexico Border I see a lot of undocumented workers. They do not enter this company with guest visas. They walk across the border. When they get caught they get a free bus ticket back home sometimes. Other times they aer detained and then released with a summons to appear in court! How ludicrous is that?

This wilcontinue to happen until we start imprisoning some of thse people for breaking the law.

People these days are sweeping the problem under the rug and not calling them illegal aliens anymore. They call them by the more gentler name; "undocumented alien". Now they can feel better about themselves.

Crimes are rampant within 50 miles of the border and these areas are unsafe because of the all the bad people coming across.
When some folk in the south were disgusted with with the inaction of the border patrol they organized the "minutemen". Their goal is to help the border patrol stop and detain as many of these illegal aliens.

A local Latin American specia; interest group, LULAC had a cow calling the minutemen racist. A black legislator called them the same thing.

Check this out. A town in the USA near the border has now made Spanish the official language!

A Mexican government official has referred to all the Mexicans coming across the US border as the silent invasion.

Schnook
11-20-2005, 09:43 AM
I grew up in Corpus Christi, so I've had a bit of experience with illegals. The vast majority are just looking to make an honest buck doing construction, or cleaning houses, or working in fields. Excuse my sarcasm, but I don't see millions of documented Canadians or anyone else clamoring to fill these positions. I agree the situation could be handled better, but think about the consequences of the solution before you eliminate the problem.

Ed Donnelly
11-20-2005, 07:30 PM
You have no idea how hard it is for Joe Canadian to get a green card.
Even with a job waiting for you, the local union has to put out feelers far and wide, to find someone else. If your parents are dual citizens, and have been for over 35 yrs, you just don't get a green card handed to you. Half of the building cleaning crews in Canada are either Mexican or South American.. They get jobs here, because the people on walefare, are too lazy to work for minimum wage................Ed

harbormaster
11-20-2005, 11:05 PM
I tried to help the guy who does my fiberglass work get legal. Our compant has made it almost impossible for the poor working man to get legal.

Schnook
11-21-2005, 03:30 PM
You have no idea how hard it is for Joe Canadian to get a green card.
Even with a job waiting for you, the local union has to put out feelers far and wide, to find someone else. If your parents are dual citizens, and have been for over 35 yrs, you just don't get a green card handed to you. Half of the building cleaning crews in Canada are either Mexican or South American.. They get jobs here, because the people on walefare, are too lazy to work for minimum wage................Ed

Actually, I have relatives overseas who've tried for years to get a visa to visit, even presenting a round trip ticket as proof of return, so I do have an idea of the difficulties involved. The problem is you should have been from Texas :us-texas: It's kind of like living on Mt. Olympus, gazing down upon the mortals...:jestera:
An increasingly large part of the immigration issue is, good or bad, Hispanics are the fastest growing segment of the population, and I think the largest minority, so politicians will be less and less willing to take the risk of alieniating a significant part of their constituency.

Like how I worked alien-ate in there? yeah, I'll be here all week.