PDA

View Full Version : I Got It! I Got It! I Got It!

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
11-14-2005, 08:29 PM
After years of hounding the previous owner to sell me his boat, it is sitting in my Dad's driveway!
The boat I've been lusting after for years now, a 1968 18' 2+3 Barrelback V-Drive is finally mine!
It was originally owned and used on Lake George by a member of the Freihofer family, of Freihofer Bakery fame. The colors; white sides & bottom, yellow deck w/ white stripe and seats, reminded him of the Honey Buns made by his family's bakery, so he named the boat "Honey Bun".
The previous owner worked at a Donzi dealership where it was traded in. He had it on Lake Bomoseen in VT where I saw him, flagged him down and bummed a ride (my first in a Donzi).
Years later, when I joined this forum and decided I wanted a Donzi, I asked him if he'd sell me the boat, but he was reluctant to part with it. He took my number anyway and promised me a call if and when he was ready to sell.
A couple years ago I got tired of waiting and bought a '67 Barrelback from Michigan.
Every once in awhile I'd call him just to see if he'd changed his mind, but he was still on the fence about selling.
About a month ago, Dad called to say "guess who's put a For Sale sign on his boat". I called the owner again. He apologized for losing my number, then told me he had another buyer that was coming to look at it Sunday, but if that fell through he'd call me. Well, he called late last week to tell me that the other buyer was in the same "boat" I was in, in that he had to sell his current boat to raise the cash for Honey Bun. So, it was a race to see who could sell their boat first! I then, of course, told the tale to Dad who called me back the next day and offered to buy Honey Bun saying I could pay him back when I sold the '67. Superdad to the rescue! Thanks, Dad!
I'm so psyched! This makes up for the summer being over!

Eric

Now I just have one too many Barrelback 18s.

RedDog
11-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Congrats - now give us some pictures!

Mr X
11-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Awesome story!!! Congratulations!!!!
You have a very cool dad!!!
Nothing like the thrill of buying the boat of your dreams!!

Chili 18
11-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Nice! I love happy endings. :beer:

DonCig
11-14-2005, 10:02 PM
FlatRacer, my Dad has helped me many times in my career, but I finally got the opportunity twice in the last 12 years to show him that I truly appreciated his guidance and generosity.
1. When I named my 12 year old son.
2. The second time was when I gave him the keys to his as new 1996 Cigarette 20'.

I think I could make a case for his excitement on each occasion!

I would suggest that you give him a set of keys to your fabulous new Donzi!

DonCig

RedDog
11-14-2005, 10:14 PM
When I named my 12 year old son
Don - I hate to get off topic here, but why did you wait 12 years to name your son? I've heard of indecision, but that's something else...:biggrin:

Mr X
11-15-2005, 06:56 AM
Don - I hate to get off topic here, but why did you wait 12 years to name your son? I've heard of indecision, but that's something else...:biggrin:
ROFLMAO!! I was just getting ready to type in the same thing!!

penbroke
11-15-2005, 07:37 AM
Congrads Eric!! Can't wait to see it...

Frank

Kirk
11-15-2005, 07:56 AM
That's a great story....

Your DAD sounds like a great guy

Now lets see some pics of the boats

KJ

txtaz
11-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Cool story, congrats. I always love getting the things I have to work at. There is more value in it for me.
Uhmm, it only took Don two weeks to name a website...Priorities my man priorities...:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:
Da Taz

MOP
11-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Great the very best of luck with it, glad to see another fine Donzi has stayed up North.

Phil

harbormaster
11-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Where's the freakin' pictures?????

mattyboy
11-15-2005, 11:38 AM
flat,
cool news
yes we want pics that sounds like a very uncommon color scheme
usually the decks are white or the same color as the hull like tony's 16 all red hull and deck with a white stripe or Di' 16 all baby blue with white stripe but an all white hull yellow deck and white stripe pretty neat
good luck

11-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Yeah, the one thing that always kept Dad and me connected was the love of boats and just being out on the water (even if we don't care much for fishing). Whether it's hanging out with the woodie crowd at ACBS functions, or racing the flatbottom, or hobnobbing with the Donzi boys (something I hope to do more of in the coming years) it just seems better when Dad's there to share it.
We did name our two year old son, Jack, after him although we didn't wait two years to do it! LOL! I hope Jack likes boating as much as his Grandpa and I do, so he can continue the tradition. He'll certainly have a cool collection to choose from.
Unfortunately, I'm here in NYC and the boat's up in VT with Dad. He's "Analog Man" and wants nothing to do with computers or digital cameras, so the pics are gonna have to wait. Sorry, fellas. I'll try to get up there soon. Maybe Mom can snap some shots.

Eric

11-22-2005, 04:37 PM
I got Mom to shoot some pics:

Mr X
11-22-2005, 04:55 PM
WOW!!!
Very nice, it sure looks pretty!!!
Congrats again!

I would like to see it with the correct "vintage" decals on the side.......

penbroke
11-22-2005, 08:27 PM
I feel a big lake cruise comming on...

Looks great! I want a ride...

Frank

11-22-2005, 11:43 PM
You got it, Frank! I'm looking forward to it.

I dunno, X. I kinda like the big logo. But then again, if I can find the correct original style decals, I'd probably swap them out.

Eric

mattyboy
11-23-2005, 07:41 AM
eric,
first one ever that I've seen with a darker deck than hull pretty cool, is it original or did they paint it??? the original black and white decals and flags are available
richard weaver has them I believe

and stay on that big lake, don't run on greenwood lake with our weather this summer we have some obstacles that have been popping up

good luck with the new boat

hey guys got a question in all the donzi freaks out there with multiple boats like mr x with his X 18's has anyone ever had 2 barrelbacks at the same time ??? ;)

EricG
11-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Congrats on the boat of your dreams!! What a great story. My dad and I have done the same thing for each other over the years...it always makes it a little more fun when you get to enjoy the rush of buying a toy with someone else, even if it's just a loan. Our best was when I bought my Resorter and he helped me hide it away in an out of the way shop so my step-mother wouldn't discover it until the other boat sold :biggrin.:

-EG
"um dad, you know how you forgot to give me a birthday present, well there's this 27 Magnum I've got my eye on in California...can I borrow $50k for a few years?"

11-23-2005, 01:40 PM
has anyone ever had 2 barrelbacks at the same time ??? ;)

I sure hope I don't have my two for very long. I gotta pay Dad back for the Honey Bun soon or Mom's gonna freak! :kaioken: :cussball:

Eric

superhatz
11-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Great looking boat!......it looks like the deck might be Inca Gold? My dad and I had a '67 16 Ski Sporter that had Inca Gold (greenish) sides and white hull and deck.

I love the color combo.....and I'll throw in another vote for original stickers....:)

Have fun......

Aaron

gcarter
11-24-2005, 08:01 AM
Congratulations Eric!
I just got a chance to read this, been outa town.
It's a really great looking boat.

markdonzi
11-29-2005, 07:39 AM
I remember that boat a a kid on Lake George. Honey Bun would fly up and down the lake around sunset with 4 or 5 other donzis. mr Freihofer had another boat after that, something like an open cigarette with twin somethings was called "Cookie Monster" always loved the name. Nice looking boat enjoy!!!
markdonzi

11-29-2005, 10:48 PM
I remember that boat a a kid on Lake George. Honey Bun would fly up and down the lake around sunset with 4 or 5 other donzis. mr Freihofer had another boat after that, something like an open cigarette with twin somethings was called "Cookie Monster" always loved the name. Nice looking boat enjoy!!!
markdonzi

Thanks Mark. I LOVE stories like that! It's definitely a "blast up the lake after dinner" kind of boat.
Thanks for providing me with a mental picture that'll help me survive another New York winter. Hmm...where's my Beach Boys CD?

Eric