PDA

View Full Version : The start of something new

onesubdrvr
11-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Well, I've done it,....
didn't ask anyone, just did it, and it's about time, we were kinda behind the 8 ball as an organization goes,..... hey, what can I say, we're too busy boating!!
No great shakes, but, check it out,.... my work in progress :biggrin:
www.southeastdonzi.net

olredalert
11-17-2005, 09:39 PM
--------Bitchin,,,,,You just went on my favorites list. Hope somebody posts there soon!!!..................Bill S

ChromeGorilla
11-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Nice job Wayne.... I got a bunch of SEADOG pictures for ya...... to many to email. I will burn a cd and mail it to you...:wavey:

RedDog
11-18-2005, 01:02 AM
I like the idea as long as you don't start diverting content from here - such as technical information interchange, event photos, event planning, daily boating news, Cuda's latest breakdown :smile:, etc.

Heck - if you're posting SEADOG specific info, you need to recognize that the rest of the Donzi world still wants to know what is going on and might miss something if it is not duplicated in both places. We really want to hear it in our off season (us guys north of FL)

Maybe a SEADOGs forum on here, the DonziNet, might be a better strategy. I know you are just trying things out - call it an experiment, but you may want to reconsider....

I guess a SEADOG specific site isn't a precedence. There are other out-liers such as ... I don't even know the names - East Coast, Lake Placid, Midwest, something else Donzi..... I guess that is my point. Satellite sites should strive to be closely tied and clearly linked from here - if it gets divided up we lose our unique closeness and "brotherhood". That requires close coordination and integration with the HM. I see value in these sites and the management of them by their own webmasters, but maybe there should be highly visible hot links from the DonziNet from the main page. I don't know. It just seems that multiple "Owners Group" sites are only going to dilute the potential for the sharing of information and joy among an internationally diverse group.

RedDog
11-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Nice job Wayne.... I got a bunch of SEADOG pictures for ya...... to many to email. I will burn a cd and mail it to you...:wavey:

Are these already on the DonziNet? Many of us would like to see them here too...

onesubdrvr
11-18-2005, 05:58 AM
I like the idea as long as you don't start diverting content from here - such as technical information interchange, event photos, event planning, daily boating news, Cuda's latest breakdown :smile:, etc.

Heck - if you're posting SEADOG specific info, you need to recognize that the rest of the Donzi world still wants to know what is going on and might miss something if it is not duplicated in both places. We really want to hear it in our off season (us guys north of FL)

Maybe a SEADOGs forum on here, the DonziNet, might be a better strategy. I know you are just trying things out - call it an experiment, but you may want to reconsider....

I guess a SEADOG specific site isn't a precedence. There are other out-liers such as ... I don't even know the names - East Coast, Lake Placid, Midwest, something else Donzi..... I guess that is my point. Satellite sites should strive to be closely tied and clearly linked from here - if it gets divided up we lose our unique closeness and "brotherhood". That requires close coordination and integration with the HM. I see value in these sites and the management of them by their own webmasters, but maybe there should be highly visible hot links from the DonziNet from the main page. I don't know. It just seems that multiple "Owners Group" sites are only going to dilute the potential for the sharing of information and joy among an internationally diverse group.

You have a good point there, and I agree, as far as I'm concerned, www.donzi.net is the place to be. Like I said on the front page, the idea is similiar to the atlantic coast donzi, midwest donzi / etc, just our own little site. It isn't meant to take away from here, but rather extend the Donzi exposure. I'm sure everyone will post here as well, I would hope for duplicate posts vice only posting there, and if it becomes an issue, I'll have to re-examine things.

Thanks for addressing your concerns!

Wayne

onesubdrvr
11-18-2005, 06:00 AM
Thanks Scott, I look forward to it!!

Sam
11-18-2005, 08:28 AM
Looks great Wayne !!!!!!!!!

mattyboy
11-18-2005, 10:05 AM
the layout looks like it is designed to do nothing but compete with this site and devert content??
a performance talk, for sale section, I can see photo sections and event sections promoting the group and it's members and events or sections designed to fit a geographical need like the hunting section, the other club sites don't have posting or chatting just email
otherwise I think it is great

onesubdrvr
11-18-2005, 03:24 PM
the layout looks like it is designed to do nothing but compete with this site and devert content??
a performance talk, for sale section, I can see photo sections and event sections promoting the group and it's members and events or sections designed to fit a geographical need like the hunting section, the other club sites don't have posting or chatting just email
otherwise I think it is great
Matty,

Thanks for the input, and I agree, I have gone back and pruned the forums - I won't get rid of them, but I have made them a little more area specific. As far as the chat, I don't think that it will take away from anything here - opinions here would be appreciated - if it does, I'll shut it down. As I stated earlier, my intention is not to compete with donzi.net. This is the first web site that I've created - and most likely the only one I'll do. Donzi.net has been like an online second home to me, I enjoy it, and don't want to take anything away from it.

Thanks again, I appreciate the input.

Wayne

Cuda
11-18-2005, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't worry about the chat thing. I've never been on it here. It would be cool if we had an evening when people would meet at a certain time for chat.

onesubdrvr
11-19-2005, 10:55 AM
--------Bitchin,,,,,You just went on my favorites list. Hope somebody posts there soon!!!..................Bill S
Thanks Bill!

I hope it doesn't cause controversy,.....it's my first time doing a website, really just for fun

Talk to 'ya later
Wayne

boldts
11-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Wayne,

I think the website is something the Seadogs can use and in today's Internet, a great way to advertize for virtually free. When I started the Midwest Donzi Club, it was because of this website here. The Donzi Registry. So, our club website was developed as an avenue to meet other Donzi owners. I don't feel it competes with the Registry in any way because it is nothing more than an advertisement for a yearly Donzi gathering and a listing of Donzi owners all over the world. I request pictures of the owners boat so that someone wanting to see a certain year or type of Donzi has a visual to go by. I used to link the owners e-mail address to their listing also, but due to today's problems with spam and even people using the Internet to find people, I've taken all those links off our website. It's a shame, but people's security, has become such an important part of a website design now.

After 5 years now, I'm working on a new look for our club site. Something that I think a lot of people sometimes forget is that our website at least is done by a single person, in that person's free time and at my expense. My home P/C broke and I'm saving to fix or replace it now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for money! It's just a side of a website that many don't understand or see. Yes, we sell t-shirts for our gathering every year and hold an auction at the gathering for money. That money is always put back into expences for the next year's gathering and shared with the Registry to help keep this website on-line. Many would truely miss this site if it were gone. I only hope that since our first year, we've improved the gathering and kept it fun for everyone attending.

My goal for not only the gathering, but for the club is to introduce people to Donzi boats and of course, Donzi owners. That doesn't mean that someone with any other Aronow originally formed boat company can't be a member. That includes Cigarettes, Magnums, Formulas, etc. I invite all to come and enjoy our gathering with us. If someone who owns a Baja, Checkmate, Chris Craft, American Offshore, Skater, Ski Nautique or any other boat maker wants to join us at our Donzi gathering, I'm all for it! After all, we don't own the water, we're sharing it with any other boater who wants to be there. Ya never know, them seeing Donzi boats, might just bring them into a Donzi dealership the next time they are looking to buy a boat.

Point being, I think you have a great idea in developing a website where Donzi owners can find out more about the Seadogs and their happenings throughout the year. I'd just hate to see Registry members not be able to see as in pictures of gatherings and of course all the talk and adventure of a Donzi gathering that in the past has always been shared with everyone here on the Registry. This site is actually bigger than the Donzi website. If someone wants to know anything about a Donzi boat, there are more answers here usually then what can be found on the Donzi site unless you want to see whats available for upcomming product lines, dealer locations, or of course, what the Donzi race teams are doing. This website is about the family named Donzi. Whether it be help needed by a Donzi owner to fix their boat or maybe that special personel advice we sometimes need.

As soon as possible, I'll add a link to the Seadogs website and list as many of the gatherings on our calendar as I can. Again, as advertisement and a way to get the word out to other boat owners.

onesubdrvr
11-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Scott,

I agree whole heartedly,....if someone wants to know something about Donzi's, the place to come is here, not donzi marine, or seadogs, or midwest or whatever, and I don't want that to change. The wealth of Donzi information here I dare say belittles all other comparable websites. Although I have message boards, I think you'll find they are very area specific, as to try to keep the all real traffic here. If I suspect anything starts taking away from this site, I'll REALLY restrict, or even eliminate the forums. What I'm trying to do is, like you, introduce as many people to the world of Donzi's as I can.

I think, that many people with their toys, want to share with as many people as possible. I don't think that Cuda for example would post his pictures on the SEADOG site only, I know he post here, there, OSO, etc. I'm the same way, I love my boat, and just want to share.

I really don't think that after the success of this site that my little site will take away from here. This is the Mecca. If anyone really suspects so, if they point it out to me, I will on my word, make it a more simple website. This out of respect for the entire Donzi family here. I like you am paying for the hosting out of my pocket, for fun and to help spread the Donzi dream.

Wayne

onesubdrvr
02-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Well, been toying around with the site again, still under construction, but would love some feedback,

Thanks!
Wayne

www.southeastdonzi.net

Last Tango
02-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Nice site, Wayne. I really like the idea of having a SEADOGs home on the web. It does take the edge off of me worrying about upcoming events and communication when this site crashes from time to time or when Harbormaster is working on this site. I like the idea of at least some forum space so we can communicate in the event of a problem with this website.
I do agree with all that the Donzi.net should remain our main page and main line of communication. However, I have longed for years to have a SEADOG website and I'm very happy with what you have done so far.
I would like to suggest that you do a cut-and-paste of the SEADOG's 2006 Calendar of events from this site (as the creator of that thread, I have no problem with you using it) and posting it as a permanent sticky on the events page of your site.
Please also feel free to use any of my posts from the Angel Aid scheduling thread in the same manner, as well. These threads wouls serve and information points for those who stumble upon us from other directions.
Perhaps you can hyperlink the ANGEL AID Scheduling thread and send folks directly there from your site. It would then lead them to the main site for other info as well.
I, too, will add this to my tool bar favorites and keep an eye on the threads to see what we SEADOGS want to talk about. Stuff like the Cosmic Top Secret SEADOG Handshake, and any new SEADOG T-shirt designs.
Perhaps we could fund the site with Donzi dealer adds and such. I like what Harbormaster has done with his advertising. Perhaps a Donzi dealer would be willing to help out financially and get more exposure. They do have "territories" so you need to be aware of that.

Dr. Dan
02-18-2006, 09:33 PM
:smash: Wayne good luck, no worries I am sure most everyone will still use the Registry, after all it's a SEADOG Site as I see it. Lots of Groups have Websites.

Just so we are clear ...the Atlantic Coast Group is strictly an Owners Association, created & operated by Brad, Dwight & Myself to assist in raising monies and create items to help to sponser the existing Events and this Forum! The Donzi Registry.

Our goal is to someday add another Mid Country Regional Event, which would change each year as to Venue Location. Our Merchandise is selected with quality, durabilty as well as practicality in function. The items are available to anyone, with or without our Atlantic Coast lettering, giving you the flexibility to Sport Donzi logo merchandise, regardless of your location or desire to promote our Group. Where else can you get that? Nowhere!!

We do host alot of pics, and well Brad is the Genious who shoots most of the Event Photos you see anyway, unless Poodle is around at any of the Events.

With our soon to be released Spring Line up of Merchandise....it's gonna be a stylin year to be sure.

I just wanted to be sure that people understood, you won't find chat on our site, you won't find forums either, in fact we are actually not a club. Our mission is to promote Donzi Marine, the Owners and their respective Regional Clubs and Events, and to keep the memory & spirit of Don Aronow's Legacy alive, with Panache', Style and understated Class.

These are some of the groups or events we contribute to:

Lake George Donzi Club Events
Currently 2 Events The DustOff & The Fall Picnic.

1000 Islands - Alexandria Bay, New York

Lake Winnie Donzi Club Events - Currently the Lake Winnie Poker Run.

Jackson Marine Poker Run - Northern Chesapeake Bay, Maryland

The Donzi Owners Rally - Sarasota

I am also going to be sending some charm towards the Awakening Event this year. So that when I can make it to Kentucky again ... I will be welcomed? No Silly String! :spongebob

We have been very fortunate to have made so many close friends here and we always will endeavor to support our friends at the Donzi Registry Community, our inside friends at Donzi Marine, and the many who have earned a special place forever in our hearts like Mike Miller and Steve Simon.

All the Best

Go Seadogs Go!

Doc of the Bay :smash:
www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com

onesubdrvr
03-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, was making some changes to the board the other day, and had a critical failure of the phpBB database, all users, messages, forums / etc. were lost. :bawling:

So, I've done a couple of little upgrades, and will be "pruning" the forums again, so if you registered in the forum before (all 4 of you :rolleyes: ), I'm gonna need to get you to do it again.

Changes - more navigable message board, ability to upload pictures to the forum. Also I'm playing with different forum "topic" ideas.

Thanks
Wayne
www.southeastdonzi.net

onesubdrvr
03-18-2006, 11:10 AM
OK,

Did some database recovery late last night / early this morning,

you SHOULD be able to log on using your old username and password, let me know if otherwise

Thanks
Wayne
OneSubDrvr@southeastdonzi.net